NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15011
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.
Are you essentially stuck there, or are there other places that you could live you life just as easily but be safer?

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.
As you can tell by my numerous posts on this subject, I am taking it seriously. It seems as of China and Russia are intent on pushing their boundaries since Biden was elected. Russia has massed a lot of troops near the border of Ukraine very recently. With the US at war with itself, both of them and even Iran might think now is a good time to see how much they can get away with before we respond.

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.
Are you essentially stuck there, or are there other places that you could live you life just as easily but be safer?
We can always make a run for it but the stupidity of the Trump years has delayed my wife's green card application. Of course, we could always go to Canada since she's a Canadian citizen. But there isn't all that much that someone with my qualifications could easily do in Canada and my wife's career would be similarly shot.

The reality is that we're crossing our fingers that we won't have to leave for a couple of years and that we'll be in a much better position by then.

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
Folks are suddenly treating a Chinese invasion of Taiwan as a more serious possibility. I think it is just a reaction to official US rhetoric but it still has me spooked. Being a US citizen in HK is getting a bit scary.
As you can tell by my numerous posts on this subject, I am taking it seriously. It seems as of China and Russia are intent on pushing their boundaries since Biden was elected. Russia has massed a lot of troops near the border of Ukraine very recently. With the US at war with itself, both of them and even Iran might think now is a good time to see how much they can get away with before we respond.
I get the feeling that you might be one of the very few folks in the US who truly realize how dangerous this situation is. Yang Jiechi and others are actively testing the degree to which the US is still the US after Trump. Biden's more of a normal/real president but the damage has been done. I think that America is slowly but surely losing to the Chinese even after competent folks have taken over State and Defense.

I don't think that China will actually invade but regardless we're in for a world of shit. While we squabble about serious existential issues back at home, our economic and military security position is being seriously degraded. If Korea decides to sit out on the Quad, China's just secured its northeastern flank and will get super aggressive in the South China Sea. And that WILL have an effect on the domestic economy.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

I think the economic war with China was lost a while ago. We aren’t doing the things we need to do to compete because we cannot agree on anything no matter how small. It’s really sad to see our downfall at the hands of ourselves. Like you said virtual, we won’t wise up until our nose has been bloodied.

I hope you stay safe virtual9mm. China has definitely been building up their military and it seems to me like Americans are paying for it every time we buy something. It seems to me China isn’t known for global aggression but, will defend itself if it feels threatened. Hong Kong is complicated and it seems China is fighting a slow siege to take control by scaring the hell out of them with their increased military presence.

Russia seems poised to attack the Ukraine with a full frontal assault and I wonder what our response will be. Republicans will automatically attack Biden’s response or lack of response. That is a given and that’s what Putin will be counting on.

I also sort of expect China and Russia would coordinate their attacks. Russia invades the Ukraine and China tries yo take over Hong Kong by force. What would be the US response? What should the US response be?

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am
I think the economic war with China was lost a while ago. We aren’t doing the things we need to do to compete because we cannot agree on anything no matter how small. It’s really sad to see our downfall at the hands of ourselves. Like you said virtual, we won’t wise up until our nose has been bloodied.

I hope you stay safe virtual9mm. China has definitely been building up their military and it seems to me like Americans are paying for it every time we buy something. It seems to me China isn’t known for global aggression but, will defend itself if it feels threatened. Hong Kong is complicated and it seems China is fighting a slow siege to take control by scaring the hell out of them with their increased military presence.

Russia seems poised to attack the Ukraine with a full frontal assault and I wonder what our response will be. Republicans will automatically attack Biden’s response or lack of response. That is a given and that’s what Putin will be counting on.

I also sort of expect China and Russia would coordinate their attacks. Russia invades the Ukraine and China tries yo take over Hong Kong by force. What would be the US response? What should the US response be?
Oh -- China has been ultra aggressive everywhere (e.g. the military conflict with India), already has eliminated Hong Kong autonomy, and yet we can't agree on basic stuff like vaccines. The day is already very late.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

China already ‘engaging in irregular war’ with US in the ‘grey zone’
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chin ... 00bbfad62f
“Russia and China plan on winning the Great Power Competition by undermining the US, sowing discord, and continuing a secret war until the positions in the world order are reversed,” an essay by US navy analyst Derek Bernsen argues.

“In the run-up to and during a conflict, we would expect Chinese forces to ramp up these efforts, especially against nations hosting US forces,” the West Point think-tank warns. “China could promote narratives about US military abuses of a local population, some exaggerated and some imagined, to turn the population against its government’s support to the United States.”

