Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Indy »

People elected to represent you are open to criticism where ever they are. If Cruz doesn't want to hear from his constituents, he can hide in his home and put some noise cancelling headphones on. Actually, that doesn't go for just elected representatives. If you do something awful, you should hear about it where ever you go.

It is like the people bitching about cancel culture. It isn't cancel culture; it is called accountability. Do stupid/mean/fucked up shit to people, you should hear about it until you can atone for the behavior.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 pm
People elected to represent you are open to criticism where ever they are. If Cruz doesn't want to hear from his constituents, he can hide in his home and put some noise cancelling headphones on. Actually, that doesn't go for just elected representatives. If you do something awful, you should hear about it where ever you go.

It is like the people bitching about cancel culture. It isn't cancel culture; it is called accountability. Do stupid/mean/fucked up shit to people, you should hear about it until you can atone for the behavior.
Do you support the people who stand outside of abortion clinics and shout at the people who try to enter?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:31 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Do you support the people who stand outside of abortion clinics and shout at the people who try to enter?
I don't support what they say but I support their right to say it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We all talk with rage, fury, anger, disappointment and share Tweets. I'm guilty as charged on my own social media. We point the finger at Republicans as blood on their hands. I get all of the messages. But what are any of us doing individually or collectively to try and put a dent in the situation? What can we do? I've lived a life with many points in time being furious and disappointed and aired my grievances but done nothing to try and make the situation better.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think we are supposed to write our representatives to tell them how we feel and they are supposed to govern on our behalf based on the views of their constituents. Turns out they govern based on who donates the most to their campaigns.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:11 pm
I think we are supposed to write our representatives to tell them how we feel and they are supposed to govern on our behalf based on the views of their constituents. Turns out they govern based on who donates the most to their campaigns.
And SCOTUS says that corporations are people so the ones with the most money get the most votes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's all sad but true. Our country is going down the poop shoot. Slowly but surely. I'm often ashamed to be an American these days. Yeah, I know. If I don't like it, I can leave.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:51 am
We all talk with rage, fury, anger, disappointment and share Tweets. I'm guilty as charged on my own social media. We point the finger at Republicans as blood on their hands. I get all of the messages. But what are any of us doing individually or collectively to try and put a dent in the situation? What can we do? I've lived a life with many points in time being furious and disappointed and aired my grievances but done nothing to try and make the situation better.
I happen to live in a blue state with reasonable state gun laws. I do agree that folks in redder places who don't like these turns of events should call or write their Congresscritters and urge action. Doesn't do much, but collectively if they get a lot of calls they do start to worry that they'll lose votes if they don't get off their posteriors. Beyond that there isn't very much a single individual citizen can do to effect change on gun control.

I saw a funny tweet saying that Democrats should pass a law saying that every gun comes with a book. Then the GOP would want them banned.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So, um, the police are "no longer cooperating" with investigations into their conduct surrounding the Uvalde school shooting. There is some real smoke here. They fucked the whole thing up badly and are now trying to cover their asses. I really hope they are held accountable and not able to just corruption their way out of their mistakes that helped cost the lives of innocent children.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:29 pm
So, um, the police are "no longer cooperating" with investigations into their conduct surrounding the Uvalde school shooting. There is some real smoke here. They fucked the whole thing up badly and are now trying to cover their asses. I really hope they are held accountable and not able to just corruption their way out of their mistakes that helped cost the lives of innocent children.

Nobody should ever cooperate with the police if you are under investigation. You ALWAYS go through your legal team/lawyer. That said, man this looks bad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There is/was a narrative floating around, mostly in rightwing spaces, that the real reason the killer got into the school was because a teacher left a door open. Now, the cops are starting to walk back that narrative, as it appears the teacher did close the door and/or the whole thing may have been BS the whole time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:38 pm
There is/was a narrative floating around, mostly in rightwing spaces, that the real reason the killer got into the school was because a teacher left a door open. Now, the cops are starting to walk back that narrative, as it appears the teacher did close the door and/or the whole thing may have been BS the whole time.

