Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Superbone »

No civilian needs an AR-15. It's totally ridiculous.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans want AR-15s for when they violently overthrow the government to stop it from becoming too welcoming to dark skinned people and other undesirables.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 am
Police at schools do not make your/our kids safer...

(clip)
Thanks for this; I watched and enjoyed it.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing is, yes, McConaughey's speech was emotional. But you just aren't going to get elected Republicans to budge on anything. Appealing to their decency and their better nature is futile. They have abandoned these qualities long ago. They have absolutely no interest in compromising on a core party issue with the hated Democrats. Their own base would ride them out of town on a rail if they do so. Or some nutball from their own party would shoot them. They're not going to go along with any gun restrictions of any kind.

Well-intentioned Dems and moderates need to accept that the GOP is an obstructionist authoritarian party bent on taking power by any means necessary and is utterly unconcerned with the wellbeing of American citizens. Only if you accept what your enemy is can you figure out how to properly confront it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:05 pm
The thing is, yes, McConaughey's speech was emotional. But you just aren't going to get elected Republicans to budge on anything. Appealing to their decency and their better nature is futile. They have abandoned these qualities long ago. They have absolutely no interest in compromising on a core party issue with the hated Democrats. Their own base would ride them out of town on a rail if they do so. Or some nutball from their own party would shoot them. They're not going to go along with any gun restrictions of any kind.

Well-intentioned Dems and moderates need to accept that the GOP is an obstructionist authoritarian party bent on taking power by any means necessary and is utterly unconcerned with the wellbeing of American citizens. Only if you accept what your enemy is can you figure out how to properly confront it.
I don't think that is true. There are a ton of people I know on the GOP side that are fine with Red Flag, minimum ages, and safe storage laws. Even upping the requirements to own a semi-auto rifle that uses military rounds.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is hard to watch, but I won't look away. Clip of a teacher who was shot and wounded in the Uvalde mass shooting. He survived despite bullet wounds to his lung and back, but all 11 of his students were killed (!). He says that the police botched the response and he will never forgive them.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

I don't think that is true. There are a ton of people I know on the GOP side that are fine with Red Flag, minimum ages, and safe storage laws. Even upping the requirements to own a semi-auto rifle that uses military rounds.
I'm sure that's true, but I doubt it would affect their ballot choice when it comes time to vote. If the choice is either a Democrat who'll push for those legislations or a Republican who'll keep the status quo, they'll probably pick the Republican and nothing will change on the matter.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I'm sure that's true, but I doubt it would affect their ballot choice when it comes time to vote. If the choice is either a Democrat who'll push for those legislations or a Republican who'll keep the status quo, they'll probably pick the Republican and nothing will change on the matter.
Exactly.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I also want to be clear that my post was about elected Republicans, not every Republican voter. I think the vast majority of Republican voters are only mildly problematic and are generally being duped by partisan media into fear and hatred of Democrats.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:18 am
I also want to be clear that my post was about elected Republicans, not every Republican voter. I think the vast majority of Republican voters are only mildly problematic and are generally being duped by partisan media into fear and hatred of Democrats.
So by "their own base" you meant other elected GOP members, not their voters? I honestly don't see many GOP office holders getting kicked out of their seat if they supported universal background checks and waiting periods for semi-auto weapons that use military rounds.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

What I am saying is that if the GOP candidate supported those things, they are not going to stop voting for them. I mean some nuts will, but most of these candidates are from heavy GOP leaning districts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Katie Porter is awesome.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:35 am
What I am saying is that if the GOP candidate supported those things, they are not going to stop voting for them. I mean some nuts will, but most of these candidates are from heavy GOP leaning districts.
Just the other day a GOP Congressional candidate had to drop out because he made the unforgivable mistake of saying maybe we should regulate AR-15s.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:46 pm
Indy wrote:
Just the other day a GOP Congressional candidate had to drop out because he made the unforgivable mistake of saying maybe we should regulate AR-15s.
Because his GOP office holders took back their endorsements. Not his voters.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:46 pm
Indy wrote:
Because his GOP office holders took back their endorsements. Not his voters.
That's fine; my main point is about elected Republicans, that they are extreme and won't cooperate or compromise. If elected Republicans can't say moderate things about guns without being run out of town, that's bad. The party (especially the elected officials of that party) is becoming more and more extreme.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I agree with you about them. My point was there are so many life-long GOP voters that support keeping weapons of war out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 pm
Katie Porter is awesome.

Insane. And it falls on deaf ears.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We deserve everything we are getting.