Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by ShelC »

Yea I think Biden would've worked harder in the Rust Belt and carried at least PA as well as Florida.

Warren and Bernie have no shot in 2020 and if the Dems go that route, it'll be Trump or Pence (if Trump doesn't run a 2nd term). Biden will be 80. I don't think Kamala Harris can win, I don't think Booker is qualified. Cuomo might have a shot. Cuban could be a dark horse.

The more I look at things, the more we just need stability and a sustainable plan. It's almost like running a sports organization like the Spurs, Heat, Patriots...find a system that works and stick with it. Now that looks great on paper and is obviously easier said than done. But like I've said before, but what's the use in swinging back and forth from left/progressive to right/conservative every 4 years? 4 years of Trump and then 4 years of Bernie then 4 years of Pence then 4 years of Warren? Trump's undoing everything Obama did, so someone will replace Trump in 4 years and undo everything he's doing? That's not progress.

Superbone

Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Who do y'all think the Dems will run against Trump in 2020? Warren? Booker? Bernie Sanders? Kamala Harris? Inslee? ...
You really think two Suns have a chance?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ugh, how bad would our team be if we lose Booker/Warren to the White House...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Who do y'all think the Dems will run against Trump in 2020? Warren? Booker? Bernie Sanders? Kamala Harris? Inslee? ...
You really think two Suns have a chance?
Booker is genuinely dismissed and/or hated nationally. He has no chance, but the women love him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Nodack wrote:I talk often of a pendulum in politics. It swings back and forth between Dems and Republicans. It swung heavily to Dems after Bush. Then after 8 years of Obama Trump convinced Americans that only he could fix everything and it would be so easy because he was such a genius and everybody else was a total failure. The grass is always greener on the other side. The pendulum swumg back to the Cons as Americans bought into Trump and Republicans rhetoric that they would MAGA.

Now after only a year of Trump and Republicans I think America is already sick of the other side and I forsee the pendulum swinging back to the Dems early thanks to Trump.
I think you're mostly correct in general. Something to always remember is how the Democratic party rigged their own primary to nominate Clinton. Had they played it straight, I don't think Trump is the president today. That goes a bit against your pendulum analogy, but not with regard to wanting someone who also wants to shake things up (Bernie).
The GOP did everything in their power to not have Trump as the candidate too. The famous Dosier Investigation was started by Republicans to get rid of Trump. They just gave up on it after it was clear Trump was going to be the pick and then the Dems picked up on it. I don’t think there is any real aliances in Washington. I think most Republicans in Washington hate Trump but, since he is their guy they have to stand behind him and kiss his azz in hopes he will do what they want.

I’m not a fan of McCain and Flake but, I am kind of proud that they are two of the few showing a backbone and standing up to Trump against their own party.

I don’t know who will be the nominee on the Democrat side. It’s probably smart for none of them to announce anything early. Clinton was the shoe in favorite to take over after Obama and Republicans had a nice big target on her back for eight years. If she wasn’t going to be the candidate I would have bet my house that there would have never been any Benghazi investigations, let alone nine of them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The more I look at things, the more we just need stability and a sustainable plan. It's almost like running a sports organization like the Spurs, Heat, Patriots...find a system that works and stick with it. Now that looks great on paper and is obviously easier said than done. But like I've said before, but what's the use in swinging back and forth from left/progressive to right/conservative every 4 years? 4 years of Trump and then 4 years of Bernie then 4 years of Pence then 4 years of Warren? Trump's undoing everything Obama did, so someone will replace Trump in 4 years and undo everything he's doing? That's not progress.
Our system is messed up. It doesn’t work for us anymore. It divides the nation into two halves that hate each other and want to hurt each other above all else. Most of Trump moves seem designed to piss of Democrats/Obama more than anything being practical. Just spiteful. US Presidents aren’t supposed to be like that. I don’t know what will change it. We are just stuck with being a divided nation that is it’s own worst enemy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flake and McCain only speak out against Trump. There are only a couple Senators that have voted with Trump more than Flake. And McCain only has one vote against him (albeit a big one), and that was after he found out his life would likely be over before summer of 2018.