NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
virtual9mm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:13 pm
China is encroaching on Hong Kong around the same time that Russia is encroaching on Ukraine. It would be tough for the US if both of them made a move at the same time.
It is simple. There is absolutely nothing the US can do about HK. Focus on the Ukraine.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That American athlete Gu who played for China, that was not cool. I get that she wanted to be in the Olympics, but you don't just bail on your country and go represent a sort-of enemy nation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:35 am
That American athlete Gu who played for China, that was not cool. I get that she wanted to be in the Olympics, but you don't just bail on your country and go represent a sort-of enemy nation.
She could have been in the Olympics for USA too, so it wasn’t about that. She’s Chinese-American, her mother came over from mainland China. I don’t think it’s that big of a stretch for her to want to represent China. Of course the rumor is the sponsorship deals were pretty massive in China(I heard 36 million) hard to turn that down.

The US has done the reverse. Hakeem Olajuwon played for USA basketball even though he was born in and grew up in Nigeria.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is a fucking game. Who cares what team you are on?

And if I never hear Maher again, I will be happy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:23 am

Nobody forced you to click on it.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:34 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:23 am

Nobody forced you to click on it.
You are right... and I didn't.

I my hostility wasn't directed at you for posting it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You obviously hate Maher. He’s just another voice that lands somewhere in the middle. He’s not right about everything but he asks and says what others might not. His guests are a mix of left and right. I find his show informative and engaging. I don’t always agree with him but, I don’t hate him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:02 am
You obviously hate Maher. He’s just another voice that lands somewhere in the middle. He’s not right about everything but he asks and says what others might not. His guests are a mix of left and right. I find his show informative and engaging. I don’t always agree with him but, I don’t hate him.
This. It at least makes you think.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't hate him. I think he doesn't add much to the conversation, and his holeyer-than-thou attitude makes me not want to listen to him. I used to think the same way you two do about him, but the more I saw his chauvinism and islamaphobic attitudes, I figured it was time to stop listening to him. I used to watch his show every week (not just his HBO one, but the one he had on--ABC I think--back in the day).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maher is a mixed bag. I don't like how anti-religious he is, and especially how anti-Islam he is. I sometimes appreciate how he can cut through BS and say tough things, like pointing out the danger of Trumpism and authoritarianism in this country. But he's also become more bitter and acerbic lately, and a lot of his rants feel angry and negative and targeted more at other liberals/Dems than at the real bad guys. And he has pushed back against excessive political correctness and "wokeness" which I am somewhat sympathetic with, but he has become so loudly anti-woke and anti-PC lately that it's past the point I would support. I also don't like how he seems to eagerly invite people on his show who are total phonies or blowhards or disseminators of misinformation, like Tulsi Gabbard or Marianne Williamson or Jordan Peterson or whomever.

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah, he is king of the anti-woke militia in the US. I don't get why it is 99% straight white rich guys leading that charge.