Midterm Elections

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Midterm Elections

Post by Nodack »

This is going to be a pretty big Midterm elections. It’s the report card America gives to our politicians. Will it be a Blue or Red wave?

I just got my mail in ballot for the primaries. I was researching the local candidates.

Joan Greens VS Jose Torres US Rep District 5
There isn’t much info on these candidates. Jose is an Engineer/Mathematician. Joan is in Marketing.
https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?id=AZ05
Total Raised and Spent
Candidate Raised Spent Cash on Hand Last Report
Andy Biggs (R) • Incumbent $464,729 $158,811 $354,515 06/30/2018
Joan Greene (D) $68,954 $57,217 $11,707 06/30/2018
Jose Torres (D) $10,412 $10,863 -$451 06/30/2018

The two Democrats combined raised 80k. The Republican incumbent Biggs has raised 464k. Jose Torres in the hole $-451 ouch! This district is heavily Republican and those two first time running Democrats have less than a snowballs chance it would seem.

AZ US Senator - Democrats Deedra Abboud VS Kyrsten Sinema

Kyrsten has raised over 9 million. Deedra has raised 80k. Both caucasian girls. One is an open bi-sexual and the other an American born Christian who converted to being a Muslim. Deedra on her web site says she champions the LGBT cause. I don’t get it. I will get flack that maybe I deserve but, as an Agnostic I don’t get how an American born Christian becomes a Muslim, wears the jihab in public even and then champions the LGBT cause. Isn’t homosexuality strictly forbidden in Islam? I suppose Kyrsten could be a Catholic and champion the LGBT cause too and Catholics are forbidden to be gay too. I don’t have a problem if either one is gay or a Muslim. I just have a hard time with people that claim to be something and then take up a cause that goes against what you say you believe in.

https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summa ... 18&id=AZS2

This is the race with Sheriff Joe. There are lots of candidates and a lot of them have money behind them. This race will be a doozy. Arapio is seriously lacking in money raised compared to some of the other candidates.

In2ition

Re: Midterm Elections

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:11 pm
This is going to be a pretty big Midterm elections. It’s the report card America gives to our politicians. Will it be a Blue or Red wave?

I just got my mail in ballot for the primaries. I was researching the local candidates.

Joan Greens VS Jose Torres US Rep District 5
There isn’t much info on these candidates. Jose is an Engineer/Mathematician. Joan is in Marketing.
https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?id=AZ05
Total Raised and Spent
Candidate Raised Spent Cash on Hand Last Report
Andy Biggs (R) • Incumbent $464,729 $158,811 $354,515 06/30/2018
Joan Greene (D) $68,954 $57,217 $11,707 06/30/2018
Jose Torres (D) $10,412 $10,863 -$451 06/30/2018

The two Democrats combined raised 80k. The Republican incumbent Biggs has raised 464k. Jose Torres in the hole $-451 ouch! This district is heavily Republican and those two first time running Democrats have less than a snowballs chance it would seem.

AZ US Senator - Democrats Deedra Abboud VS Kyrsten Sinema

Kyrsten has raised over 9 million. Deedra has raised 80k. Both caucasian girls. One is an open bi-sexual and the other an American born Christian who converted to being a Muslim. Deedra on her web site says she champions the LGBT cause. I don’t get it. I will get flack that maybe I deserve but, as an Agnostic I don’t get how an American born Christian becomes a Muslim, wears the jihab in public even and then champions the LGBT cause. Isn’t homosexuality strictly forbidden in Islam? I suppose Kyrsten could be a Catholic and champion the LGBT cause too and Catholics are forbidden to be gay too. I don’t have a problem if either one is gay or a Muslim. I just have a hard time with people that claim to be something and then take up a cause that goes against what you say you believe in.