Beijing is trying to grind down its neighbours.
Relentless pressure is employed on its borders with India, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and Vietnam.

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

The countries that really matter for this purpose are Vietnam, Indonesia, and above all -- South Korea. A country that might matter even more is India. But I hear that the Biden Administration's decision to hoard vaccine materials has not been well received in India.

Japan, South Korea, and Australia -- with some British and US support -- can almost bottle in China militarily by themselves. But lose South Korea and you neutralize Japan, which means that the northeastern flank for China becomes secure. Just like having India in the Quad would open up a new southern front. Indonesia has aspirations of being a balancer between China and the US and has nearly as many people as America. Vietnam has beaten the French, the Chinese, and us in major wars over the past 70 years and they're not afraid of anyone.

I don't think the populations of these countries would be easily manipulated by Chinese propaganda. They know China and they've seen what happened to Hong Kong. They might attempt to leverage China for their own benefit but they won't give in easily...as long as we provide them a viable option. Whether or not we can do this is still up in the air.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

New submarine threat: Top U.S. general says China pursuing Atlantic naval base
'They're looking for a place where they can rearm and repair warships. That becomes militarily useful in conflict.'
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... at-from-a/

China is moving behind-the-scenes toward establishing a major naval port on the west coast of Africa that would host Chinese submarines and aircraft carriers capable of projecting Beijing‘s military power directly into the Atlantic, a top U.S. military official warned on Thursday.


The comments caused a stir among China watchers in Washington, some of whom said the American public should awaken to a reality the Pentagon has been quietly warning about for the past several years: Authoritarian communist government-run China is emerging as a global military power.


China plans to revive strategic Pacific airstrip, Kiribati lawmaker says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN2CM0IZ
SYDNEY (Reuters) -China has drawn up plans to upgrade an airstrip and bridge on one of Kiribati’s remote islands about 3,000km southwest of Hawaii, lawmakers told Reuters, in a bid to revive a site that hosted military aircraft during World War Two.

Any significant build-up on Kanton, located 3,000 kilometres (1,864 miles) southwest of Hawaii and U.S. military bases there, would offer a foothold to China deep into territory that had been firmly aligned to the U.S. and its allies since World War Two.

“The island would be a fixed aircraft carrier,” said one adviser to Pacific governments, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the project.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8102
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am
New submarine threat: Top U.S. general says China pursuing Atlantic naval base
'They're looking for a place where they can rearm and repair warships. That becomes militarily useful in conflict.'
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... at-from-a/

China is moving behind-the-scenes toward establishing a major naval port on the west coast of Africa that would host Chinese submarines and aircraft carriers capable of projecting Beijing‘s military power directly into the Atlantic, a top U.S. military official warned on Thursday.


The comments caused a stir among China watchers in Washington, some of whom said the American public should awaken to a reality the Pentagon has been quietly warning about for the past several years: Authoritarian communist government-run China is emerging as a global military power.


China plans to revive strategic Pacific airstrip, Kiribati lawmaker says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN2CM0IZ
SYDNEY (Reuters) -China has drawn up plans to upgrade an airstrip and bridge on one of Kiribati’s remote islands about 3,000km southwest of Hawaii, lawmakers told Reuters, in a bid to revive a site that hosted military aircraft during World War Two.

Any significant build-up on Kanton, located 3,000 kilometres (1,864 miles) southwest of Hawaii and U.S. military bases there, would offer a foothold to China deep into territory that had been firmly aligned to the U.S. and its allies since World War Two.

“The island would be a fixed aircraft carrier,” said one adviser to Pacific governments, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the project.
Should we be worried about China or not?
Let's Go Brandon! .
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15011
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Indy »

of course we should

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8102
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:56 pm
of course we should
I just remember this post, and it seems either inconsistent or coming around to understanding the danger.
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 pm
At this point in time all Republican political arguments end with China.
Add this to the list:

Defense contractor Honeywell fined $13M for sharing documents with China, other countries
Ellen Mitchell 1 day ago
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1gqBd0

Honeywell has agreed to pay the State Department $13 million after it transferred to other countries - including China - unauthorized technical data on the F-35 and F-22 fighter jets, among other weapon systems.

The defense contractor will pay $8 million in civilian penalties and $5 million on its own "remedial compliance measures" after "unauthorized exports and retransfers" of technical data to Canada, Ireland, Mexico, China and Taiwan, the State Department announced Monday.

