50+ Killed in Vegas

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 50+ Killed in Vegas

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:The facts at this point don't add up very well with the outcome. I'm sure there are a lot of people (law, media, curious people) digging into thos guys past as we speak and hopefully we get a clearer picture soon.
Yes, and we hope it's the truth and not some made up story to fit an agenda.
You know better than that.

One thing we can count on is every person with a platform will use some angle to rally support for their opinions.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:The facts at this point don't add up very well with the outcome. I'm sure there are a lot of people (law, media, curious people) digging into thos guys past as we speak and hopefully we get a clearer picture soon.

One thing we can count on is every person with a platform will use some angle to rally support for their opinions.
Unfortunately, I know you're right and it's sad af.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm constantly in a barrage of thoughts and sometimes my heart has to speak. I posted this on Facebook earlier (and I don't post much at all) and figured I'd share how I feel with all of you the same.

While I thankfully have the strength to persevere, these are trying times for those that have suffered loss or are losing faith in humanity. I'm not a religious person, but I believe in existence in another form of energy that passes us from this realm to the next. With whatever faith that entails, I pray for those that have suffered loss, those that are divided and pitted against one another in rage as we've further lost our way as people.

Start showing more love towards each other. Forgiveness. Become more accepting. The only thing that is going to turn this mess that we've continued to make around is each other and a change of mindset and mentality. Love each other, listen to each other, show compassion. Muslim, Christian, white, black, Republican, Democrat, we are all people. We hurt the same, we love the same and we're all, to a man or woman, trying to figure this life out.

We've become desensitized to violence, detached from each other with our smart phones and technology and we've lost respect for each other in the process. Instead of truly mourning and trying to find the core of the problem, we move on from one event to the next, looking for the next big thing to catch our eye. Let's start turning some of that wasted attention towards each other again. That's a start. Our self absorbed regression has to stop.

I take a look at my nieces and it hurts me knowing the directions we've been headed without regard for tomorrow. For the future generations and better days ahead as we fade into the night with time, let's try a little harder. And it starts now.

Share the word if you can and set an example by being more conscientious going forward towards each other. You'll start seeing the light in the dark.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:We've become... detached from each other with our smart phones and technology and we've lost respect for each other in the process.... Let's start turning some of that wasted attention towards each other again.
Sounds like we need another get-together, at least for the locals.

I suggest Saturday, Oct 21, for a road game at the Clippers. We can gather at Zipps on Hayden, as usual. They've got new, bigger TVs, so it's a better place to watch a game than before, and it was pretty good before.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:We've become... detached from each other with our smart phones and technology and we've lost respect for each other in the process.... Let's start turning some of that wasted attention towards each other again.
Sounds like we need another get-together, at least for the locals.

I suggest Saturday, Oct 21, for a road game at the Clippers. We can gather at Zipps on Hayden, as usual. They've got new, bigger TVs, so it's a better place to watch a game than before, and it was pretty good before.
I'm game. All these years, and circumstances have caused me to miss out. Tucson, then Oregon. I'm back now. Let's do it. Zipps is great.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wish I could. Saturdays are not good days for me. I have a gig until late.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Regardless of this crazy guy's agenda, or any person's agenda that speaks about this, we need to address the issue. It is a problem that it is easy to shoot +500 people in ten minutes from 1000 feet away and 32 stories up in the air.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Jimmy Kimmel spoke well on the subject:

Something needs to change. Enough is enough!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Jimmy Kimmel spoke well on the subject:

From Phoenix morning radio in the 80s to driving much needed discussion across the nation today.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:

From Phoenix morning radio in the 80s to driving much needed discussion across the nation today.
Huh. Didn't know he did local morning radio. I must not have known who he was then or just didn't listen to that station.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

Huh. Didn't know he did local morning radio. I must not have known who he was then or just didn't listen to that station.
I am not sure he was on the air much. I think he was behind the scenes a bit. It was KZZP when they had Bruce Kelly and Maggie Brock. Not sure exactly when that was, but in my memory that was like mid/late 80s to maybe 91 or 92.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I liked this article on how we call white killers "lone wolves" and afford this privilege to no other group.

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/02/lon ... n-paddock/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the difference can be white killers aren't generally associated with larger terrorists groups or organizations such as ISIS. If this guy were part of some white militia group or associated with ANTIFA, I don't know that he'd be deemed a lone wolf even if he acted alone. He'd be considered, at some level, a left or right wing terrorist. At the same time I'd call the Orlando shooter a lone wolf, even if he were inspired by ISIS. Same as the guy who tried to detonate a car bomb in Times Square 6-7 years ago.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nothing will change. We see this same scenario over and over again and nothing ever changes. Reminds me of that basketball saying, "Live by the three, die by the three".

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:

Nothing will change. We see this same scenario over and over again and nothing ever changes. Reminds me of that basketball saying, "Live by the three, die by the three".
Funny, not funny, but I think that saying was taken from the biblical saying, "Live by the sword, die by the sword". I could be wrong though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Funny, not funny, but I think that saying was taken from the biblical saying, "Live by the sword, die by the sword". I could be wrong though.
Very apropos. Live by the automatic weapons, die by the automatic weapons.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nothing's going to change. I saw it on social media and Kimmel said it too, but if children dying in the Sandy Hook killings didn't change things, nothing will. This type of thing can be added to the list of "the new norm".

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yep, most of those people killed would fight to ensure that guy had the right to have as many military assault weapons and big ass banana clips as he wanted because that makes us all free.

P.S.

I said nothing would happen. That's not true. The left will make another push. The Right/NRA will make a push. Gun sales will go way up again and there will be another ammo shortage from all the hoarding.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The NRA profits immensely whenever there is a shooting like this all over the news. A ton of guns and ammo are sold, and their org receives a bunch of donations and signups.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The NRA profits immensely whenever there is a shooting like this all over the news. A ton of guns and ammo are sold, and their org receives a bunch of donations and signups.
Exactly. I am not sure there is another business that benefits from Americans being shot to death. Well, besides the defense contractors.