https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summa ... 18&id=AZS2

This is the race with Sheriff Joe. There are lots of candidates and a lot of them have money behind them. This race will be a doozy. Arapio is seriously lacking in money raised compared to some of the other candidates.
Isn't there a BIG difference between Catholics and Muslims when it comes to homosexuality? I don't think you are going to get thrown off the roof in Vatican City for being openly gay, but I've never been to Rome to know if this happens. Half the clergy could be gay for all I know. Wouldn't that be pandering, trying to get as many recognized victim groups into one candidate, even if they contradict each other.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s a sin in both religions. I think Islamist extremists like ISIS have been known to throw them off buildings. The KKK is an extremist group that has also been known for violent acts against people they don’t approve of in the US too. We don’t lump the KKK in with all whites. How strict an interpretation depends on the location I imagine.

My point was I have a pet peeve with people that claim to be devout but take a public stance in direct opposition to their supposed religious beliefs.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
It’s a sin in both religions. I think Islamist extremists like ISIS have been known to throw them off buildings. The KKK is an extremist group that has also been known for violent acts against people they don’t approve of in the US too. We don’t lump the KKK in with all whites. How strict an interpretation depends on the location I imagine.

My point was I have a pet peeve with people that claim to be devout but take a public stance in direct opposition to their supposed religious beliefs.
Being a Muslim or Catholic is not incompatible with respecting the rights of others not to obey the rules of your religion.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:

You see this all the time. Such as 'devout' Catholics who vehemently fight for for all forms of abortion, which is not a stance of the Catholic church, as far as I know they are pretty firmly on the pro-life side. Extremists could be considered pretty common depending on where you live, I suppose.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:24 am
Nodack wrote:

Being a Muslim or Catholic is not incompatible with respecting the rights of others not to obey the rules of your religion.
Respecting a cause and taking up a cause are two different things imo. I respect people of faith but, I am not going to take up their cause. It goes against what I believe in.

The decided to look up homosexuality in Islam on Wikipedia just to see what it says.

LGBT in Islam is influenced by the religious, legal, social, and cultural history of the nations with a sizable Muslim population, along with specific passages in the Quran[1][2] and hadith, statements attributed to the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

The Quran cites the story of the "people of Lot" destroyed by the wrath of God because they engaged in lustful carnal acts between men. Homosexual acts are forbidden in traditional Islamic jurisprudence and are liable to different punishments, including the death penalty, depending on the situation and legal school. However, homosexual relationships were generally tolerated in pre-modern Islamic societies,[3][4] and historical record suggests that these laws were invoked infrequently, mainly in cases of rape or other "exceptionally blatant infringement on public morals".[5] Homoerotic themes were cultivated in poetry and other literary genres written in major languages of the Muslim world from the eighth century into the modern era.[6][4] The conceptions of homosexuality found in classical Islamic texts resemble the traditions of Graeco-Roman antiquity, rather than modern Western notions of sexual orientation.[5][7] It was expected that many or most mature men would be sexually attracted to both women and male adolescents (variously defined), and men were expected to wish to play only an active role in homosexual intercourse once they reached adulthood.[5][7]

In recent times, extreme prejudice persists, both socially and legally, in much of the Islamic world against people who engage in homosexual acts. In Afghanistan, Brunei, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia (in some southern regions), Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen, homosexual activity carries the death penalty.[8][9][10][11][12][13]

In other countries, such as Algeria, Bangladesh, Chad,[14] Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Qatar, Somalia and Syria, it is illegal.[15][16][17][18][19][20] Same-sex sexual intercourse is legal in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Niger, Tajikistan, Turkey, and most of Indonesia (except in Aceh and South Sumatra provinces, where bylaws against LGBT rights have been passed), as well as Northern Cyprus.[21][22][23][24]

Homosexual relations between females are legal in Kuwait, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, but homosexual acts between males are illegal.[21][25][26][27]

