Trump pardons Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Trump pardons Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Post by Mori Chu »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/2 ... 3?lo=ap_d1

Grr. I haven't had to deal with Sheriff Joe and his antics much since I moved away from AZ in 2003. But I really didn't like the crackdowns he put in place on Hispanics and immigrants. Some of the stories about his policies are terrifying, about tent cities for prisoners, public humiliation, stopping people on the road because they looked Hispanic, detaining people without cause, and just generally harassing and mistreating Mexican-Americans and other immigrants.

This pardon really bums me out. If the President can just pardon anybody he wants for no good reason, what will happen if people are busted for Russia stuff?

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Trump pardons Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This pardon really bums me out. If the President can just pardon anybody he wants for no good reason, what will happen if people are busted for Russia stuff?
This was a point brought up by one of the panellists on Bill Maher's most recent show and I think it's concerning.

Besides that, what a scum bag. Pardoning a blatant racist like Arpaio is a disgusting abuse of power.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This pardon really bums me out. If the President can just pardon anybody he wants for no good reason, what will happen if people are busted for Russia stuff?
This was a point brought up by one of the panellists on Bill Maher's most recent show and I think it's concerning.

Besides that, what a scum bag. Pardoning a blatant racist like Arpaio is a disgusting abuse of power.
Of course one rascist is going to pardon another.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Of course one rascist is going to pardon another.
Exactly. All Joe was doing was his job.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arpaio styled himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff".[2][3] Starting in 2005, he took an outspoken stance against illegal immigration. In 2010, he became a flashpoint for opposition to Arizona's SB1070 anti-illegal immigrant law, which was largely struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.[4][5][6][7][8] Arpaio is also known for his investigation of former U.S. President Barack Obama's birth certificate, and, as of 2013, he continued to claim that it was forged.[9][10][11][12]

Arpaio has been accused of various types of police misconduct, including abuse of power; misuse of funds; failure to investigate sex crimes; improper clearance of cases; unlawful enforcement of immigration laws; and election law violations. A Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office's operations because of complaints of racial profiling. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.[13][14][15][16]

Indy

Post by Indy »

He is one of the most awful people to have power in the state of AZ in my lifetime--and that is saying a lot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So this is related to Arpaio but goes much deeper. Check out the clip below and it tells you everything Trump cares about.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yup, it's all about the ratings. That damn hurricane sure did put a damper on things. This is all just a reality show to Trump.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You know, I'm starting to think this Trump guy might be kind of a bad hombre.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:You know, I'm starting to think this Trump guy might be kind of a bad hombre.
The worst kind. A wolf in wolf's clothing.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:You know, I'm starting to think this Trump guy might be kind of a bad hombre.
Hey, wolves are strong. And they don't take anyone's shit. That is just what this country needs. Would you rather have a wolf or a women? Easy choice, right?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Hey, wolves are strong. And they don't take anyone's s***. That is just what this country needs. Would you rather have a wolf or a women? Easy choice, right?
:D :) :cry:
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ty-verdict
U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton issued an order Thursday shutting down requests by the sheriff's attorneys to have the facts behind the conviction thrown out after the pardon.

Bolton said in the order that Trump's pardon was an "executive prerogative of mercy, not of judicial recordkeeping," according to Politico.