The violations included sharing "engineering prints showing dimensions, geometries, and layouts for manufacturing castings and finished parts for multiple aircraft, gas turbine engines, and military electronics," according to the statement.

Spoiler: show/hide
Let's Go Brandon! .
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5419
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am
New submarine threat: Top U.S. general says China pursuing Atlantic naval base
'They're looking for a place where they can rearm and repair warships. That becomes militarily useful in conflict.'
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... at-from-a/

China is moving behind-the-scenes toward establishing a major naval port on the west coast of Africa that would host Chinese submarines and aircraft carriers capable of projecting Beijing‘s military power directly into the Atlantic, a top U.S. military official warned on Thursday.


The comments caused a stir among China watchers in Washington, some of whom said the American public should awaken to a reality the Pentagon has been quietly warning about for the past several years: Authoritarian communist government-run China is emerging as a global military power.


China plans to revive strategic Pacific airstrip, Kiribati lawmaker says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN2CM0IZ
SYDNEY (Reuters) -China has drawn up plans to upgrade an airstrip and bridge on one of Kiribati’s remote islands about 3,000km southwest of Hawaii, lawmakers told Reuters, in a bid to revive a site that hosted military aircraft during World War Two.

Any significant build-up on Kanton, located 3,000 kilometres (1,864 miles) southwest of Hawaii and U.S. military bases there, would offer a foothold to China deep into territory that had been firmly aligned to the U.S. and its allies since World War Two.

“The island would be a fixed aircraft carrier,” said one adviser to Pacific governments, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the project.
Should we be worried about China or not?
I consider China a rival sort of like the Lakers to the Suns. I don’t consider them an evil nemesis that needs vanquishing. I don’t think Democrats are all secretly working with China with the goal of destroying America as Republicans claim daily. China is kicking ass and getting more and more powerful. Their influence around the world is growing as well. Their military has grown right along with them. Their economy is growing in part I believe because America is buying all their stuff. I believe China is taking over as worlds most powerful country from the US and they aren’t shy about it. That’s not evil, it’s just facts.

It’s a contest between two different political systems that has been raging for many decades. Communism/Socialism versus Democracy and in China’s case they are kicking our ass. When they want to get something done they just do it. When we want to get something done we fight about it and do nothing. Solar, wind and hydro power? China is all in. Half the US thinks Solar, hydro and wind power is just stupid and want no part of it because the leaders of their party told them it’s a stupid waste of time.

I think the US is in a major decline and we have no one to blame but ourselves, not China. China will continue to overtake us and become the worlds dominant power while we flail about like a fish out of water because we are just dumb assess.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8102
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am
New submarine threat: Top U.S. general says China pursuing Atlantic naval base
'They're looking for a place where they can rearm and repair warships. That becomes militarily useful in conflict.'
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... at-from-a/

China is moving behind-the-scenes toward establishing a major naval port on the west coast of Africa that would host Chinese submarines and aircraft carriers capable of projecting Beijing‘s military power directly into the Atlantic, a top U.S. military official warned on Thursday.


The comments caused a stir among China watchers in Washington, some of whom said the American public should awaken to a reality the Pentagon has been quietly warning about for the past several years: Authoritarian communist government-run China is emerging as a global military power.


China plans to revive strategic Pacific airstrip, Kiribati lawmaker says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN2CM0IZ
SYDNEY (Reuters) -China has drawn up plans to upgrade an airstrip and bridge on one of Kiribati’s remote islands about 3,000km southwest of Hawaii, lawmakers told Reuters, in a bid to revive a site that hosted military aircraft during World War Two.

Any significant build-up on Kanton, located 3,000 kilometres (1,864 miles) southwest of Hawaii and U.S. military bases there, would offer a foothold to China deep into territory that had been firmly aligned to the U.S. and its allies since World War Two.

“The island would be a fixed aircraft carrier,” said one adviser to Pacific governments, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the project.
Should we be worried about China or not?
I consider China a rival sort of like the Lakers to the Suns. I don’t consider them an evil nemesis that needs vanquishing. I don’t think Democrats are all secretly working with China with the goal of destroying America as Republicans claim daily. China is kicking ass and getting more and more powerful. Their influence around the world is growing as well. Their military has grown right along with them. Their economy is growing in part I believe because America is buying all their stuff. I believe China is taking over as worlds most powerful country from the US and they aren’t shy about it. That’s not evil, it’s just facts.