Most Muslim-majority countries and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have opposed moves to advance LGBT rights at the United Nations, in the General Assembly or the UNHRC. In May 2016, a group of 51 Muslim states blocked 11 gay and transgender organizations from attending 2016 High Level Meeting on Ending AIDS.[28][29][30][31] However, Albania, Guinea-Bissau and Sierra Leone have signed a UN Declaration supporting LGBT rights.[32][33] Albania provides LGBT rights protections in the form of anti-discrimination laws, and discussions on legally recognizing same-sex marriage have been held in the country.[34] Kosovo as well as the (internationally not recognized) Muslim-majority Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus also have anti-discrimination laws in place. There are also several groups within Islam around the world who support LGBT rights and LGBT Muslims. [31]

Catholic teaching condemns homosexual acts as gravely immoral, while holding that gay people "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity," and "every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."[1] "The Catholic Church holds that, as a state beyond a person's choice, being homosexual is not wrong or sinful in itself. But just as it is objectively wrong for unmarried heterosexuals to engage in sex, so too are homosexual acts considered to be wrong."[2]

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 am
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Respecting a cause and taking up a cause are two different things imo. I respect people of faith but, I am not going to take up their cause. It goes against what I believe in.

The decided to look up homosexuality in Islam on Wikipedia just to see what it says.

LGBT in Islam is influenced by the religious, legal, social, and cultural history of the nations with a sizable Muslim population, along with specific passages in the Quran[1][2] and hadith, statements attributed to the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

The Quran cites the story of the "people of Lot" destroyed by the wrath of God because they engaged in lustful carnal acts between men. Homosexual acts are forbidden in traditional Islamic jurisprudence and are liable to different punishments, including the death penalty, depending on the situation and legal school. However, homosexual relationships were generally tolerated in pre-modern Islamic societies,[3][4] and historical record suggests that these laws were invoked infrequently, mainly in cases of rape or other "exceptionally blatant infringement on public morals".[5] Homoerotic themes were cultivated in poetry and other literary genres written in major languages of the Muslim world from the eighth century into the modern era.[6][4] The conceptions of homosexuality found in classical Islamic texts resemble the traditions of Graeco-Roman antiquity, rather than modern Western notions of sexual orientation.[5][7] It was expected that many or most mature men would be sexually attracted to both women and male adolescents (variously defined), and men were expected to wish to play only an active role in homosexual intercourse once they reached adulthood.[5][7]

In recent times, extreme prejudice persists, both socially and legally, in much of the Islamic world against people who engage in homosexual acts. In Afghanistan, Brunei, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia (in some southern regions), Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen, homosexual activity carries the death penalty.[8][9][10][11][12][13]

In other countries, such as Algeria, Bangladesh, Chad,[14] Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Qatar, Somalia and Syria, it is illegal.[15][16][17][18][19][20] Same-sex sexual intercourse is legal in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Niger, Tajikistan, Turkey, and most of Indonesia (except in Aceh and South Sumatra provinces, where bylaws against LGBT rights have been passed), as well as Northern Cyprus.[21][22][23][24]

Homosexual relations between females are legal in Kuwait, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, but homosexual acts between males are illegal.[21][25][26][27]

Most Muslim-majority countries and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have opposed moves to advance LGBT rights at the United Nations, in the General Assembly or the UNHRC. In May 2016, a group of 51 Muslim states blocked 11 gay and transgender organizations from attending 2016 High Level Meeting on Ending AIDS.[28][29][30][31] However, Albania, Guinea-Bissau and Sierra Leone have signed a UN Declaration supporting LGBT rights.[32][33] Albania provides LGBT rights protections in the form of anti-discrimination laws, and discussions on legally recognizing same-sex marriage have been held in the country.[34] Kosovo as well as the (internationally not recognized) Muslim-majority Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus also have anti-discrimination laws in place. There are also several groups within Islam around the world who support LGBT rights and LGBT Muslims. [31]

Catholic teaching condemns homosexual acts as gravely immoral, while holding that gay people "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity," and "every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."[1] "The Catholic Church holds that, as a state beyond a person's choice, being homosexual is not wrong or sinful in itself. But just as it is objectively wrong for unmarried heterosexuals to engage in sex, so too are homosexual acts considered to be wrong."[2]
Do we take this information as proof that Catholicism and Islam treat the LBGT community equally or making that comparison is not a great moral equivalency.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 am
Nodack wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 am
Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Do we take this information as proof that Catholicism and Islam treat the LBGT community equally or making that comparison is not a great moral equivalency.
There is diversity within both religions, with views ranging from very tolerant to very intolerant. Either of those religions can be basically whatever you want it to be. At least in this country, at least for now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Wait, are you saying that your religious rules shouldn't be the rules of your government? Like, some type of separation between the two?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Disclamer: Far fetched what if scenario.

