Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12098
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Impeachment

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am

The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 7156
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Impeachment

Post by ShelC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:23 am

This country is seriously broken.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am
The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.
Idk, I think Nodack is right, this seems to be all theatre. She's claiming that the Republicans gave it to her, because they weren't wearing a mask. That means she must have been wearing a mask though, right?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 12427
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Impeachment

Post by Indy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am

so now you believe masks work...

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 6901
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by Cap » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am

Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12098
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Impeachment

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am

A third Dem congressman, Rep Brad Schneider (D-IL), has now tested positive for COVID after being stuck in the confined room with the GOP.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am
A third Dem congressman, Rep Brad Schneider (D-IL), has now tested positive for COVID after being stuck in the confined room with the GOP.
That could be the case that they got it from the GOP congressmen, but how do we know for sure? Did those GOP have it or have it now? Do we have proof, or just conjecture?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 12427
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Impeachment

Post by Indy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
you can still spread it, even if you already had it.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 12427
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Impeachment

Post by Indy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
sure i am the one missing the point in this thread.

Online
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 19637
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Impeachment

Post by Superbone » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am
The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.
And you've seen the video of them laughing off the mask offer, right?
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season!

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
so now you believe masks work...
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
you can still spread it, even if you already had it.
Only if they are infected by someone else, right? So, immune person spreads it by inhaling the virus from some other person, then exhaling that same virus to others?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 12427
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Impeachment

Post by Indy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am


I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
you can still spread it, even if you already had it.
Only if they are infected by someone else, right? So, immune person spreads it by inhaling the virus from some other person, then exhaling that same virus to others?
well, nobody can get it or spread it unless they are infected by someone else. that is kind of what an infection disease is.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7106
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by In2ition » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:59 am

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am


The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
you can still spread it, even if you already had it.
Only if they are infected by someone else, right? So, immune person spreads it by inhaling the virus from some other person, then exhaling that same virus to others?
well, nobody can get it or spread it unless they are infected by someone else. that is kind of what an infection disease is.
Specifically, this is affirmative to each of these questions? But you couldn't get it from a masked person or spread it to other masked people while wearing a mask and being immune?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by Nodack » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:12 pm

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am
The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.
Idk, I think Nodack is right, this seems to be all theatre. She's claiming that the Republicans gave it to her, because they weren't wearing a mask. That means she must have been wearing a mask though, right?
By theatre I mean the House will vote to impeach and the Senate will punt. I am all for impeachment or the 25th. It’s theatre because they won’t succeed in getting the Senate to impeach unless it’s after Trump leaves.

I don’t know who was infected or not or by who. Clearly the rioters weren’t wearing masks. The video of Congressmen huddling under desks and behind railings didn’t all have masks. Some had them, some had their plastic gas masks on or in their hands. I think they were a little more worried of being shot, hung or beaten than wearing their masks.

I am for whatever it takes to neuter Trumps political ambitions for life.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by Nodack » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Top US generals condemn Capitol attack in message to troops
https://news.yahoo.com/top-us-generals- ... 35785.html
"The violent riot... was as direct assault on the US Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process," said a memorandum signed by all eight members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, led by the chairman, General Mark Milley.

"The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection," they said.

The letter said members of the armed services are bound to defend the constitution.

"Any act to disrupt the constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values and oath; it is against the law."

"We don't tolerate extremists in our ranks," said spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

Underscoring the point, the Joint Chiefs said that, "in accordance with the Constitution," Biden would be inaugurated on January 20th "and will become our 46th commander in chief."

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Impeachment

Post by Nodack » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:05 am

https://news.trust.org/item/20210112223824-d64ql
Liz Cheney, the No. 3 Republican in the House of Representatives, said: "There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution," as the Democratic-led chamber moved forward on a path to remove Trump from office.

Trump "summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack" on the Capitol last Wednesday, Cheney, the daughter of former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney, said in a statement, adding: "I will vote to impeach the president."

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12098
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Impeachment

Post by Mori Chu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 am

Trump will be impeached by end-of-day Wednesday. He may actually get removed this time, too. Even McConnell may have turned against him. I suspect resigning would be the smart move for Trump, and then hoping for Pence to pardon him quickly.

User avatar
3rdside
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Impeachment

Post by 3rdside » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 am

Why does the US fall for conspiracy theories?

Daniel Finkelstein
The Times
Spoiler: show/hide

Post Reply