Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Indy »

But let's face it, if this was something about Trump (who I am not a fan of), this would be ALL over every website imaginable.
Over 20 women have credibly accused Trump of sexual misconduct, including a recent rape allegation. It made headlines for a day or two, then went away.

I need to read about this from Biden when I can find some news on it later.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, Trump has over 20 sexual assault claims against him including rape that are pretty well known. That doesn’t make the claim against Biden any less meaningful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... llegations

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am
Yes, Trump has over 20 sexual assault claims against him including rape that are pretty well known. That doesn’t make the claim against Biden any less meaningful.

agreed. I was just referring to the comment that if it were Trump it would be talked about non-stop. Can you imagine having to pick between two rapists to be president?

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:06 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

agreed. I was just referring to the comment that if it were Trump it would be talked about non-stop. Can you imagine having to pick between two rapists to be president?
That's unfortunately the most likely outcome, which means I'll be voting independent again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just saw the following article about the Biden sexual assault charge. Haven't read it yet.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/27/21195935/ ... allegation

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sanders dropped out of the race today.

Trump urges Sanders supporters to join GOP after senator suspends campaign
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... s-campaign

Good luck with that Trump

Trump: Republicans 'should fight very hard' against expanded mail-in voting
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ed-mail-in
President Trump on Wednesday urged Republicans to "fight very hard" against expanding mail-in voting, portraying ballot access as a partisan issue amid concerns that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic will make going to the polls unsafe.

"Republicans should fight very hard when it comes to state wide mail-in voting. Democrats are clamoring for it. Tremendous potential for voter fraud, and for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans," Trump wrote in a tweet that appeared to be inspired by a segment "Fox & Friends."

"I think mail-in voting is horrible. It’s corrupt," Trump said Tuesday.

When a reporter noted that Trump voted by mail in Florida's primary last month, the president suggested it was different because he lives out of state.

What a crock. Trump doesn’t want mail in voting because it increases voter turnout and that is bad for Republicans.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:15 pm
I just saw the following article about the Biden sexual assault charge. Haven't read it yet.

This is...disturbing. I had not seen it anywhere until now. Not surprising given what's being going on in the news cycle.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:11 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:15 pm

This is...disturbing. I had not seen it anywhere until now. Not surprising given what's being going on in the news cycle.
It's being swept under the rug basically because it's Biden. Yes, it won't dominate the news cycle with everything going on, but if that was an accusation against Bernie, I'd bet a few paychecks the MSM would run with it a LOT more. That moron Alyssa Milano even came out and said that she basically believes Biden and you can't just automatically assume guilt. Which is funny since she was front and center trying to destroy Kavanaugh on allegations that were wayyyy more flimsy than this. You can't say "believe all women" when it fits your narrative, but then say Biden deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Biden's choice of VP will ultimately decide the election, in my opinion.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think he'll ask Klobuchar. She just makes too much sense. I really wish he'd pick my beloved Liz Warren, but I doubt it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden needs about 20 more women accusing him of sexual assault to catch up to Trump.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

They're both creeps and I don't want either one of them representing me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:07 pm
Too bad. One or the other is going to be it. If it’s got to be the lesser of the evils, so be it.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Too bad. One or the other is going to be it. If it’s got to be the lesser of the evils, so be it.
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:21 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Pretty much although I can’t imagine there ever being a worse president than the current one in my lifetime or my children’s lifetime.
"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:07 pm
I think he'll ask Klobuchar. She just makes too much sense. I really wish he'd pick my beloved Liz Warren, but I doubt it.
I hope he chooses Klobuchar. That might be enough to sway me into voting for him, because I do have some worries about his ability to be fit for office for an entire term, so I might be voting for his VP as the next President. I don't know much about Klobuchar, but that may almost be a good thing since people like Harris and Warren can be so polarizing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think there is anyone Biden can pick that would turn a would-be Trump voter into a Biden voter.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am

I think there is a lot more cross-over than you think.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am

I think there is a lot more cross-over than you think.
I think Sanders is a lot more serious about getting his supporters to support the Democratic nominee this time around.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Last time weren't there about 15-20% of Bernie voters who went for Trump?

I think that number will be a lot lower this time around, for three reasons:

1) In 2016 some folks frustrated with the system, who went for Bernie because they wanted a revolution, may have given Trump a chance as a "change" candidate rather than going with Hillary as an "establishment" candidate. I think 2016-present have shown that Trump does not bring "change" in any meaningful way that Bernie voters would want.

2) A lot of 2016 Trump voters were explicitly voting against Hillary because they had specific dislike for her personally. Decades of anti-Clinton messaging and various ups and downs of her political past hurt her with some of these voters. Biden doesn't have nearly the same number of people who viscerally dislike him.

3) Last time Bernie seemed quite reluctant to endorse Hillary or help her in the general election. This time he seems to understand more of his obligation to support the eventual nominee.

I think the number of Bernie voters who end up voting for Trump will be much less than 20% this time around. I'd say single-digits.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 am
Last time weren't there about 15-20% of Bernie voters who went for Trump?

I think that number will be a lot lower this time around, for three reasons:

1) In 2016 some folks frustrated with the system, who went for Bernie because they wanted a revolution, may have given Trump a chance as a "change" candidate rather than going with Hillary as an "establishment" candidate. I think 2016-present have shown that Trump does not bring "change" in any meaningful way that Bernie voters would want.

2) A lot of 2016 Trump voters were explicitly voting against Hillary because they had specific dislike for her personally. Decades of anti-Clinton messaging and various ups and downs of her political past hurt her with some of these voters. Biden doesn't have nearly the same number of people who viscerally dislike him.

3) Last time Bernie seemed quite reluctant to endorse Hillary or help her in the general election. This time he seems to understand more of his obligation to support the eventual nominee.

I think the number of Bernie voters who end up voting for Trump will be much less than 20% this time around. I'd say single-digits.
1 should have been misogyny.