Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by Mori Chu »

Scandal brewing in the Alabama senate race. A big test for the GOP leadership to see whether they'll rightly denounce this guy even if it costs them a Senate seat. My wild guess is that they still let him run and hope he still wins. We shall see.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/ ... 7?lo=ap_d1

ShelC

Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by ShelC »

It's disgusting people are putting party over everything, including pedophilia.

In2ition

Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by In2ition »

There is nothing worse than pedophilia. I hope they are all brought out into the open and burn, no matter what party they belong to.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hope the ones guilty burn. The one thing I worry about is condemning a bunch of people without a judge and jury. I watched the Orville a couple of episodes ago and they did a spoof on social media. They visited a planet who’s judicial system was based on upvotes and down votes of the public. If you are accused of something the video goes viral and people vote. If you get so many down votes you are guilty and lobotomized. You get to go on the talk show circuit to plead your case and if they aren’t convinced you are sorry you are in trouble.

In Moore’s case it was just one girl at first. Now there are several others stepping forward. Do we try him in the court of the public opinion and destroy his life and the rest of those accused without the benefit of a trial? Then again if there is a trial many times an accuser can be bought off.

We Americans have tried to politicize this topic and turn it into a D or R problem. It’s a people problem. Sexual predators come in all walks of life. I think Trump said it best. “When you are as famous as I am you can do whatever you want.” People in power are tempted to abuse that power sometimes.

I don’t think I have ever seen so many different people all being accused of being sexual predators than I have this past year. Are victims becoming emboldened by all the other people coming forward or is it something else?

carey

Re: RE: Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:I hope the ones guilty burn. The one thing I worry about is condemning a bunch of people without a judge and jury. I watched the Orville a couple of episodes ago and they did a spoof on social media. They visited a planet who’s judicial system was based on upvotes and down votes of the public. If you are accused of something the video goes viral and people vote. If you get so many down votes you are guilty and lobotomized. You get to go on the talk show circuit to plead your case and if they aren’t convinced you are sorry you are in trouble.
I saw that episode. A bit of a rip off from Black Mirror though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Re: RE: Re: Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of sex assault w/ underage girls

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Nodack wrote:I hope the ones guilty burn. The one thing I worry about is condemning a bunch of people without a judge and jury. I watched the Orville a couple of episodes ago and they did a spoof on social media. They visited a planet who’s judicial system was based on upvotes and down votes of the public. If you are accused of something the video goes viral and people vote. If you get so many down votes you are guilty and lobotomized. You get to go on the talk show circuit to plead your case and if they aren’t convinced you are sorry you are in trouble.
Everything The Orville does is a bit of a rip off. Originality is not its mission.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:
Everything The Orville does is a bit of a rip off. Originality is not its mission.
This is true. What is its mission though?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
carey wrote:
This is true. What is its mission though?
Homage. Nostalgia.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

To explore strange new worlds. To boldly go where no ...one has gone before.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

To cheekily go where Star Trek has gone before.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

At this point, its basically Seth's take on Star Trek - its eerily close. He had pitched an actual Trek show at one point, but with his usual dick-jokes attached, it makes it a parody, and he can do Trek whether its licensed or not. Heh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a pretty amazing story. A woman approached the Washington Post with a fake story about being assaulted by Roy Moore, trying to get WaPo to print it. They did background checks on her, couldn't verify the story, so they didn't print it. It turns out that she was a paid shill in the employ of a conservative "news" web site that was trying to trick WaPo and get them to print fake stuff so that they could discredit the other actual women who have accused Moore of sexual assault. Stunning. The best part is that Donald Trump has personally donated tens of thousands of dollars to this conservative news org. Hmm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Par for the course. Same people that did that ACORN smear piece years back.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:Par for the course. Same people that did that ACORN smear piece years back.
And the "Planned Parenthood is selling aborted baby body parts" piece too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sadly, Moore has climbed back into the lead in most recent polls of AL likely voters. I saw that roughly 70+% of Republican voters think the allegations against Moore are fake and are manufactured by malicious Democrats. Great.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Sadly, Moore has climbed back into the lead in most recent polls of AL likely voters. I saw that roughly 70+% of Republican voters think the allegations against Moore are fake and are manufactured by malicious Democrats. Great.
A whole bunch of idiots then.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Sadly, Moore has climbed back into the lead in most recent polls of AL likely voters. I saw that roughly 70+% of Republican voters think the allegations against Moore are fake and are manufactured by malicious Democrats. Great.
I was really expecting the judicial system to work like they said it would in Back to the Future II, where guilt and innocence is decried and determined within minutes and then we could have this resolved. These scandals and sexual improprieties have certainly put a spotlight on what should be and should not be appropriate behavior. Get rid of every guilty party.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I was really expecting the judicial system to work like they said it would in Back to the Future II, where guilt and innocence is decried and determined within minutes and then we could have this resolved. These scandals and sexual improprieties have certainly put a spotlight on what should be and should not be appropriate behavior. Get rid of every guilty party.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You think Roy Moore is innocent?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You think Roy Moore is innocent?
No, I don't think he's innocent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I interpreted it as In2 saying that he wished the wheels of justice turned a little faster so we didn't have to wait months or years for people who do illegal or creepy stuff to face consequences for it.