Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: Violence in Charlottesville. Car Plows Counter Protesters

Post by AmareIsGod »

For us younger folks scratching our head....

http://getsmart.wikia.com/wiki/KAOS
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:It's ironic because Trump goes out of his way not to name these groups nor condemn them, and the thinking is that he doesn't want to alienate his "base". Thing is, these groups are such a fraction of the population that there's no way this particular "base" could win him an election. He won because of republicans, independents and some Dems who went with him as a protest vote. Now, because he's dancing around this issue, a lot of them will (should) feel like there's no way they can be associated with this kind of base and President. There was even one leader of I think the NSM who said on Saturday they didn't even support Trump because he's a capitalist and hasn't "drained the swamp". So who's he really playing to? He'd garner much wider support calling these idiots out the way he calls out Hillary, McConnell, the media, etc. But this is the Bannon/Miller faction of the White House and most everyone knows it. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they're out of there.
Bannon's out!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
ShelC wrote:It's ironic because Trump goes out of his way not to name these groups nor condemn them, and the thinking is that he doesn't want to alienate his "base". Thing is, these groups are such a fraction of the population that there's no way this particular "base" could win him an election. He won because of republicans, independents and some Dems who went with him as a protest vote. Now, because he's dancing around this issue, a lot of them will (should) feel like there's no way they can be associated with this kind of base and President. There was even one leader of I think the NSM who said on Saturday they didn't even support Trump because he's a capitalist and hasn't "drained the swamp". So who's he really playing to? He'd garner much wider support calling these idiots out the way he calls out Hillary, McConnell, the media, etc. But this is the Bannon/Miller faction of the White House and most everyone knows it. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they're out of there.
Bannon's out!
One down, three to go.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was trying to decide whether to make a thread for "Bannon fired." But it probably is a sub-item under this whole Charlottesville thing.

I don't know what to make of his departure. Cynical me thinks maybe this is just symbolic, that he resigns to help Trump save face and acts as a fall guy for the racist/Nazi stuff, but he still advises him from the shadows or whatever and helps him with favorable coverage from gross Breitbart.

Optimistic me hopes that maybe this indicates that the Prez's set of allies and advisors is dwindling so much that even the horrible alt-right side can't work with him, and that maybe we're finally getting close to the inevitable impeachment.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I was trying to decide whether to make a thread for "Bannon fired." But it probably is a sub-item under this whole Charlottesville thing.

I don't know what to make of his departure. Cynical me thinks maybe this is just symbolic, that he resigns to help Trump save face and acts as a fall guy for the racist/Nazi stuff, but he still advises him from the shadows or whatever and helps him with favorable coverage from gross Breitbart.

Optimistic me hopes that maybe this indicates that the Prez's set of allies and advisors is dwindling so much that even the horrible alt-right side can't work with him, and that maybe we're finally getting close to the inevitable impeachment.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.
Unless Mueller finds something criminal, you can't impeach him just for being an asshole.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not as optimistic about Trump all of a sudden turning things around now that Bannon's out. That's what I've seen from some conservative sites and Trump supporters. I don't think Bannon really wielded that much power or control over Trump. Trump is Trump. He benefited from Bannon during the campaign by tapping into that base, but probably had no use for him once he won the election and Bannon probably caused more headaches than he was worth inside the WH. He also probably thought he could control Trump and really bring the outside forces in, remake the government and push his nationalist agenda but that was wishful thinking on his part. I think the last few months Bannon became more and more isolated within the DC political machine. I doubt he even has access to Trump now that he's out. In fact, I think he and Breitbart spin this against Trump and use their influence to try and take him down. They'll say he's changed or was never a true believer, sold out, going along with the usual DC politics, pushing a more centrist/Dem agenda, etc. Bannon wants a media empire and this could be his jumping off point.

