Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Nodack »

Russians paid Cohen $500,000 after the election? That’s not suspicious at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Russians paid Cohen $500,000 after the election? That’s not suspicious at all.
Not to mention Novartis, among others, who soon after got a sit down with the president.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... -the-money
Cohen’s shell company, Essential Consultants LLC, received a total of $4.4 million in payments from a range of sources with an interest in influencing Trump.

The giant question that follows from the payments to Cohen is what they were for — and whether any of the money in the shell company made its way into any entities owned or controlled by Trump himself.

If any money passed through the shell to Trump, then the B-word is going to be getting a lot of play — because it will look as if Trump’s fixer set up a shell company to accept bribes on the president’s behalf.

In the best case scenario for Trump, Cohen has simply been selling a range of corporate actors on the idea that he has unique access to the president. That would make Cohen an unregistered lobbyist, which is a crime — but it would not necessarily implicate Trump in any wrongdoing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The corruption that oozes out of this President, his family, and their closest advisors is really stunning. It feels like our country is being run by the mafia.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The corruption that oozes out of this President, his family, and their closest advisors is really stunning. It feels like our country is being run by the mafia.
Two more years. Worst. President. Ever.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The corruption that oozes out of this President, his family, and their closest advisors is really stunning. It feels like our country is being run by the mafia.
We'll see about that. I really think (hoping) we'll see some actual action after the midterm elections. Regardless, this iteration of the GOP needs to be burnt to the ground so 2020 is completely out of the question for them.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
We'll see about that. I really think (hoping) we'll see some actual action after the midterm elections. Regardless, this iteration of the GOP needs to be burnt to the ground so 2020 is completely out of the question for them.
I kind of doubt this, as the polling numbers are coming back to the standard deviation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There are so many scandals coming out every day. It's hard to even keep up with it all. I have to think that this is going to have an effect on voters. The opposition is going to be so motivated to go out to the polls.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:There are so many scandals coming out every day. It's hard to even keep up with it all. I have to think that this is going to have an effect on voters. The opposition is going to be so motivated to go out to the polls.
That works both ways. Trump supporters are furious with the news for reporting on these scandals and highly motivated to take down the political party that’s in league with the media’s war on Trump.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:There are so many scandals coming out every day. It's hard to even keep up with it all. I have to think that this is going to have an effect on voters. The opposition is going to be so motivated to go out to the polls.
I hope you're right about motivation to go to the polls. Apathy would kill this country. I recently watched the last episode of Electric Dreams, Kill All Others, and it reminded me of Trump America and what could happen if the path we're on were to continue.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have no faith in America anymore. Trump could run down a bunch of people in his car, get out and finish them off with an assault rifle and then have sex with their dead corpses and half the country would like him even more.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Mueller investigation has now been going on for over a year. That seems like a long time, but these things usually take years. Watergate, Whitewater, Iran Contra, etc. None of them wrapped up in under a year's time.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Behghazi- 4 years, nine Investigations.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it's taking a long time for a few reasons...first and foremost, Trump's financials are tangled up like a ball of Christmas lights. His international dealings, campaign finances, his lawyers, Kushner...Mueller has to untangle everything, talk to everyone, try and obtain documents and financials and then make sense of it all. A new report came out in the past few days that the whistleblower who leaked Michael Cohen's financial records did so because they were concerned that files on Cohen were missing from a Treasury Dept database that tracks suspicious financial activities. Ronan Farrow reported it in the New Yorker (same guy who reported on Weinstein). https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... al-records

Second...Mueller is, by all accounts, a straight arrow who does everything by the book and isn't going to cut corners or leave any stone unturned. I'm sure he has something on Trump and his associates (maybe not Russian Collusion), and doesn't want leaks or loopholes bringing the investigation down. He seems like someone who will get the job done, regardless of the outcome and how long it takes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like Trump's lawyers sent a memo to Mueller a few months ago asserting that Trump cannot obstruct justice because he has full authority over the investigation as President, including to terminate it at any time or fire Mueller/others at any time. This does not seem to be in accordance with the letter of the law. I'm worried that we are heading toward a constitutional crisis.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/3/17421300/t ... w-subpoena
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ments.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 667392002/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm
It looks like Trump's lawyers sent a memo to Mueller a few months ago asserting that Trump cannot obstruct justice because he has full authority over the investigation as President, including to terminate it at any time or fire Mueller/others at any time. This does not seem to be in accordance with the letter of the law. I'm worried that we are heading toward a constitutional crisis.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/3/17421300/t ... w-subpoena
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ments.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 667392002/
They basically are quoting the words that turned the country against Nixon. If the president does it, it isn't illegal. I am not sure it will have the same effect this time. Many people will simply agree with them and keep saying it is a witch hunt. He knows what he is doing, and has been doing for 60 years. If you say something often enough, and with enough conviction, people will believe it, no matter how asinine. His base is falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mueller actually said something today. He said Manafort has been tampering with possible witnesses in his trial and wants Manafort locked up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 8d8ffe9478
Mueller accuses Paul Manafort of witness tampering

As far as Trump and a Constitutional crisis is concerned, I have a distinct feeling Trump will not succeed in becoming a dictator above all US laws. Not even Republicans are willing to go that far out for him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Mueller actually said something today. He said Manafort has been tampering with possible witnesses in his trial and wants Manafort locked up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 8d8ffe9478
Mueller accuses Paul Manafort of witness tampering

As far as Trump and a Constitutional crisis is concerned, I have a distinct feeling Trump will not succeed in becoming a dictator above all US laws. Not even Republicans are willing to go that far out for him.
Not that it makes it any better, but isn't this witness tampering for a previous issue (not all of the current stuff)?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think it’s for the lobbying he did for the Pro Russian Ukraine.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 am
I think it’s for the lobbying he did for the Pro Russian Ukraine.
Right, but didn't he do the tampering well before he was recently arrested? I am being the guy I hate because I could google it and probably find out. Sorry. Either way, it is really bad for him. Wonder what will happen if he ends up in a jail cell for months awaiting trial, instead of hanging out at his house.