Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Marty [Mori Chu]

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 am

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 am
Trump isn't leaving office in 2020 if he loses. Get ready for it.
That’s funny. We said the same thing about Obama in 2012 and when he couldn’t be re-elected in 2016.
Yes, but the difference was that Obama was not a reprehensible man who openly praised and courted authoritarians and dictators around the world, nor who has repeatedly talked about elections being "rigged" or that he had 2 years of his term "stolen" from him, that the media was all "fake" or "the enemy of the people," etc. I don't think it is at all far-fetched to worry that Trump would do one or all of the following:

- try to influence the election outcome in unfair ways (e.g. putting ICE agents around all polling places to scare immigrants away from voting; trying to change the day of the election; creating a crisis or distraction on election day to make it harder to vote; spreading misinformation about the election; etc.)

- denounce the result of the election as illegitimate if he loses ("it was rigged", "the vote counts were altered", "voter fraud", etc.)

- formally challenge the election result (via a lawsuit, refusing to concede, executive orders, etc.)

- claiming that it is not fair for him to leave office until said lawsuit/challenge is settled

- letting said challenge drag out for months and months, all the while remaining in office

- using the secret service, US Army, ICE, or other armed forces to try to remain in the White House by force rather than exit office

I do *not* think it is a crazy conspiracy theory to be worried about any of these things. Trump has used the military for purposes they are not supposed to be used for, such as manning the border. He has turned ICE into his own personal gestapo. He has fired all the heads of the Secret Service and replaced them with his own goons. I'm not saying he is 100% going to do the above things, just that we should at least think about the possibility and prepare for how we might deal with it if the worst happens.

Indy

Post by Indy » Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am

I think he/the people around him know that stuff sounds crazy, so instead he will do what most presidents do that are afraid of losing an election--start a war.

Marty [Mori Chu]

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Tue May 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Indy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am
I think he/the people around him know that stuff sounds crazy, so instead he will do what most presidents do that are afraid of losing an election--start a war.
These things are not mutually exclusive. Add "start a war" to my list; he'll probably do that. War with Venezuela, with North Korea, with Iran. They're already talking about it, sowing the seeds.

In2ition

Post by In2ition » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am
These things are not mutually exclusive. Add "start a war" to my list; he'll probably do that. War with Venezuela, with North Korea, with Iran. They're already talking about it, sowing the seeds.
Dear Lord, please no.
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

Possibilities at 32:
Isaiah Roby, Darius Bazely, Ty Jerome, Mfiondu Kabengele, Daniel Gafford, Dylan Windler, Chuma Okeke, Carson Edwards, Arturs Zagars

Indy

Post by Indy » Tue May 07, 2019 5:09 pm

Didn't he just send an entire carrier group and several stealth bombers towards waters off iran's coast?

Nodack

Post by Nodack » Tue May 07, 2019 11:35 pm

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4425 ... oat-report
The network, citing several U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the situation, reported that movement of the missiles along with intelligence from other areas led the Trump administration to believe Iran had an intention to launch strikes against U.S. targets.

National security adviser John Bolton on Sunday announced that the USS Abraham Lincoln strike group and a B-52 bomber task force were deploying to the U.S. Central Command region “to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.”

Marty [Mori Chu]

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 am

Republicans start wars. It's a thing they love to do.

Indy

Post by Indy » Wed May 08, 2019 6:58 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 am
Republicans start wars. It's a thing they love to do.
Except WWI, WWII and Vietnam.