Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Impeachment

Post by Indy »

thank you for being weird with me nodack.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm
That ruling isn’t even on the radar anymore. It’s past tense and nobody is talking about it except weird people like you and I that actually pay attention. Like I have said before, nothing short of millions of people marching in the streets demanding action gets the attention of politicians and gets anything started. Until that happens all this is just talk and the lobbyists win.
We tried that. It didn't work...and this is how HK descended into firebombs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Lannister's always win and they don’t always pay their debts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:26 pm
The Lannister's always win and they don’t always pay their debts.
ouch. very true

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Haven’t heard a word about Rudy. What ever happened to him?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... hloroquine
With the COVID-19 pandemic intensifying and the economy cratering, can the United States survive another injection of Rudy Giuliani?

It looks like we’re about to find out. The Washington Post reports that the former mayor of New York City is taking time off from his relentless pursuit of Hunter Biden and the Ukrainian hiding spot of the Democratic National Committee’s email server to become a medical researcher for President Trump.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump continues his purge of Inspector Generals.

State Department inspector general fired
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... red-report
State Department Inspector General Steve Linick was ousted Friday evening, becoming the latest government watchdog to be removed from his post.
Linick, whose ouster was first reported by Politico, played a small role in President Trump’s impeachment, providing documents to lawmakers that had been handed over to the State Department by Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Also read he was investigating Pompeo for something.

Another GOP yes-man will take his place. Dems are outraged, but that's about it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump has systematically been eliminating all checks on his power.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 am

Another GOP yes-man will take his place. Dems are outraged, but that's about it.
What choice do they have?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Trump has systematically been eliminating all checks on his power.
Yep, classic dictator.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:25 pm
ShelC wrote:

None I guess. Just pisses me off thinking about all that time sitting in American history classes growing up learning about the brilliance of the founding fathers and how the constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written and prevents things like this thru checks and balances. Took a B list celebrity reality star some 3 years to systematically tear it up with no resistance.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:25 pm
ShelC wrote:

None I guess. Just pisses me off thinking about all that time sitting in American history classes growing up learning about the brilliance of the founding fathers and how the constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written and prevents things like this thru checks and balances. Took a B list celebrity reality star some 3 years to systematically tear it up with no resistance.
I'm with you, man! It really sucks!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The scent of fascism is even stronger this morning.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If President Obama or Hillary had fired 4 inspector generals, the most recent of which because he was investigating him or his AG, the Republicans would go ballistic. Trump does it, they don't care. The entire federal government is being hollowed out and being replaced with toadies and loyalists. The damage from this President will last decades.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah on Saturday tweeted: "The firings of multiple Inspectors General is unprecedented; doing so without good cause chills the independence essential to their purpose.

"It is a threat to accountable democracy and a fissure in the constitutional balance of power," Romney continued.

Pelosi in a Sunday interview with CBS' Margaret Brennan called Linick's firing "unsavory" and said it was "typical of the White House" to do such a controversial move "late on a Friday night."

Trump in recent months has purged the federal government of several other watchdogs he apparently viewed as disloyal to him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/1 ... dog-263575

The president removed Christi Grimm, the acting inspector general for the Department of Health and Human Services, who issued a report critical of the administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic; removed the intelligence community’s inspector general, Michael Atkinson, whose handling of a whistleblower report ultimately led to Trump’s impeachment in the House; and sidelined Glenn Fine, who had been tapped by a panel of inspectors general to oversee the group charged with monitoring the coronavirus relief effort.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pompeo declined interview request in IG inquiry into Saudi arms sales: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... arms-sales
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined an interview request from the department’s inspector general over whether the Trump administration illegally issued an emergency declaration in May to move ahead on a weapons sale to Saudi Arabia, according to the New York Times.

Pompeo opted to answer written questions from investigators working for Inspector General Steve Linick, who President Trump fired last week.

In a Monday interview with The Washington Post, Pompeo said he did not know the fired inspector general was investigating his own conduct and said he'd recommended the firing because he believed the State Department inspector general was “undermining” the work of the agency. In the interview, he first acknowledged that he did, in fact, pressure the president to oust Linick, as he has with several other government watchdogs.

I had no idea the Inspector General was investigating me when I asked Trump to fire him. Sure I believe you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 am
Pompeo declined interview request in IG inquiry into Saudi arms sales: report
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... arms-sales
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined an interview request from the department’s inspector general over whether the Trump administration illegally issued an emergency declaration in May to move ahead on a weapons sale to Saudi Arabia, according to the New York Times.

Pompeo opted to answer written questions from investigators working for Inspector General Steve Linick, who President Trump fired last week.

In a Monday interview with The Washington Post, Pompeo said he did not know the fired inspector general was investigating his own conduct and said he'd recommended the firing because he believed the State Department inspector general was “undermining” the work of the agency. In the interview, he first acknowledged that he did, in fact, pressure the president to oust Linick, as he has with several other government watchdogs.

I had no idea the Inspector General was investigating me when I asked Trump to fire him. Sure I believe you.
It honestly makes no sense for the executive branch to appoint IGs or have them serve at the pleasure of the president. They should be installed by congress for 10 year terms (with option for removal by congress if needed).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think they ever thought a US President could possibly be this corrupt.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am
I don’t think they ever thought a US President could possibly be this corrupt.
Not sure about that since I think they were created as a result of Nixon. And I mean after Teapot Dome, a cabinet member went to prison for accepting bribes.