VOTE!

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

VOTE!

Post by Mori Chu »

Hi all, I just wanted to say, I don't care if you lean blue or red or purple or something else entirely; either way, I strongly encourage you to VOTE Tuesday, November 6, in the 2018 midterm elections. It's the strongest tool you have to make a difference and make your voice heard. If you aren't sure whom to vote for or how to answer some of the questions, consider looking at recommendations from a news source you trust, such as the local paper, a local political web site, or a candidate's web site. You can do it!

Cap

Re: VOTE!

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:35 am
Hi all, I just wanted to say, I don't care if you lean blue or red or purple or something else entirely; either way, I strongly encourage you to VOTE Tuesday, November 6, in the 2018 midterm elections. It's the strongest tool you have to make a difference and make your voice heard. If you aren't sure whom to vote for or how to answer some of the questions, ask Cap. You can do it!
FTFY. :D

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Works for me!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I voted by mail about 4 weeks ago. I hope everybody votes!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1059844155747254272

Voter suppression in Dodge City, KS? What do you all think?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't know. Strange that it's so far out of town. Here's an interesting article about it. What are provisional ballots?

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-go ... 91020.html
"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Just got done voting because Mori vote-shamed me

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 pm
Just got done voting because Mori vote-shamed me
Cool!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The was supposed to be early voting like I have been for a long time. I never recieved a ballot that I know of and I was looking. I went down and voted in person. There was almost no line at 3pm. The screens you verified who you were were kind of cool. It scans you bar code on your drivers license and asks if you are you. Mine got flagged on the screen I had to raise my hand and a guy came over and verified I was who I was.

I thought I was prepared. I had a piece of paper with all the local propositions on it and a yes or a no. I got to question 1 & 2 I knew exactly what I wanted to vote and did. Then right below that I see another question 1 & 2. I was like, what, two sets of question 1 & 2 covering two different things? Doh!

I got to the judges and left them blank. I didn’t research them at all. All those superintendent for public school and mine inspector type ones? I had no idea, so I left them blank too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm
The was supposed to be early voting like I have been for a long time. I never recieved a ballot that I know of and I was looking. I went down and voted in person. There was almost no line at 3pm. The screens you verified who you were were kind of cool. It scans you bar code on your drivers license and asks if you are you. Mine got flagged on the screen I had to raise my hand and a guy came over and verified I was who I was.

I thought I was prepared. I had a piece of paper with all the local propositions on it and a yes or a no. I got to question 1 & 2 I knew exactly what I wanted to vote and did. Then right below that I see another question 1 & 2. I was like, what, two sets of question 1 & 2 covering two different things? Doh!

I got to the judges and left them blank. I didn’t research them at all. All those superintendent for public school and mine inspector type ones? I had no idea, so I left them blank too.
I did the same thing with the judges.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is usually hard to find good info on judges, as it is usually when they do something bad (like give a rapist 2 weeks in jail or something like that) when you hear about them, or even find articles about them. I usually have to leave most of them blank.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The supreme court here in Michigan is a little different. It is listed as a non-partisan portion of the ballot, so no parties or affiliations are shown. But the only way to get on the ballot is for a party to nominate them. So it won't show a (D) or (R) or (I) or (G) next to anyone's name, but they are all nominated by those groups. Really stupid, and intentionally tricky.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Last time I remembered to study the judges and found a site that graded them and found a couple that stood out as bad. I was just so fixated on stopping Trump this year that i was unprepared for anything else.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:25 pm
Last time I remembered to study the judges and found a site that graded them and found a couple that stood out as bad. I was just so fixated on stopping Trump this year that i was unprepared for anything else.
You can get their ABA rating, but really that doesn't tell you much. And there are some sites that judge them based on their particular stance. I just want to find a way to see if the old white guy is racist or a womanizer. Can't we just have a site for that?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He probably is.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"What are provisional ballots?"

In Arizona, a provisional ballot is given to anyone who is not on the polling location’s roster or if the voter is unable to provide a valid form of identification. Possible reasons for not being on a voting roster are:

* Recently moved and did not update your voter info in time
* You voted at a polling place not assigned to you
* You requested an early ballot
* Your voter registration is no longer active
* You are not registered

If a voter casts a provisional ballot, it will be collected along with early ballots that were dropped off on Election Day. County election officials must research, verify and validate each provisional ballot before the votes are tabulated. That can take several days, depending on the number of such ballots that were cast. Those who voted using a provisional ball can check on the Secretary of State's web site to see if your provisional ballot was ultimately verified and counted.

As an example, I worked a polling place yesterday that had about 290 regular ballots cast, 40 provisional ballots and about 175 mail-in ballots that voters dropped off. (Early ballots were due in the mail about a week before, afterwards, they had to be submitted at a polling place.)
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 pm
He probably is.
I know. We all know.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:20 pm
"What are provisional ballots?"

In Arizona, a provisional ballot is given to anyone who is not on the polling location’s roster or if the voter is unable to provide a valid form of identification. Possible reasons for not being on a voting roster are:

* Recently moved and did not update your voter info in time
* You voted at a polling place not assigned to you
* You requested an early ballot
* Your voter registration is no longer active
* You are not registered

If a voter casts a provisional ballot, it will be collected along with early ballots that were dropped off on Election Day. County election officials must research, verify and validate each provisional ballot before the votes are tabulated. That can take several days, depending on the number of such ballots that were cast. Those who voted using a provisional ball can check on the Secretary of State's web site to see if your provisional ballot was ultimately verified and counted.

As an example, I worked a polling place yesterday that had about 290 regular ballots cast, 40 provisional ballots and about 175 mail-in ballots that voters dropped off. (Early ballots were due in the mail about a week before, afterwards, they had to be submitted at a polling place.)
Wow, Laz. Thanks for the detailed info!
"Be Legendary."