Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Mori Chu »

Former Russian chess grandmaster Gary Kasparov has been a voice of wisdom on Trump/Russia. His latest, for the New York Daily News:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... story.html
They attempted to (defend Trump) by calling Trump’s right-hand man a liar and a crook, as if those characteristics aren’t exactly why Trump relied on him for so many years. The GOP questioners didn’t even try to exculpate Trump, conceding that his actions are indefensible so the only hope is discrediting the messenger. The GOP isn’t angry with Cohen for lying to Congress in 2017 when he was doing it to defend Trump. They’re angry that he stopped.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Barr does send “his” summary of Muellers report and doesn’t allow Congress or the American people to see any of Muellers actual report, I am sure the House, some Americans and the Media will make a BIG deal of it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Well, Mueller has submitted his finished report to Attorney General William Barr. I guess now we wait for Barr to make some kind of announcement about it or publish some/all of it or something.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/22/63816902 ... neral-barr

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't watch Maddow (or any MSNBC or any cable news), but when I see the occasional link/clip to her show it does seem like she's become kind of weirdly singularly focused on the Russia stuff.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, she's been that way for over 2 years.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I like Racheal Maddow. Obviously Republicans don’t. She works for MSNBC which is a liberal site. They are to Trump what FOX was to Obama. If you go to politifact.com they list her lies. In the past ten years she has told 6 lies. If you go to Trump they have 34 pages of his lies just in the past two years. Is she fixated on Russia? She is fixated on attacking Trump and Republicans and that covers a lot of different subjects. Is that unbiased news? No it’s not. Republicans are proud to proclaim FOX News as more popular and more trusted than other news stations and they aren’t unbiased either. I’m sure I could find a bunch of cute clips of their hosts on youtube too.

I have been keeping up with the Mueller Investigation. He just turned it in last night and the only one who has technically seen it is Barr. That hasn’t stopped millions of people from coming to their own conclusions on the findings of the Investigation even though they have no idea what it says. I will wait to see what it actually says before coming to any conclusions on it’s findings.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

To be fair to Maddow: If Russia really has infiltrated our democracy and installed a stooge of their choosing as our President, it merits being talked about for a long time.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have done a LOT of research on this subject and I am convinced there is something going on between Trump and Russia. I won’t post my book of media links which show all the links between Trump and Russia again. If you are a Trump fan then no amount of articles detailing Trumps bad behavior would sway you in the slightest because all news if fake news now to them. Don’t like what they are saying? Call it fake and be done with it. That move is in the dictator handbook.

It comforts me knowing the press is all over Trump like white on rice as well as the FBI. Yes, a good portion of the press is biased against Trump and their coverage of him is mostly negative. That comes with the territory. All the previous Presidents managed to survive without calling the media fake. They can call them fake all they want. It won’t affect my opinion one bit.

I didn’t used to watch MSNBC at all before Trump. I watched CNN mostly. Since Trump declared war on CNN their coverage has turned almost all anti Trump. I don’t enjoy watching them at all anymore. A panel of Democrats all talking about how evil Trump is gets old after awhile.

Racheal Maddow is different to me. She paints a picture and points out the dots and then connects the dots in order to say this is what is going on right now and it’s very powerful. I enjoy watching her the most and her ratings have soared. She is tied with Hannity for the highest ratings in that market. As a result she is the #1 media journalist/host enemy of Trump and the GOP right now. She doesn’t share the same lawyer as the President and she doesn’t campaign with the President or any other candidates like Hannity does.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like AG Barr has submitted his summary of Mueller's report to Congress. He claims that Mueller writes that he decided not to accuse the President of conspiracy/collusion with Russia, and that he neither exonerated nor accused the President of committing obstruction of justice.

It's unclear how to react to this. The White House, of course, claims that the report totally exonerates the President. Barr's summary explicitly states that the report does not exonerate the President. It is also possible that the report contains descriptions of lots of bad stuff that nonetheless does not rise to the legal standard of proof to indict someone for a crime. It is also possible that Barr's summary is misleading or incomplete.

I think we still need to wait until Congress has received the actual report to draw complete conclusions. Today is probably rightly seen as a win for the POTUS all things considered, but it isn't over, and there may still be damning revelations to come in the full report.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

From what I understand it exonerates him of Russian collusion over the election but, is inconclusive on the obstruction topic. Obstructing an Investigation into something you have been exonerated of seems like sort of a non starter to me.

