50+ Killed in Vegas

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: 50+ Killed in Vegas

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The NRA profits immensely whenever there is a shooting like this all over the news. A ton of guns and ammo are sold, and their org receives a bunch of donations and signups.
It kind of sounds like you are saying that the NRA celebrates this type of shooting. I know you are not doing that, but it's almost like those that are saying that they are glad that these white privilege rednecks got killed as most of them are probably gun toting NRA members, evil Republicans and they got what they deserved for supporting the 2nd amendment. Now, maybe we can finally start talking about eliminating guns in hands of loonies and criminals.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The NRA profits immensely whenever there is a shooting like this all over the news. A ton of guns and ammo are sold, and their org receives a bunch of donations and signups.
It kind of sounds like you are saying that the NRA celebrates this type of shooting. I know you are not doing that, but it's almost like those that are saying that they are glad that these white privilege rednecks got killed as most of them are probably gun toting NRA members, evil Republicans and they got what they deserved for supporting the 2nd amendment. Now, maybe we can finally start talking about eliminating guns in hands of loonies and criminals.
That's what Hayley Geftman-Gold said. She promptly found herself out of a job.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not at all glad that anyone has died. I am quite sad about it. I am also sad about all of the gun suicides and homicides every year in the US. I wish we could have a more reasoned discussion about some common sense gun regulations and restrictions. In particular, I wish that high-capacity bullet magazines, automatic and semi-automatic weapons were illegalized for private citizens, and I wish that we closed all loopholes that allow a person to buy a gun without a thorough background check (gun shows, etc.). I think these are reasonable things to ask for.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I am not at all glad that anyone has died. I am quite sad about it. I am also sad about all of the gun suicides and homicides every year in the US. I wish we could have a more reasoned discussion about some common sense gun regulations and restrictions. In particular, I wish that high-capacity bullet magazines, automatic and semi-automatic weapons were illegalized for private citizens, and I wish that we closed all loopholes that allow a person to buy a gun without a thorough background check (gun shows, etc.). I think these are reasonable things to ask for.
I would be for regulating all firearms with at least as much effort as we put into sudafed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I am not at all glad that anyone has died. I am quite sad about it. I am also sad about all of the gun suicides and homicides every year in the US. I wish we could have a more reasoned discussion about some common sense gun regulations and restrictions. In particular, I wish that high-capacity bullet magazines, automatic and semi-automatic weapons were illegalized for private citizens, and I wish that we closed all loopholes that allow a person to buy a gun without a thorough background check (gun shows, etc.). I think these are reasonable things to ask for.
Do you believe that these type of measures would have stopped this? What's the solution to gun suicides and homicides?

I'm not convinced that these, although sound lovely, would stop the madness.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Do you believe that these type of measures would have stopped this? What's the solution to gun suicides and homicides?

It is really hard to know what might stop the madness, as you say, when our government is expressly forbidden from researching the issue.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It is really hard to know what might stop the madness, as you say, when our government is expressly forbidden from researching the issue.
What do you mean?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:

You can't stop a guy if he wants to kill somebody. The fact that he had lots of full auto assault rifles and lots of huge banana clips made a huge difference than if he had one pistol or one hunting rifle. He was able to single handedly shoot over 500 people. You can't stop somebody from wanting to hurt somebody but you can limit what kind of weapons he has for the most part. Why not allow citizens to have tanks, RPGs, mortars, .50 cal machine guns mounted on the back of PU trucks and land mines too?

There has to be a line. The GOP has NO interest in debating this because the NRA has a HUGE influence over them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:

You can't stop a guy if he wants to kill somebody. The fact that he had lots of full auto assault rifles and lots of huge banana clips made a huge difference than if he had one pistol or one hunting rifle. He was able to single handedly shoot over 500 people. You can't stop somebody from wanting to hurt somebody but you can limit what kind of weapons he has for the most part. Why not allow citizens to have tanks, RPGs, mortars, .50 cal machine guns mounted on the back of PU trucks and land mines too?

There has to be a line. The GOP has NO interest in debating this because the NRA has a HUGE influence over them.
Idk about that. I'm pretty sure that there is going to be proposal to ban bump stocks in the very near future. I think only zealots want to see a mass shooting happen.

It would be cool to have a tank, but killing people is not cool, and unless there is a war, you can't argue personal protection or hunting for these.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

What do you mean?
https://www.medpagetoday.com/publicheal ... licy/68300
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... f15fec9842

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The NRA's strategic ploy on bump stocks
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/ ... index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/06/re ... emand.html
The high-capacity rifle magazines and “bump stocks” that the Las Vegas gunman used in Sunday’s shooting spree are reportedly in high demand.

Buyers are likely buying the items due to fear that they will soon be made illegal in the U.S. To be sure, the National Rifle Association on Thursday called for a federal review of “bump stocks” and -- in a rare break from previous stands -- hinted that new rules might be needed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:Do you believe that these type of measures would have stopped this? What's the solution to gun suicides and homicides?

The guy who committed this Vegas shooting bought 33 guns in the past year, many of them automatic or semi-automatic. By the kinds of rules I described, he would have been blocked from doing so and therefore could not have as easily performed such a mass shooting. It's possible that he could have acquired such guns through other illegal means, but at least it would have been much harder for him to do so.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

What do you mean?
https://www.medpagetoday.com/publicheal ... licy/68300
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... f15fec9842
Thanks cap. Nowadays I only get to pop onto the site once a day or so.