Not just in right wing spaces. The police/sheriff said it during a news conference. Fucking blaming the teachers for this when their "good guy with a gun" didn't do shit.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Weren't their weapons underpowered compared to the AR-15 of the shooter?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Every standard duty police officer is outmatched weapon-wise by anyone with more than a pistol. Many will have a shotgun locked up in the car, though. But if the police motto is "protect and serve when I have bigger weapons than anyone else" I didn't realize they changed it. If you won't bother to risk your life to save 8-10 year old, why become a cop?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This made me laugh.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

So I try to steer clear of this folder because it's mainly just a lot of nonsense thrown back and forth, but this last incident in Uvalde is driving me nuts. My wife is a third grade teacher, and actually had an offer to be the long-term sub in one of the classrooms that got shot up in Sandy Hook and thankfully she declined the job. I actually proposed to her the day after Sandy Hook, so I guess it's a good thing she said no to that job eh? She's obviously beside herself after this event, and three of my lifelong friends are high ranking cops, and even they are saying how bad these cops f'ed up.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how the background checks and such work, as I don't own a gun. Might be shocking to hear since I'm a conservative, but I cannot see how anyone with a conscience can't agree that we need more thorough background checks/other forms of verification before purchasing guns. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but something has to be done. If someone can go to a gun show and plop down $500 for a rifle and walk out the door, how is that ok?

It's also tough for me because my father in law is an NRA member, a gun safety course instructor and an avid Trump supporter, and he's been blaming this all on the door being left open. He also downplayed Sandy Hook, almost thinking it was a hoax, and it's absurd. He is a responsible gun owner, and I think has a few AR-15s or other types of rifles locked away in a huge gun safe. They've never been taken out in the 12 years that I've known him, and I don't think anyone besides him knows the combination to the safe. I think we've asked him why he has those in the past and his response was something like "because I want them". I think they are considered illegal in CT now, so he's afraid to even try to get rid of them in the buy back programs for fear of getting in trouble.

I'm just rambling at this point, but if the cops did botch this as badly as it seems, heads need to roll. It's another case of the 5% or so of incompetent cops giving all of law enforcement a bad name, but their performance in this event was about as bad as the Suns in game 7 against Dallas. Sorry, had to inject a little humor in this dark topic.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I honestly don't care either way about the AR-15 style (or the numerous similar types) or rifles being legal or illegal. I just want them regulated more. It isn't just a gun show loop hole. I can legally sell a weapon to another person without doing any type of check at all, since I am not a licensed firearms broker. If it is easier to buy a tool *designed to kill people* than it is to buy insulin or sudafed, our country is fucked.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BigLewy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:30 pm
So I try to steer clear of this folder because it's mainly just a lot of nonsense thrown back and forth, but this last incident in Uvalde is driving me nuts. My wife is a third grade teacher, and actually had an offer to be the long-term sub in one of the classrooms that got shot up in Sandy Hook and thankfully she declined the job. I actually proposed to her the day after Sandy Hook, so I guess it's a good thing she said no to that job eh? She's obviously beside herself after this event, and three of my lifelong friends are high ranking cops, and even they are saying how bad these cops f'ed up.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how the background checks and such work, as I don't own a gun. Might be shocking to hear since I'm a conservative, but I cannot see how anyone with a conscience can't agree that we need more thorough background checks/other forms of verification before purchasing guns. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but something has to be done. If someone can go to a gun show and plop down $500 for a rifle and walk out the door, how is that ok?

It's also tough for me because my father in law is an NRA member, a gun safety course instructor and an avid Trump supporter, and he's been blaming this all on the door being left open. He also downplayed Sandy Hook, almost thinking it was a hoax, and it's absurd. He is a responsible gun owner, and I think has a few AR-15s or other types of rifles locked away in a huge gun safe. They've never been taken out in the 12 years that I've known him, and I don't think anyone besides him knows the combination to the safe. I think we've asked him why he has those in the past and his response was something like "because I want them". I think they are considered illegal in CT now, so he's afraid to even try to get rid of them in the buy back programs for fear of getting in trouble.

I'm just rambling at this point, but if the cops did botch this as badly as it seems, heads need to roll. It's another case of the 5% or so of incompetent cops giving all of law enforcement a bad name, but their performance in this event was about as bad as the Suns in game 7 against Dallas. Sorry, had to inject a little humor in this dark topic.
By the way, this was the perfect description of this section.

Indy

Post by Indy »

America, in a nut shell.