You can read Barr’s summary here.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... r-findings

I am pretty surprised by the report. I had hoped it would help get rid of Trump and we could return to sanity sooner but it looks like the opposite is true and it will only embolded Trump more.

He’s still a Russian puppet to me based on his actions. Did Mueller investigate Trump Towers being used to launder money for the Russian mob since the late 80’s or was that not in the scope of the investigation? Did they investigate all the millions Russia loaned to Trump to build his golf courses? None of that has anything to with the election so Trump possibly being compromised by Russia was not part of the scope of the investigation or maybe it was. I don’t know. I do know I think he is one of the worst human beings I know of and it kills me that such a horrible human being is our leader.

carey

Post by carey »

It only exonerates him of colluding with the Russian government. There are several non government related figures in this whole mess already proven to have aided the Trump campaign. I hope we get to see the report and all the underlying documentation.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think we are done with this story by a long shot. For one thing, there are several active investigations into criminal wrongdoing that specifically target Trump. Also, the FBI has asked to meet with some top government officials to brief them about Mueller's investigation, which implies that they may find Barr's summary letter unsatisfactory. I think Mueller was expecting his full report to be given to the House and/or Senate judiciary committees to decide what to do with them, not stuck with Barr indefinitely and hidden from the public.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... s_20190325

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:20 pm
I don't think we are done with this story by a long shot. For one thing, there are several active investigations into criminal wrongdoing that specifically target Trump. Also, the FBI has asked to meet with some top government officials to brief them about Mueller's investigation, which implies that they may find Barr's summary letter unsatisfactory. I think Mueller was expecting his full report to be given to the House and/or Senate judiciary committees to decide what to do with them, not stuck with Barr indefinitely and hidden from the public.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... s_20190325
I agree that I think this story isn't done by a long shot. I'll be curious how this goes from here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If Mueller had waited until last Friday to issue 37 indictments (including Trump's national security advisor, his personal lawyer, and his campaign manager), can you imagine what would be happening today? Let's forget that some of those folks have already either plead guilty or been found guilty for those crimes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:34 pm
If Mueller had waited until last Friday to issue 37 indictments (including Trump's national security advisor, his personal lawyer, and his campaign manager), can you imagine what would be happening today? Let's forget that some of those folks have already either plead guilty or been found guilty for those crimes.
I thought he did those in the order he did them to press leverage on them to offer something incriminating on Trump and/or his campaign, no?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:34 pm
They did commit crimes and some of them were related to Russia, especially Manafort but, none of them were related to Trump conspiring with the Russians to win the election according to Barr’s interpretation of Muellers report, which was the whole purpose of the investigation.

Trump is now totally emboldened and on the attack. He wants Obamacare struck down now. Not replaced with “Something much better and much cheaper that covers everbody” like he promised. No, he just wants it destroyed along with all those protections Obamacare created now with no plan of replacement.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He is also cutting funding from all health NGOs that even so much as mention the word "abortion." He also is refusing to turn over documents to investigatory committees. He is also openly criticizing NATO and messing with sanctions on China and other countries. He's packing courts at every level with partisan hacks who do are deemed unfit for the job. On and on. We're slowly becoming an unfree country, governed by a tyrannical minority party. If he wins in 2020, I'm honestly leaving.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am
He is also cutting funding from all health NGOs that even so much as mention the word "abortion." He also is refusing to turn over documents to investigatory committees. He is also openly criticizing NATO and messing with sanctions on China and other countries. He's packing courts at every level with partisan hacks who do are deemed unfit for the job. On and on. We're slowly becoming an unfree country, governed by a tyrannical minority party. If he wins in 2020, I'm honestly leaving.
I probably would've moved back to the US by now if he hadn't won in 2016.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In the back of my mind I thought about it but, this is just as much my country as anyone else’s and Presidents come and go. Some Republicans probably felt the same way about Obama. Now Trump and Republicans have spent a lot of time trying to undo anything Obama touched while in office. Political party’s always go one step too far and Americans always swing to the other side eventually. Trump will eventually be gone. Democrats will be in power and will spend a lot of their time undoing anything Trump touched and we continue to play this game.