It’s a contest between two different political systems that has been raging for many decades. Communism/Socialism versus Democracy and in China’s case they are kicking our ass. When they want to get something done they just do it. When we want to get something done we fight about it and do nothing. Solar, wind and hydro power? China is all in. Half the US thinks Solar, hydro and wind power is just stupid and want no part of it because the leaders of their party told them it’s a stupid waste of time.

I think the US is in a major decline and we have no one to blame but ourselves, not China. China will continue to overtake us and become the worlds dominant power while we flail about like a fish out of water because we are just dumb assess.
China is a rival like the Lakers? You think this is a game? It isn't just the Dems that are working with China. Almost all of NDs high level Reps like the Governor and AG are sold out to China. AZ & GA too. I agree that we've done it to ourselves. We've sent over all of our manufacturing to China to bend ourselves over, so that greedy politicians can get rich. The Chinese people and China itself isn't evil, but the CCP is.

As far as solar, wind and hydro, they are the main manufacturers of it, but why aren't they lowering their own emissions? We know that fossil fuels are needed to make the solar panels and wind turbines. Yet, we are beholden to a ponzi scheme to enrich the pocketbooks of the likes of Gore, Clintons, Bush, Obama, and others.

China now emits more than rest of developed world combined: Chart
by Josh Siegel, Energy and Environment Reporter | | May 06, 2021 10:57 AM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... d-combined

China’s emissions of greenhouse gases have more than tripled over the last three decades and now, for the first time, exceed those of all developed countries combined, according to new research released Thursday.

China contributed 27% of global emissions in 2019, far exceeding the United States, the second-highest emitter at 11%, followed by India (6.6%), and the European Union (6.4%), the Rhodium Group found.

In 2019, China’s emissions reached 14,093 million metric tons of carbon equivalent, a more than tripling of 1990 levels, and a 25% increase over the past decade.

Image

That level of emissions is greater than the amount combined from all members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, as well as 27 EU member states, which emitted 14,057 million metric tons of carbon equivalent in 2019.

China’s emissions were less than one-quarter of developed country emissions in 1990. But now, whether the country takes action this decade to reduce emissions, chiefly by getting off coal, is crucial to whether the world meets international climate goals.

Despite China’s huge emissions growth, the U.S., which industrialized before China, has contributed the most cumulative emissions of any country.



China Emits More Carbon In 16 Days Than Australia Does In One Year
Written by Cian Hussey
24 February 2021
https://ipa.org.au/ipa-today/china-emit ... n-one-year

Every 16 days China emits more carbon than Australia does in an entire year, according to new research released today by free market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs. This means the annual effect on global emissions from Australia mandating a net zero emissions target would be cancelled out by China in just over two weeks.

“The complete de-industrialisation of Australia would have no discernible impact on global emissions but would inflict significant and irreparable economic and social damage,” said Cian Hussey, Research Fellow at the IPA.


Image

China is responsible for 63.3% of the increase in global carbon emissions since 2004, while Australia is responsible for just 0.35% of the increase.

In absolute terms, China’s annual emissions have increased by over 5 billion tonnes since 2004, while Australia’s annual emissions have increased by only 27.4 million tonnes.

“It is reckless and futile for the political class to impose on Australians further severe cuts to emissions which costs jobs and livelihoods, while China – the world’s largest emitter– continues to rapidly increase its emissions without consequence,” said Mr Hussey.

“Calls for Australia to adopt a net zero emissions target ignore the significant economic, social, and humanitarian costs which would inevitably be the result of such a target,” said Mr Hussey.


Image

Spoiler: show/hide
Let's Go Brandon! .
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15011
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Indy »

please do some research on your sources before posting. it is like reading conspiracy theory blogs in here.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8102
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by In2ition »

Let's Go Brandon! .
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15011
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by Indy »

I am not talking about the data. I am not disputing that China emits ~25-28% of the green house gas emissions in a year. They have ~20% of the world's population. The US emits about 10-12%, and only has 4% of the population.

I am talking about the statements in your commentary that you think are facts but are not. Goes for some of the commentary from the Washington Examiner article, and the IPA too.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8102
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by In2ition »

Bud, I know what you're saying, and I'll consider your suggestions. In the meantime, consider the data, debunk it if you must and if it deserves it. Otherwise, refrain yourself from feeling the need for editorial control.
Let's Go Brandon! .
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: NBA/China/Hong Kong Controversy

Post by virtual9mm »

In2, it is shallow thinking like yours that dug us a deep, deep hole during the Trump years. And the decision of the Obama folks about hiding the true nature of TPP (to contain China) from the American people, too. Now, we can never get it back in its initial form.

Post Reply