Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am
I just don't know if some of these problems can be fixed. Large low-population red states are always going to have outsized influence due to the nature of the Senate and electoral college. We can't change these things without a super-majority that would of course be voted against by those same states and congressmen.

I think even if they found out Kavanaugh "did it" or did other such bad things, the Republicans still wouldn't vote to impeach him. That's the state we're in right now.
Well, the electoral college is based on population.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 am
Well, the electoral college is based on population.
Yes, but it doesn't scale linearly. It gives voters in lower-population states an outsize influence.

I do think such voters matter. But more and more, we are consolidating in big cities. I don't think it is good to penalize the biggest cities/states in America as much as we do.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2096
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Nodack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm

A new plot. Trump supporters trying to pay women to say they were sexually assaulted by Robert Mueller. The women have reported it. Mueller has asked for an FBI investigation.

A 20 year old kid said he had nothing to do with it. Unfortunately for him the number used as the business number was his mothers home phone #.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/us/p ... laims.html

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am

I'm assuming that guy is about to get intimately familiar with the inside of a jail cell.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 13901
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Superbone » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm
A new plot. Trump supporters trying to pay women to say they were sexually assaulted by Robert Mueller. The women have reported it. Mueller has asked for an FBI investigation.

A 20 year old kid said he had nothing to do with it. Unfortunately for him the number used as the business number was his mothers home phone #.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/us/p ... laims.html
The lowest of the low.
O_Gardino: "Ntilikina is going to lead the NBA in assists once he gets going[2025]..."

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 pm

It's a real example of projection. He and his party often accuse others of what they themselves do. Other side is a violent mob? He encourages his supporters to become violent. Mueller is a sexual harasser? Appoint a sexual harasser on the SCOTUS. Election is rigged? They (maybe) help rig it. Dems want to take away your Medicare and protection for pre-existing conditions? They are literally in court fighting to do just that. And so on.

It wouldn't work except that they have their own propaganda media pipeline and can essentially create their own facts and reality out of whole cloth.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 am

Pretty big news dropped today. Michael Cohen just admitted that he was lying to Congress. He admits that Donald Trump worked directly with his top aides to set up meetings and discussions with the Kremlin about opening Trump hotels in Moscow and Russia in exchange for help in the 2016 election. They were talking to each other as late as June 2016.

This is collusion. Trump's former top lawyer has testified under oath that there was collusion with Russia, and that Trump himself knew about it and participated in it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/29/67193938 ... investigat

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4306
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by ShelC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 am

I don't think anything matters. "I barely know Michael Cohen, he's just lying to cut a deal with Mueller who's really a Democrat". Or, "So, Hillary's people have been talking to Russia for years. How much money did they donate to her foundation?"

He'll always deflect, wave stuff off, claim it's not a big deal and his supporters will defend him. The next argument will be, "Well I'd rather have Trump collude with Russia and win the election than have Hillary as President".

He's actually threatening to declassify things about the investigation to show it's not fair to him. In the end, it'll be up to the members of the government to take action which I doubt will happen. They won't even vote to protect Mueller and the investigation. And if he's going to pardon Manafort, Corsi, Stone and the rest then they'll get away with whatever they're charged with. I still don't know how there isn't a gag order when he's out there pretty much saying he'll pardon Manafort. How can he comment on an ongoing investigation like that?

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:10 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 am
Pretty big news dropped today. Michael Cohen just admitted that he was lying to Congress. He admits that Donald Trump worked directly with his top aides to set up meetings and discussions with the Kremlin about opening Trump hotels in Moscow and Russia in exchange for help in the 2016 election. They were talking to each other as late as June 2016.

This is collusion. Trump's former top lawyer has testified under oath that there was collusion with Russia, and that Trump himself knew about it and participated in it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/29/67193938 ... investigat
I think this bolded part is supposition. I haven't read anything that says there is proof of this, or even Cohen saying this directly.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 am

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 am
I don't think anything matters. "I barely know Michael Cohen, he's just lying to cut a deal with Mueller who's really a Democrat". Or, "So, Hillary's people have been talking to Russia for years. How much money did they donate to her foundation?"

He'll always deflect, wave stuff off, claim it's not a big deal and his supporters will defend him. The next argument will be, "Well I'd rather have Trump collude with Russia and win the election than have Hillary as President".

He's actually threatening to declassify things about the investigation to show it's not fair to him. In the end, it'll be up to the members of the government to take action which I doubt will happen. They won't even vote to protect Mueller and the investigation. And if he's going to pardon Manafort, Corsi, Stone and the rest then they'll get away with whatever they're charged with. I still don't know how there isn't a gag order when he's out there pretty much saying he'll pardon Manafort. How can he comment on an ongoing investigation like that?
It only matters if his supporters in Congress and around the country care that he lies and cons people. So far, they don't.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2096
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Nodack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Cohen and Manafort were reporting to Trump while supposedly cooperating with Mueller but, lying to Mueller at the same time. Sort of like double spies. They expect a pardon will save them. You can’t believe anything any of them say about anything.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:06 am

It sounds like Mueller has many of them on record lying under oath about their connections to Russia. Whether he'll be able to use that to prosecute any of them remains to be seen. I like how they keep calling it a "perjury trap." Okay. So if he asks you reasonable questions and then you lie in the answers, that's a "perjury trap?" Maybe don't perjure yourself by constantly lying about your criminal activity.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Mueller totally tricked them into committing perjury by asking questions they could only lie about.

/redhatlogic
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:26 am

The sentencing document for Michael Cohen was released. It officially states that Cohen was directed to perform two felonies by "Individual 1" who was then elected President of the United States. This is the first time a legal document officially alleges that Trump commited a felony (well, two felonies).

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 am

So, they just posted court documents (redacted, but they digitally un-redacted them) related to Paul Manafort's case that say that he gave all of the Trump campaign's data to Russian oligarchs who likely had ties to Putin and the Russian government. This is huge. Literally this is collusion (criminal conspiracy) between Trump's campaign manager and Russia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... df26b4c12b

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 am
So, they just posted court documents (redacted, but they digitally un-redacted them) related to Paul Manafort's case that say that he gave all of the Trump campaign's data to Russian oligarchs who likely had ties to Putin and the Russian government. This is huge. Literally this is collusion (criminal conspiracy) between Trump's campaign manager and Russia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... df26b4c12b
It is crazy that his lawyers didn't redact it correctly. Like, how do they do that unintentionally?

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9250
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 am

I'm assuming it's just lack of tech savvy. In Adobe Acrobat you can cover text with a black rectangle. That works fine if you're going to print the document, but if you give the PDF to somebody tech-savvy, they can just open it back up in the editor and delete the black rectangle and get the text back. Oops.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 am

Yes, but these are people that deal with confidential legal documents every day of their life. How do you miss that? Nobody at the firm has submitted a redacted PDF before? Seems so odd to me.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2096
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Nodack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 am

Of course Trump denies any knowledge of anything that happened in his campaign.

Today he denies that he meant Mexico would pay for the wall. Now it has morphed into some form of figure of speach or something.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7909
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 am
Of course Trump denies any knowledge of anything that happened in his campaign.

Today he denies that he meant Mexico would pay for the wall. Now it has morphed into some form of figure of speach or something.
best people

Post Reply