Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Mori Chu »

The most constructive things we can do if we don't 100% agree on the politics of it are:

1 - Agree that gerrymandering is bad.
2 - Agree that we want to do something to fix/reduce it.
3 - Try to come up with a good clear definition of what constitutes a gerrymandered district.
4 - Make it so that you can't create/keep such districts.
5 - Put some mostly-non-partisan / bipartisan people in charge of fixing such districts and making them not be that way.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... -of-judges
Gerrymandered Map Ruled Unconstitutional By Panel Of Judges. A three-judge panel ruled late Tuesday that North Carolina's congressional district map was illegally gerrymandered because of excessive partisanship that gave Republicans a solid advantage for most of the seats.

North Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Wayne Goodwin called the ruling a "major victory for North Carolina and people across the state whose voices were silenced by Republicans' unconstitutional attempts to rig the system to their partisan advantage."

Republicans, however, promise an appeal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... -of-judges
Gerrymandered Map Ruled Unconstitutional By Panel Of Judges. A three-judge panel ruled late Tuesday that North Carolina's congressional district map was illegally gerrymandered because of excessive partisanship that gave Republicans a solid advantage for most of the seats.

North Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Wayne Goodwin called the ruling a "major victory for North Carolina and people across the state whose voices were silenced by Republicans' unconstitutional attempts to rig the system to their partisan advantage."

This decision is great progress. We need to fight back against partisan gerrymandering. I don't care what party it benefits; if the maps are drawn to disenfranchise voters, we need to redraw them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Nodack wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... -of-judges

This decision is great progress. We need to fight back against partisan gerrymandering. I don't care what party it benefits; if the maps are drawn to disenfranchise voters, we need to redraw them.
Would you allow yourself to feel so disenfranchised to not vote if you were in a heavy conservative precinct?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't understand what your question is asking. Can you clarify? When I say that I want to reduce gerrymandering, I suggest something like the "efficiency rating" that others have discussed, where the efficacy of each vote and population distribution are taken into account when drawing districts, and none should be more than a certain percentage away from the expected. There are some good formulas for this stuff. It isn't about liberal vs conservative to me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not for gerrymandering, and it would piss me off, nut it wouldn't disenfranchise me.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gerrymandering is cheating, plain and simple, no matter who is doing it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:I'm not for gerrymandering, and it would piss me off, nut it wouldn't disenfranchise me.
Of course it would. That doesn't mean you would be prevented from voting. It means your vote wouldn't count, because you would be placed in a district where it wouldn't matter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It seems like In2 is splitting hairs in this thread. I just don't get why anybody defends or tolerates practices like this that subvert the public's vote. Do you really want that in your country?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It seems like In2 is splitting hairs in this thread. I just don't get why anybody defends or tolerates practices like this that subvert the public's vote. Do you really want that in your country?
I don't think anyone wants that, and I don't think anyone is defending it either. I'm certainly not.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:I'm not for gerrymandering, and it would piss me off, nut it wouldn't disenfranchise me.
Of course it would. That doesn't mean you would be prevented from voting. It means your vote wouldn't count, because you would be placed in a district where it wouldn't matter.
I'm sorry, it wouldn't disenfranchise me. I would still vote.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Why are you sorry? And just because you cast a ballot, doesn't mean you aren't disenfranchised. That is exactly what all of these cases are stating.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Why are you sorry? And just because you cast a ballot, doesn't mean you aren't disenfranchised. That is exactly what all of these cases are stating.
I thought you meant the feeling of being disenfranchised, note the vote being disenfranchised. I'm sorry you misunderstood me, and I misunderstood you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
I thought you meant the feeling of being disenfranchised, note the vote being disenfranchised. I'm sorry you misunderstood me, and I misunderstood you.
And I am sorry for our misunderstanding. Hugs?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote: Of course it would. That doesn't mean you would be prevented from voting. It means your vote wouldn't count, because you would be placed in a district where it wouldn't matter.
And I am sorry for our misunderstanding. Hugs?
Ah, I like hugs. Haha

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

<3

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We haven't really had any chitchat here about this whole Nunes memo thing. I found the whole thing ridiculous and reprehensible. The GOP is trying to undermine the DOJ and FBI. This should be cause for huge concern; our administration is trying to attack the government and challenge justice and the rule of law. And now that it appears to be a Grade A nothing-burger, there seems to be no consequence for the whole charade.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project

Rinse and repeat.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We haven't really had any chitchat here about this whole Nunes memo thing. I found the whole thing ridiculous and reprehensible. The GOP is trying to undermine the DOJ and FBI. This should be cause for huge concern; our administration is trying to attack the government and challenge justice and the rule of law. And now that it appears to be a Grade A nothing-burger, there seems to be no consequence for the whole charade.
That is correct. There are no consequences anymore.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Their consequences are they look like fools. Of course it’s all just another deflection attempt that failed. Who financed Trumps golf courses? It wasn’t Americans... Trump is owned by Russia and the FBI knows it.

Trump isn’t bragging about his stock market today...