Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Re: Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Post by ShelC »

Apparently it's part of some M. Night Shyamalan universe that includes Unbreakable. There's another movie he's making now called Glass that will combine the characters from both movies.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The violence in Charlottesville was sad but, predictable. Hate always wins out over reason. Trump was right about one thing, it was two sides who came to do battle. I watched the video clips and both sides were wearing helmets, protective gear and even shields. The white supremacists came a little more prepared but, their counterparts were there to fight too. Some people came to just protest. I get it, they blame each other and hate each other and want to get a few licks in to satisfy their thirst for vengeance and to show the world and the other side that they aren't backing down.

The guy that mowed down the people was a murderer. He got all worked up by his cause and the events of the day made him decide to take action and satisfy his thirst for vengence against the evil people he despises.

Trump not condemning the supremacists fast enough issue. Trump imo didn't want to piss off any of his base but, because of the public outcry was forced to make a speech condemning nazi's and white supremacists. I dislike Trump so much because of the person he is, or isn't. For me he has been the complete opposite of the persone we need in office. The only good thing about Trump is that he has brought a lot of issues to the forfront forcing us as a nation to deal with them. So far we haven't really dealt with the issues with Trump as President but, they are front and center. Washington and Trump have totally failed. They are so busy trying to satisfy their base that the only thing they can accomplish is bashing the other side. We have tried that approach already with not so good results.

Don't know what to say. We humans suck.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/346602 ... weets-ever

Former President Obama's tweet in the wake of the violent clashes at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., is one of the most popular tweets of all time.

On Saturday, Obama tweeted a quote from late South African President Nelson Mandela.

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." Obama tweeted Saturday.

In subsequent tweets, Obama continued the quote, which read: "People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love ... For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
By Tuesday, the first tweet from Obama had nearly 2.5 million likes and about 1 million retweets.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Now that is a President.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897575723443027968

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897575876950413312

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897576135592214532

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897576296204644353

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897577018451267584

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/897577823820537856

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The President's awful response to this tragedy and violence might be the worst thing he has done as President. And that is saying a lot, especially in a week where he literally also almost got us into a nuclear war.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Too bad for the rest of us Marco Rubio puts party allegiance before anything else. Those are some empty statements from him considering all the other things Trump has already said that has resulted in similar responses from Rubio only for him to remain in his political corner.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack wrote:The violence in Charlottesville was sad but, predictable. Hate always wins out over reason. Trump was right about one thing, it was two sides who came to do battle. I watched the video clips and both sides were wearing helmets, protective gear and even shields. The white supremacists came a little more prepared but, their counterparts were there to fight too. Some people came to just protest. I get it, they blame each other and hate each other and want to get a few licks in to satisfy their thirst for vengeance and to show the world and the other side that they aren't backing down.

The guy that mowed down the people was a murderer. He got all worked up by his cause and the events of the day made him decide to take action and satisfy his thirst for vengence against the evil people he despises.

Trump not condemning the supremacists fast enough issue. Trump imo didn't want to piss off any of his base but, because of the public outcry was forced to make a speech condemning nazi's and white supremacists. I dislike Trump so much because of the person he is, or isn't. For me he has been the complete opposite of the persone we need in office. The only good thing about Trump is that he has brought a lot of issues to the forfront forcing us as a nation to deal with them. So far we haven't really dealt with the issues with Trump as President but, they are front and center. Washington and Trump have totally failed. They are so busy trying to satisfy their base that the only thing they can accomplish is bashing the other side. We have tried that approach already with not so good results.

Don't know what to say. We humans suck.
I agree with all of this. It should go without saying that there's no defending neo-nazis, white supremacists/nationalists/alt-right, KKK. But I also don't agree with the anti-racist marchers and protesters showing up to do battle, as you said. Protest and march in peace to make your statement, otherwise you're dropping down to the other side's level and giving their supporters more reason to join the fight, literally and figuratively. There were rabbis, priests, imams in locked arms saying prayers and protesting peacefully. They were making their point the right way. But I don't think peaceful protesters show up with helmets, protective gear, weapons, cans shooting out fire. Even if their intentions and viewpoints are correct, that's not the way to go about it. Just as protesting at the inauguration shouldn't have led to broken storefronts and car fires. That's not democracy. That's anarchy. I feel the same way about the mob of people that brought down the statue in Durham. I agree with the sentiment, I don't agree with the action.

And while it may not be a popular opinion, I believe the mass media and social media are both playing a huge part in inciting a lot of this. Plenty of NSM groups have marched every year and it wasn't covered by the MSM. They were covered by local news outlets and then they went away. People ignored them, didn't give them an audience, didn't react, and these groups slithered back underground. But if you watch the news and read social media, now "This is America in 2017". "This is Trump's America". No, this is nothing new. They're just being given coverage now because of Trump. It shines a light on a lot of issues that have been there, but without actual solutions and real discussions, there will only be more clashes and talk of a Civil War, which the media will feed off of for ratings and clicks.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I agree with all of that. The media is all about ratings and sensationalism. I want more facts, less opinion from them. The media is biased and they definitely stir up the masses intentionally.

Cap

Post by Cap »

[youtube][/youtube]

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

That guy seems terrifying.

[youtube][/youtube]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The more I see, the more I blame the police. They let both sides act like damn fools until it escalated into a lost life and several others injured.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Oh great. Donald Trump plans on holding a rally in Phoenix. That's not going to go well. Why here?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/ ... index.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:Oh great. Donald Trump plans on holding a rally in Phoenix. That's not going to go well. Why here?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/ ... index.html
It may be related to an announcement to pardon Sheriff Joe. :-/ The mayor of Phoenix has already made an announcement saying that he wishes Trump wouldn't come speak there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:That guy seems terrifying.
Did you mean terrified?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This interview with Steve Bannon is pretty nuts. He talks a tough game, claiming that a lot of the current chaos and outrage is fine and even desired.

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He lives for chaos. There's a lot of suspicion that he's stirring the pot with that interview and just sending out misinformation (a trick Putin and his people are known for). Would he really give an "on the record" interview with a liberal magazine and then give out all that info? Info that could be seen as confidential or even classified? He tries to distance himself from the alt-right, which Breitbart helped promote and bring to the mainstream, gives away his supposed genius strategy for defeating the Dems, economic war with China, etc. Some people think he's sending a message to Trump in some way after Trump put him on notice, others think he was just feeling himself and ran his mouth.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Someone say chaos?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:Image
I must be showing my age, because this is what I think of every time I hear the word. I think this was my first context for it.