I think Stephen Miller should be next on the list. He might be more dangerous than Bannon because he actually knows what he's doing. He's a veteran DC political operative with that white supremacist, nationalistic agenda/belief. He's not some media character with no experience.

carey

Post by carey »

Stephen Miller is only 31 years old. He is hardly a veteran DC political operative. He is definitely a Trump apologist & white nationalist troll dipstick tho. He and Gorka should be the next 2 out but I think Rex says "fuck this" and resigns first.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Stephen Miller is only 31 years old. He is hardly a veteran DC political operative. He is definitely a Trump apologist & white nationalist troll dipstick tho. He and Gorka should be the next 2 out but I think Rex says "f*** this" and resigns first.
Yep, when I said three to go, it was Miller, Gorka, and then finally Trump.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:I'm not as optimistic about Trump all of a sudden turning things around now that Bannon's out. That's what I've seen from some conservative sites and Trump supporters.
Of course not. Trump in an idiot. He can't be turned around. He can only be softened.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From Wikipedia:
After graduating from college, Miller worked as a press secretary for Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and Congressman John Shadegg, both members of the Republican Party.[24] Miller started working for Alabama Senator and future Attorney General Jeff Sessions in 2009,[24] rising to the position of communications director.[10] In the 113th Congress, Miller played a major role in defeating the bi-partisan Gang of Eight's proposed immigration reform bill.[10][24] As part of his role as communications director, Miller was responsible for writing many of the speeches Sessions gave about the bill.[25] Miller and Sessions developed what Miller describes as "nation-state populism," a response to globalization and immigration that would strongly influence Donald Trump's 2016 campaign. Miller also worked on Dave Brat's successful 2014 House campaign, which unseated Republican Majority Leader Eric Cantor.[10]

In January 2016, Miller joined Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign as a senior policy adviser.[24] Starting in March 2016, Miller frequently spoke on behalf of the Trump campaign, serving as a "warm-up act" for Trump.[10] Miller wrote the speech Trump gave at the 2016 Republican National Convention.[16] In August 2016, Miller was named as the head of Trump's economic policy team.[26]
Maybe "veteran DC political operative" was a little strong but he's been on the scene with the Republicans for almost 10 years.

carey

Post by carey »

Which still makes him a bit of a pup when you consider the age and experience of most political operatives. That said he has been an effective cancerous shit in his time so far & I hope the boil on the ass of democracy that is Miller gets eventually lanced.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I'm not as optimistic about Trump all of a sudden turning things around now that Bannon's out. That's what I've seen from some conservative sites and Trump supporters. I don't think Bannon really wielded that much power or control over Trump. Trump is Trump. He benefited from Bannon during the campaign by tapping into that base, but probably had no use for him once he won the election and Bannon probably caused more headaches than he was worth inside the WH. He also probably thought he could control Trump and really bring the outside forces in, remake the government and push his nationalist agenda but that was wishful thinking on his part. I think the last few months Bannon became more and more isolated within the DC political machine. I doubt he even has access to Trump now that he's out. In fact, I think he and Breitbart spin this against Trump and use their influence to try and take him down. They'll say he's changed or was never a true believer, sold out, going along with the usual DC politics, pushing a more centrist/Dem agenda, etc. Bannon wants a media empire and this could be his jumping off point.

I think Stephen Miller should be next on the list. He might be more dangerous than Bannon because he actually knows what he's doing. He's a veteran DC political operative with that white supremacist, nationalistic agenda/belief. He's not some media character with no experience.
I am with you in that these people saying that Trump is only a white supremacist because Bannon was around hasn't been paying attention (or being blatantly obtuse). When your father marches with the KKK and you are sued by the department of justice for refusing to rent to non-whites, it doesn't take a new influence when you are 70 years old to turn you into a racist. He was brought up that way.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A lot of people were brought up that way. Fathers pass down their beliefs to their offspring. It has been happening all over the planet for thousands of years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wasn't aware of Trump's father marching with the KKK. That explains a lot.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I wasn't aware of Trump's father marching with the KKK. That explains a lot.
To be completely fair, there isn't any proof of it. Only that he was arrested at a KKK march/rally in 1927. He could have been a counter-protester. I heard there were bad people on both sides.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I wasn't aware of Trump's father marching with the KKK. That explains a lot.
To be completely fair, there isn't any proof of it. Only that he was arrested at a KKK march/rally in 1927. He could have been a counter-protester. I heard there were bad people on both sides.
Many sides.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Stephen Miller is only 31 years old. He is hardly a veteran DC political operative. He is definitely a Trump apologist & white nationalist troll dipstick tho. He and Gorka should be the next 2 out but I think Rex says "f*** this" and resigns first.
Gorka's gone!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Gorka's gone!
Awesome! Two more!
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Woot there it is.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »