Democratic primary watch

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Democratic primary watch

Post by Indy »

I didn't know what it was until a few years ago. I think it was v9's post on FB back then that made me go look it up. I keep watching it ever since, but can never bring myself to put a bunch of money there. It is certainly volatile, so you have to watch it. But when it spikes, it really spikes. If you look over the last several years, you could easily buy it for 10-12/share, and sell for 25-30/share. You just have to be willing to wait and watch and not try and ride it too high.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I rode it from 12 to 17 and still lost money because of time value of money! But 13 right now is insane. Maybe non leveraged ETF

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm
I rode it from 12 to 17 and still lost money because of time value of money! But 13 right now is insane. Maybe non leveraged ETF
I have no idea what this means. :lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Non leveraged WTF??

Indy

Post by Indy »

I had to some research. Interesting way to get benefits of mutual funds, but with a lower expense ratio and tax burden.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You guys are talking way over my head.

Indy

Post by Indy »

mine too

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:53 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I think he means like us normal folks. Not on margin. But maybe he can enlighten us.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:53 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I think he means like us normal folks. Not on margin. But maybe he can enlighten us.
I guess not:
A leveraged exchange-traded fund (ETF) is a marketable security that uses financial derivatives and debt to amplify the returns of an underlying index. ... Leveraged ETFs are available for most indexes, such as the Nasdaq 100 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA).
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think I'll just stick to my index funds with maybe the occasional gamble on an individual stock. :)

I sure wish I had held on to my Apple stock that I purchased at 150 not that long ago.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

AAPL rules!

I bought aapl right after Jobs came back and sold during the recession. I bought some again and Superbones Vanguard US stocks one too when I got back in minus a new Volt. VTI has gone up 36%, which is good. Apple has gone up 90%, which is awesome!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Remember that stuff about the first round at Zipps being on me? F that. First round is on you wealthy investors.

Now, when are y’all gonna fly into Phoenix so you can buy me that drink?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am up 115% on Apple, but my favorite individual stock is Amazon. I am up 473% on that one. I wish my two index funds (where most of my money went) were a quarter of that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am
Remember that stuff about the first round at Zipps being on me? F that. First round is on you wealthy investors.

I bought Apple when I was poor, separated and living in a studio apartment. I scraped together $2k just to buy aapl because Steve Jobs was rehired. I was the opposite of wealthy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This week's Dem debate may be delayed or canceled due to a union protest set to happen at the venue.

https://prospect.org/labor/the-little-u ... ic-debate/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I missed the amazon train.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:11 pm
I missed the amazon train.
I thought I did, too. I looked at it and saw it over 300 and thought, "how much higher could it go?" But I used it a lot (much more than I need to/should). That is usually how I buy individual stocks. If I use the company a lot, and am happy with my products/services, I buy it. Worked out well for Amazon so far. They are at 1784 right now, and have been above 2000 recently.

I also bought Costco for the same reason, but much later (last year). So far they are up 86%. Not bad for ~20 months or so.

But it has been 4.5 years since I put most of my non 401k money into two different index funds. The better of the two is up 78% and the other is 34%... again, nearly 5 years later.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A lot better rate than a savings account at Chase....

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Cap wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am

How about this weekend?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Regarding investments, I would be all about precious metals if I didn't have most of my net worth tied up in my startup. I am for all intent and purposes a poor man lol.

FYI - as seen on the other thread - there is no shared reality anymore. Some substantial blinders on the Democratic side but really a fantasy world on the Republican side. I wish old John McCain were still around. Never before have we needed him more.

Eventually it will turn into something that makes Hong Kong look like a sloppy dress rehearsal. And on top of the overextended nature of the markets we are going to see precious metals soar.