What if Russia really did try to help Trump win? What if they did help him win? What if Trump and Putin got together to try to ensure more victories for their cause? Would Trump be in a position to help Russia hack our election system?

I was watching the news.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireS ... n-57167711
U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, under fire from Florida's Republican governor, isn't backing down from comments that Russian operatives have penetrated some of his state's election systems ahead of this year's crucial election.

Nelson, while responding to questions from a reporter, said last week that Russians were able to get inside the election systems of "certain counties" and "now have free rein to move about." He added that "the threat is real and elections officials — at all levels — need to address the vulnerabilities."

Far fetched? Yes. Would I put it past Trump to do something this devious? He certainly doesn’t seem remotely concerned about trying to stop the Russians.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What if? We already know that they helped him. There's plenty of evidence right out in the open.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He means what if Trump is knowingly preventing / not supporting doing more to protect our elections from hacking because it is good for him, even though he knows Russia is behind it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Exactly. And I am wondering if he is actively helping Russia, not just looking the other way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:31 pm
Exactly. And I am wondering if he is actively helping Russia, not just looking the other way.
I honestly don't think he would "actively" help, but I think he could be intentionally not doing things people in the government want to do.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You are probably right. Trump has no expertise in tech anyway. I just wonder what went on in the private Trump / Putin summit for an hour. Nobody but Trump and Putin know.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What do you suggest that Trump do to ensure that Russia or anyone else can't meddle in election results?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He won’t even publicly admit they are. His Cabinet did when Trump was golfing. He can invent a Space Force. Surely he can mobilize his vast resources to do something. Stripping ex CIA heads of their security clearance isn’t going to do anything to stop Russia.

Maybe announce you created a special task force to take on Russias meddling. Maybe not askng Russia to hack more would be a start.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:08 pm
What do you suggest that Trump do to ensure that Russia or anyone else can't meddle in election results?
Support the people charged with preventing this. He didn't support the funding they needed/requested, and instead wants to spend 92 million on a parade for himself.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 am
In2ition wrote:
Support the people charged with preventing this. He didn't support the funding they needed/requested, and instead wants to spend 92 million on a parade for himself.
I was referring to specific policies to prevent it. Supporting the people charged with preventing this didn't work so well this past election and it's been a reported problem for a long time before. Whether it's eliminating voter intimidation, security of voting machines, or prevention of voter fraud by voters attempting to vote early and often or unregistered voters voting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 am
In2ition wrote:
I was referring to specific policies to prevent it. Supporting the people charged with preventing this didn't work so well this past election and it's been a reported problem for a long time before. Whether it's eliminating voter intimidation, security of voting machines, or prevention of voter fraud by voters attempting to vote early and often or unregistered voters voting.
Are you saying that you think the outcome of the previous election is in doubt due to hacking?

None of the items you listed has widespread impacts on election outcomes.

Voter intimidation works well to suppress votes of minorities, but is very hard to do from afar/from another country. Voting machines can certainly be hacked, but when you have paper ballots as back up, it doesn't pose nearly as much of a threat. And the entire commission set up to find evidence of wide-spread voter fraud found nothing.

What could greatly impact federal elections is eliminating people from voter rolls/changing their info in key jurisdictions and preventing "vote by email" which is allowed in many states. These are where we need to ensure those rolls are locked down, and just kill the email vote altogether. I am not sure if there is a less secure form of communication than email.