Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Indy »

I am not sure when the last time our country went to war (or military action) that was warranted.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Shouldn’t the video be of them placing the bomb, not removing it? Iran claims it is responsible for security of the vessels in that area and that they were the ones who rescued the crews of the damaged ships. Is it possible that they were on alert after the first attacks, saw the mine and removed it to stop another ship from being damaged? They were busted removing a mine.
Another scenario I heard Trump claim is that they were removing the mine because it failed to detonate and they those mines have Iran written all over it so the were trying to remove it to get rid of the evidence. That is a plausible scenario. We don’t know.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's telling that some US allies like Japan dispute our account of events and who is responsible. It's also telling that we can no longer trust the executive branch (Bolton and Pompeo) to be honest about what has happened overseas.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s a little scary to realize we might be the bad guys. All my life I thought we were the good guys. Growing up in school I was taught we were always the good guys. Then I grew up and started reading more and realized we have done some very unscrupulous things. Now we elect a guy that is basically a serial liar and evil to the core and the more off the rails he goes the more his base likes him.

What happened to US?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's like when Obi-Wan gives the "certain point of view" speech to Luke.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2 ... et/160861/
Russia will test its internal RuNet network to see whether the country can function without the global internet, the Russian government announced Monday. The tests will begin after Nov. 1, recur at least annually, and possibly more frequently. It’s the latest move in a series of technical and policy steps intended to allow the Russian government to cut its citizens off from the rest of the world.

Interesting

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. China ain't the only country with a great firewall.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This has nothing to do with the Mueller investigation but, I didn’t want to make a new thread for it.

Russian government resigns after President Putin’s state-of-the-nation address proposes changes to the constitution
https://www.rt.com/russia/478340-govern ... -medvedev/
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has announced that the entire government is resigning in a surprise statement released shortly after President Vladimir Putin delivered his annual state-of-the-nation address.

Putin also proposed multiple amendments to Russia’s constitution. His proposals would entail “substantial changes” to the constitution as well as to the “entire balance of power, the power of the executive, the power of the legislature, the power of the judiciary,” Medvedev explained.

“In this context, it is obvious that, as the government, we must provide the president with a capability to make all decisions,” which are required to implement the proposed plan, Medvedev said announcing the en-masse resignation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Sounds like it deserves its own thread.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

'Dack: I saw that headline. I assume Putin is just rearranging the deck chairs so that he can retain power in 2024 when his fourth presidenttial term ends. For a while he stepped down as President and had a guy named Dmitry Medvedev be president for a while, but my understanding is that Med was more of a puppet and Putin still ruled under the title of Prime Minister.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Putin = Russia

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

G-7 members reject Trump's bid to bring Russia in from the cold
No objections raised to president's suggestion that India, South Korea and Australia also be included.
The G-7 nations agreed to suspend Russia's membership in what was then the G-8 after Moscow annexed the Crimean peninsula in Ukraine in 2014. Readmission would require unanimous support among members of the current group.

Trump spoke by phone with Russian President Vladimir Putin Monday. According to a readout from the White House, “the two leaders discussed progress toward convening the G7,” among other subjects.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has occasionally been an ally of Trump’s, but his spokesperson told journalists on Monday that he would veto any plan to readmit Russia.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

NYT reports that Russia has been paying bounties to have US soldiers killed in the Middle East. Reportedly our intelligence has known about this for months but nothing seems to have been done about it. In fact Trump has been publicly praising Russia and Putin, trying to get them into the G7, and so on. Did Trump know about this? His Press Sec claims he was never briefed on it, but that would be surprising not to tell the POTUS about such a thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/p ... nties.html

Bonus: Trump shares video of supporter chanting "white power"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/2 ... wer-342869

Nodack

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation, he w

Post by Nodack »

He was probably briefed, but since they didn’t mention Trumps name enough in the brief he probably wasn’t listening.

Another scandalous Tweet by Trump? Just another day. I thought him retweeting ‘The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat’ video would be scandalous too. Didn’t even move the bar. We all expect it now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It goes to show that there's basically nothing he can do at this point that will turn away his core supporters.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 am
It goes to show that there's basically nothing he can do at this point that will turn away his core supporters.
This immediately goes into the "Fake News" pile.

Let's be real here. The Pentagon does shit like this and worse all the time. I'm not saying that these claims against Russia aren't worthy of taking notice, but don't be played into thinking we're always the good guys.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We definitely do stuff just as sneaky and evil. The point is nobody in the G7 wants Russia back in except Trump because of those evil sneaky stuff like invading the Ukraine. If Trump found out Russia put bounties on American soldiers and then lobbied for them to be added to the G7 what does that say?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Let's be real here. The Pentagon does shit like this and worse all the time. I'm not saying that these claims against Russia aren't worthy of taking notice, but don't be played into thinking we're always the good guys.
I'm not sure I understand you. Why is it "fake news" if US intel is confirming that Russia did this? Do you mean that it isn't very important or significant, because we do the same ourselves? That may be true, but does that make the story fake?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

I'm not sure I understand you. Why is it "fake news" if US intel is confirming that Russia did this? Do you mean that it isn't very important or significant, because we do the same ourselves? That may be true, but does that make the story fake?
That's not what I meant.

To his followers, since Trump didn't outright acknowledge that he knew about this, it will be considered fake by them. Along the lines of, "They never told Trump, therefore it didn't happen how it's being reported or happen at all."
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gotcha. It certainly is possible that (a) it is fake, as in, Russia didn't do this; or (b) Trump was never told about it. But, if (a), why is it coming out now in a supposedly well-sourced article? and if (b), what would cause our intel community to avoid telling the President something so important?