Puerto Rico

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Puerto Rico

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we want to talk about this? A US territory full of millions of US citizens has been over 90% destroyed by the recent tropical storm. People over there are starving and dying. The President isn't doing much to help them, causing their governor and mayor to publicly criticize him and literally beg for help from anyone who can help them. Private citizens and companies have been flying over plane-loads of supplies to try to help.

Meanwhile the Prez is attacking the leaders of PR, saying they haven't paid enough fines/taxes to the US government, haven't done enough to help their people, and just want everything to be done for them. Oof.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/3 ... ane-243329

carey

Re: Puerto Rico

Post by carey »

I'm about to turn 41 and haven't always been political. That said, this is the worst thing I've ever heard a president say about a group of people, his own mind you, in my lifetime.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Is there really anything to talk about?

Trump is responding like the asshole he's always been.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My conservative FB friends are defending Trump to the end on this. They are saying that the whole thing is invented by the Democrats to entrap Trump and make him look bad. Saying that the Puerto Ricans are being partisan and attacking Trump, being ungrateful, and making it look like Trump is not helping them despite their having plenty of aid. I don't agree with any of that, but that's what they are saying.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven't done enough research on this. Trump says the governor of Puerto Rico has been praising his response and that the Liberal Mayor is just playing politics along with the Liberal Media, who is just looking for something to attack Trump with.

Trumps Twitter response is typical Trump. Be critical of him in any way and you can expect to be viciously attacked in the most personal way possible. Trump going after the citizens of Puerto Rico was par for the course. He just cannot help himself. He has to be an azz. The Mayors home was destroyed and she now lives in a shelter sleeping on a cot.

My honest opinion? I think Trump knew he would be attacked if his response to these hurricanes wasn't up to snuff and he tried to do a good job. He got good marks on his response to Texas and Florida but, Peurto Rico tripped him up. He doesn't seem to think of them as Americans and instead some needy third world country looking for a handout, therfore they get his wrath.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Don't forget that they're on an island. With lots of water around them.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

He doesn't seem to think of them as Americans and instead some needy third world country looking for a handout, therfore they get his wrath.
They are also mostly not white and not english speaking. Very different from Miami and Houston. It is his racism and xenophobia again.

By the way, after watching his speech, does anyone else get the impression he couldn't have found PR on a map before this situation occurred? And I don't mean he forgot if Haiti/DR was between Cuba and PR or PR was between Cuba and Haiti. I mean like he didn't know where it was.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
He doesn't seem to think of them as Americans and instead some needy third world country looking for a handout, therfore they get his wrath.
They are also mostly not white and not english speaking. Very different from Miami and Houston. It is his racism and xenophobia again.

By the way, after watching his speech, does anyone else get the impression he couldn't have found PR on a map before this situation occurred? And I don't mean he forgot if Haiti/DR was between Cuba and PR or PR was between Cuba and Haiti. I mean like he didn't know where it was.
Or that it is a U.S. territory.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That what I thought as well. He also never misses an opportunity to flip any attack towards him back onto the media to create more distrust.

PR- "The response from the US has been slow".

Trump - "No the response has been great, it's just not being covered properly by the liberal media which hates me."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
That what I thought as well. He also never misses an opportunity to flip any attack towards him back onto the media to create more distrust.

PR- "The response from the US has been slow".

Trump - "No the response has been great, it's just not being covered properly by the liberal media which hates me."
I heard that there is a lot of aid that's been delivered, but the logistics of distributing it in the devastated infrastructure of the island has been more than troublesome. Obviously, the priority needs to be to get the power back on, the roads cleared for aid and clean water made available, not necessarily in that order. Medical aid and rescue is also needed in high priority. You would hope that FEMA and PR have plans on dealing with this quickly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

These back to back hurricanes I'm sure has put a lot of strain on FEMA. All resources were probably poured into Texas. Then another hurricane hits Florida right after that. Add in Puerto Rico and you have a tough situation. I wonder if Mitt Romney was elected and he shut down FEMA like he promised, what would happen in these situations.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump's visit to PR today and his remarks have been really crude and insensitive. Poorly handled. Called PR not a "real catastrophe" like Katrina; criticized PR for having "thrown our budget a little out of whack" with the recovery costs; and more.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/0 ... sit-243382

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea but he was tossing out paper towels like he was shooting jumpers so it was kinda all good after that.