Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy

Post by Indy »

"trained by"

"are"

"former"

what's the difference. rotten to the core.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Perhaps this isn't domestic terrorism, since so far there are no indications that there are. How does a high rise building just fall down out of the blue?

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Really? We're going to jump to domestic terrorism with no proof? Let's let the families at least grieve first.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:12 am
Really? We're going to jump to domestic terrorism with no proof? Let's let the families at least grieve first.
Dude, I didn't know where to put this. I have no idea where it falls in with the news, but I thought it was newsworthy. Yeah, there are probably numerous families in that building as it collapsed. Sorry that it upset you where it was put.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 am
Superbone wrote:
Dude, I didn't know where to put this. I have no idea where it falls in with the news, but I thought it was newsworthy. Yeah, there are probably numerous families in that building as it collapsed. Sorry that it upset you where it was put.
It's not where it was put, it's what you said. "Perhaps this isn't domestic terrorism..." I wasn't even paying attention to which thread it was posted to.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 am
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It's not where it was put, it's what you said. "Perhaps this isn't domestic terrorism..." I wasn't even paying attention to which thread it was posted to.
Fair enough. Are you ok now?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It looks like the Oklahoma bombing video. I can see where so e might suspect terrorism. There has been no mention of foul play yet by anyone on the official side. They said there was construction next door and someone raised the alarm that the concrete was cracking in places at the condo.

This sounds like an engineering failure and someone didn’t read the warning signs of eminent doom to me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 am
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Fair enough. Are you ok now?
Very much so. Thanks for asking. Go Suns! :D
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That video of the condo building collapsing is amazing. Wow. Was it cheaply made or something? Is the ground unstable?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I was wondering if perhaps some sink hole developed underneath the condo? Idk how else that could have happened naturally.

I don't think this had anything to do with it, but there was a bomb dropped in the ocean about 100+ miles off of Florida to test the ship construction that created an earthquake, but I hardly think that possibly could have caused this.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Miami building collapse: Possible causes explained by area expert
Miami's salty coastal air could have facilitated the erosion of steel, expert said
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/m ... ble-causes

"In a general way, there are many things that could happen. Construction defects or engineering defects," he said, adding that he's not suggesting there were any construction or engineering defects but simply pointing out the possibility. "I think there is some value, and it makes some sense to do periodic inspections."

He added that salt in Miami's coastal air could potentially facilitate the erosion of steel. Evidence or erosion can appear in rust stains or exposed rebar.

"It's like a cancer," Slossberg said. "By the time you see it, it could be too late."

He added, however, that while salt can have a severe impact on coastal buildings, he is not sure how long it would take for salt to erode a building's materials to the point of collapse.

Solssberg also suggested that if the building were constructed with a "post-tension slab," or a concrete slab that has cables running through it, and one of those cables came loose, that could have led to its destruction.

"Buildings need to be inspected much sooner than 40 years, especially in a county where sea-level rise can affect a foundation," she tweeted Thursday.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Leaders of Florida church arrested in connection to Capitol riot
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... pitol-riot
A father and son duo who lead a Florida church have been arrested in connection with the Jan. 6 Capitol riot after a member of their congregation, who also faces charges from the mob attack, helped link authorities to the men.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Engineer raised concerns about structural damage at Surfside condominium in 2018 report
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/miami- ... d6a197417c
A structural field survey report completed nearly three years before the collapse of the Champlain Towers south condominium complex in Surfside raised concerns about structural damage to the concrete slab below the pool deck and “cracking and spalling” located in the parking garage.

Page seven of the report, the goal of which was to "understand and document the extent of structural issues that require(d) repair and/or remediation in the immediate and near future," detailed signs of “distress/fatigue” in the parking garage:

“Abundant cracking and spalling of various degrees was observed in the concrete columns, beams and walls. Several sizeable spalls were noted in both the topside of the entrance drive ramp and underside of the pool/ entrance drive/ planter slabs, which included instances with exposed, deteriorating rebar. Though some of this damage is minor, most of the concrete deterioration needs to be repaired in a timely fashion.”

Spalling is a term used to describe areas of concrete that have cracked or crumbled.

The 2018 report also noted that "many of the previous garage concrete repairs" were "failing."

The report also said the waterproofing below the pool deck was failing and causing "major structural damage."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like the official death count is up to 4, but 159 others are "unaccounted for?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... e-updates/

I mean, aren't almost all of those 159 people likely dead in the rubble? Very sad. They were all just innocent people, everyday Americans, living their lives, and all of a sudden their building collapses on them. Such a huge loss of life. Unbelievable.

Won't there be a bunch of lawsuits against the building company or something because of the shoddy work or lack of repairs? Who is responsible?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The lawsuits will be in the very high millions, I would think. There's going to be a lot of deaths after this is all said and done. Very sad.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am
The lawsuits will be in the very high millions, I would think. There's going to be a lot of deaths after this is all said and done. Very sad.
But the building company or maintenance company or whatever is responsible will be bankrupt and never pay out to the families. America.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
But the building company or maintenance company or whatever is responsible will be bankrupt and never pay out to the families. America.
If that's the case, let's hope they had insurance at least.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
If that's the case, let's hope they had insurance at least.
Hope so. But insurance companies exist to take your money and not pay out (or pay out as little as possible). I would be very little consequence exists for the culpable people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This WaPo story has some gripping stories of people who were in or near the building as it collapsed. So sad.
Inside the tower, on the fifth floor, Esther Gorfinkel heard something and felt the shaking. Bad weather, she thought. In storm-prone South Florida, shaking didn’t necessarily mean crisis. Then Gorfinkel — at 88, an original resident of Champlain Towers — heard an announcement on the building intercom, first in English, then in Spanish: Evacuate now.

She hurried to a nearby exit door but it was warped, mangled. Suddenly, she could see the sky from inside her building. She groped toward another emergency exit, joining a group of about 15 people. They made it down the stairs of the still-standing portion of the building.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -collapse/