Supreme Court justice

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Nodack » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Of course it’s BS. Both party’s are great at it. Republicans controlled the House and the Senate during Obama’s last term and had the power to not confirm Obama’s pick, so they didn’t. They made up a BS reason but, they really didn’t have to.

Republicans have to get what they want done now while they control everything. After midterms things might change and Trump won’t have a Republican rubber stamp for everything that he has now. Dems are trying to delay the vote but, it’s a pretty futile thing to do. They can only hope two female Republicans say no to Kavenaugh. If they do Republicans will still have a month to confirm the next candidate.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 pm

There are at least two more women coming forward to say that Kavanaugh harassed or assaulted them in college.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ah-ramirez

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Anybody else watch the Ford/Kavanaugh circus today? I can't fathom anybody watching that and still thinking this guy belongs on the Supreme Court.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4834
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by ShelC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:10 pm

I was following on social. Seemed like a kangaroo court. They're probably going to confirm him with a vote tomorrow?

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Nodack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:19 am

I watched a little bit of Kavenaugh. He was criticized for not showing any emotion in hos FOX News interview. He poured on the tears this time. I didn’t see Ford’s testimony. I read about it later. It sounded like she came across credible and he came across as credible to unbiased people.

The one thing that shocked me wasn’t his or her testimony about the incident. It was his rant about Democrats.

This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record. Revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.

He obviously hates Democrats with a passion. Not sure if that is a good quality for a Supreme Court Justice.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 am

He's clearly partisan and confirming him would just deepen the already gaping divide within the country.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Nodack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 am

The GOP and Kavanaugh seem very afraid of an FBI investigation. They asked Kavenaugh numerous times if he wanted the FBI to investigate and they couldn’t get a straight answer from him. Also there were three people in the room when the incident happened Kavenaugh, Ford and Kavenaugh’s friend, some guy named Mark. Nobody seems to seems to know where he is. He is supposed to be a heavy alcoholic.

Some have been speculating that they don’t want an FBI investigation because they are afraid the Mark guy will talk. Some speculate the they don’t want an investigation because it could delay the vote until the midterms and the results of that could change everything.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8812
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Indy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 am

The American Bar Association came out today and said they don't recommend voting for him until the FBI has investigated the allegations. Wow.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am

The GOP has announced that they're going to go forward with a vote. That means they have talked to their senators and whipped the vote and they know they have the 50-51 they need. This is shameful. Can't believe they would send this kind of message to all the women in the country. They don't care.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1045669678662778880


User avatar
Cap
Posts: 5932
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Cap » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:34 am

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am
The GOP has announced that they're going to go forward with a vote. That means they have talked to their senators and whipped the vote and they know they have the 50-51 they need. This is shameful. Can't believe they would send this kind of message to all the women in the country. They don't care.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1045669678662778880

When the Garland thing was going on, I wrote Flake about it. I promptly received a response from him defending the “let their voters have their say” nonsense.

A week ago, I wrote him asking why “let the voters have their say” doesn’t apply now. Told him if there were any explanation other than willful hypocrisy, I would really love to hear it.

No reply.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by SunsRIt » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am

Nodack wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 am
The GOP and Kavanaugh seem very afraid of an FBI investigation. They asked Kavenaugh numerous times if he wanted the FBI to investigate and they couldn’t get a straight answer from him. Also there were three people in the room when the incident happened Kavenaugh, Ford and Kavenaugh’s friend, some guy named Mark. Nobody seems to seems to know where he is. He is supposed to be a heavy alcoholic.

Some have been speculating that they don’t want an FBI investigation because they are afraid the Mark guy will talk. Some speculate the they don’t want an investigation because it could delay the vote until the midterms and the results of that could change everything.
Where does this crap come from? Mark Judge has written a letter under penalty of felony prosecution saying the incident in question didn’t happen.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 8812
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Indy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 am
The GOP and Kavanaugh seem very afraid of an FBI investigation. They asked Kavenaugh numerous times if he wanted the FBI to investigate and they couldn’t get a straight answer from him. Also there were three people in the room when the incident happened Kavenaugh, Ford and Kavenaugh’s friend, some guy named Mark. Nobody seems to seems to know where he is. He is supposed to be a heavy alcoholic.

Some have been speculating that they don’t want an FBI investigation because they are afraid the Mark guy will talk. Some speculate the they don’t want an investigation because it could delay the vote until the midterms and the results of that could change everything.
Where does this crap come from? Mark Judge has written a letter under penalty of felony prosecution saying the incident in question didn’t happen.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
No. He said in a letter that he doesn't remember it, and said he never saw Kavanaugh act in that manner. He made no statement about the validity of the event Dr. Ford described. Oh, and he has written a ton about his black out drunk days. I am not sure how saying "I used to drink so much that I would black out and not remember what I did" and "I never saw him act in that manner" play well together.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4834
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by ShelC » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:14 am

Another point I've seen raised by this is that Kavanaugh could really have it in for the Dems at this point and become a real partisan judge. I've said before he seems more like a Republican judge than a conservative judge and this could only cause partisanship within the Supreme Court.

Of course, they got together just now and Flake seems to be saying that he'd only vote to confirm after an FBI investigation lasting no more than a week but there's some kind of confusion as to whether there was an agreement or if Schumer and McConnell can work something out. No one really knows what was or can be agreed upon. Graham seems as confused as anyone.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 2277
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Nodack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:33 am

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408 ... -committee
Judiciary approves Kavanaugh, sending nomination to full Senate after Flake secures deal

Flake earlier had announced his support for Kavanaugh, but then disappeared from the committee room as lawmakers offered hours of statements on the proceeding.

When he returned to speak, he said he would vote to advance Kavanaugh in exchange for a one-week delay in a Senate floor vote on his nomination.

“I think it would be proper to delay the floor vote for up to but not more than one week in order to let the FBI to do an investigation limited in time and scope,” he said.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 5932
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Cap » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:38 am

Nodack wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:33 am
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408 ... -committee
Judiciary approves Kavanaugh, sending nomination to full Senate after Flake secures deal

Flake earlier had announced his support for Kavanaugh, but then disappeared from the committee room as lawmakers offered hours of statements on the proceeding.

When he returned to speak, he said he would vote to advance Kavanaugh in exchange for a one-week delay in a Senate floor vote on his nomination.

“I think it would be proper to delay the floor vote for up to but not more than one week in order to let the FBI to do an investigation limited in time and scope,” he said.
I want a four-month delay.

Still less of a delay than Garland.
JJ will be better than KP when all is said and done [in 2020]. Mark it. — AIG, with Indy betting against

My [2019-20] prediction is better than mid 30s... mark it down! — Superbone

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 pm

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am
Where does this crap come from? Mark Judge has written a letter under penalty of felony prosecution saying the incident in question didn’t happen.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
My understanding is that the Mark Judge letter is not nearly as legally binding as testifying under oath. Signing a letter with the phrase "under penalty of felony" as far as I can tell does not mean anything from a legal standpoint. It just sounds impressive.

As for innocent until proven guilty, I agree. Nobody would want to convict Kavanaugh of any crime without proof. This is not a trial, and he is not accused of a crime in a legal/judicial sense.

This is more like a job interview. The question is not whether Kavanaugh can be legally convicted of a crime based on hard evidence. The question is whether he is fit to serve on the US Supreme Court. Multiple women have come forward with credible accusations about his aggressive sexual behavior. More than one has taken and passed a lie detector test, and their stories match against many known facts about the dates and situations in question. None of this constitutes legal proof, but it raises significant reasonable doubts about Kavanaugh that ought to concern anyone.

These hearings, and possibly the coming FBI investigation, also reveal that Kavanaugh was a reckless person, driven to emotion and alcohol abuse. He may have participated in sexually aggressive behavior or assault. He also demonstrated that he is not an impartial person by railing against what he called a Democrat-fueled conspiracy against him motivated by frustration from the 2016 election, revenge by the Clintons, dark money, etc. He has frequently met and strategized with President Trump. He participated heavily in Karl Rove's work to go after Democrats in the 2000s. Do you really think he would give a fair trial to a Democrat? To a person who was his political opponent?

He's a partisan, an operative of the GOP. He doesn't have the objectivity, temperament, or judgment to sit on the Supreme Court. And there is a substantial amount of evidence that he may be a sexual assaulter. He should not be confirmed.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:31 pm

This article does a great job dissecting all of the easily verifiable lies that Kavanaugh told during his hearing.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/ ... h-is-lying

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 4834
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by ShelC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 pm

The White House gave a list of people that the FBI can interview, which seems about right. Seems like just more of the reality show. If the FBI finds anything worthwhile, then "how can we trust the crooked FBI". If the FBI doesn't find anything, then "Well, the White House obstructed with the investigation and 1 week wasn't nearly enough time".

What's funny is that for as long as the Republicans held Scalia's seat open, they sure are in a rush to get Kavanaugh confirmed rather than thoroughly vetting a nominee for the highest court in the land.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:57 pm

They stalled for a year on Merrick Garland, claiming they wanted to "let the voters decide." Which makes no sense and has no precedent; a blatant abuse of power and discarding of norms of bipartisanship. And now they rush Kav through before the midterms because they don't want to risk the small chance that the Dems take the Senate. Completely hypocritical and immoral.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 9915
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Supreme Court justice

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Mitch McConnell has filed a cloture motion. That means that they will vote to confirm/reject Kavanaugh this Friday morning. So presumably this will come only hours or minutes after the FBI turns in their week-long report.

What a sham. If they actually cared about what was going to be in the report, they would give time after its delivery to look at it, discuss it, and decide what to do next. The report could say, "We feel that XYZ deserves further investigation," but they'll just plow ahead and vote anyway.

These people care about nothing but power.

Post Reply