Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am
I like having more conservatives in the politics folder bit, I understand them shying away.

Same. Thanks for posting BL

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like Congress continues to be unable to pass an economic stimulus bill today. They can't reach agreement on some provisions of the bill. Depending on which team you are rooting for, the problem is either that Republicans are writing too much of a blank check to corporations, or that Dems are using the bill to force parts of their liberal agenda through. Or maybe both. Anyway they haven't been able to find a version of the bill that can pass. I hope they figure something out soon; people need help.

Indy

Post by Indy »

right now it looks like 500 billion are being put aside in the McConnell plan for whatever they want

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

How long do you all guess we'll be remote, for those that are now working remotely? I'd guess at least 2 months, likely more. Our savior and genius POTUS seems to think we'll be business as usual and no longer social distancing in 15 days. Talk about someone with blatant disregard for the facts. He is a danger to our country, plain and simple.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/politics ... index.html
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just ignore everything he says and listen to the experts. He will probably end up firing a few of them for not being loyal enough of course. He’s been butting heads with Dr. Anthony Fauci. I expect him to be fired any day.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arizona man dies after taking chloroquine for coronavirus
https://news.trust.org/item/20200323225613-cmq3v
March 23 (Reuters) - An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after they ingested chloroquine phosphate - an aquarium cleaning product similar to drugs that have been named by President Trump as potential treatments for coronavirus infection.

pickle

Post by pickle »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:13 pm
How long do you all guess we'll be remote, for those that are now working remotely? I'd guess at least 2 months, likely more. Our savior and genius POTUS seems to think we'll be business as usual and no longer social distancing in 15 days. Talk about someone with blatant disregard for the facts. He is a danger to our country, plain and simple.

Here in China, we worked remotely for about 3 weeks, then started showing up back in the office, but we have strict measures to check everyone's temperature at the door, and everyone wears a mask in the office. We've been doing this for the past 6 weeks, and the government has checked our working space three times to ask for a lower occupancy rate, so we now come into the office 3 days a week and work from home for the rest.

If the US protocol is to avoid masks, I suspect this will take longer. I personally suspect that the majority of the growth in new cases these days is due to availability of testing, only when there's a good handle on that can we start tallying growth of new infections, and only when that number starts to go down rather significantly can we start relaxing the social distancing rules. I'm not sure how long that might be, but 2 months sounds about right.

The US being a service oriented economy, stay-at-home policies will hit the country hard... This is not going to be pretty.

pickle

Post by pickle »

BigLewy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:55 pm
I've never posted in this folder before because I've been hesitant to do so as a conservative (I did not vote for Trump, lest I get painted as a racist or who knows what else), but this situation is getting wild to me. I'm lucky where my job isn't really impacted and I can work from home without any real "disruption". I'm on the east coast in CT, about 15 minutes from the NY state border, and a 2 hour train ride into NYC, and people really just need to stay home and sit tight. I'm in my late 30s and healthy, so I guess not a huge risk, but my in-laws and my father are all 65+ with health issues and it terrifies me. I have colleagues in my company all across the globe, and one in Spain was telling me how she basically cannot leave her house except for the essentials. I went to the grocery store the other day and it was madness. People were buying ungodly amounts of paper goods and bottled water and like 10 packets of chicken. I was supposed to go to Antigua in 3 weeks, but that's obviously not happening. I feel really bad for the local restaurants, bars, etc. A ton of local businesses near me won't survive this, and I've ordered takeout and given a tip as if I was dining in the actual restaurant, but if the rumblings are true and this will last into the summer, it's going to be devastating. I'm probably just rambling by now, but CT is enacting a stay in place edict tomorrow so I'm getting a little stir crazy.
BL, thanks for sharing. As someone who has lived through a version of this stay at home thing, I can only say, it'll pass, and it'll get better. I have a 3 year old at home and both me and my wife work. We can't get outside help and the nursery obviously closed indefinitely, and we've had to make do. But once we settle into a routine, the added family time (I'm working from home half the week as mentioned in my previous post) has been a blessing, if we are looking for silver linings here. Obviously I've also been lucky because I don't lose income due to the general economic slowdown. On a whole, we can pull through. Stay sane, stay rational, and ask your parents and in laws to take this pandemic seriously and don't consider themselves invincible, and they'll be okay.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:13 pm

My company announced a work from home policy 13 days ago and said it would be through the end of June. Part of that was an abundance of caution, but another part was they didn't want to have to keep announcing extensions every few weeks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I want to be optimistic and say that we'll only be at home fully for a few weeks. But our federal government is so completely incompetent, and people don't seem to be doing their part to truly socially isolate, wear masks, wash up, etc., so I worry that we aren't really going to halt the spread of the virus in 2-3 weeks as some other countries have done. I think we're going to have a two-hump graph, where we hit a kind of a peak in a week or two, then we see it slightly decline and way prematurely relax our isolation behaviors, then it spikes again because we were dumb and got everybody back together in the same crowded spaces again.

Is there any argument against the claim that Trump is doing an absolutely horrible job handling this situation? I almost cannot think of how a leader could do a worse job dealing with this crisis.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It is pretty sad that this is a world wide emergency and we cannot believe anything our President says.

An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after they ingested chloroquine phosphate - an aquarium cleaning product similar to drugs that have been named by President Trump as potential treatments for coronavirus infection.

This guy is dead because he believed Trump.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... -test-kits
The Trump administration will formally trigger the Defense Production Act (DPA) Tuesday to secure coronavirus testing kits, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency said.

Way to jump on this early... Maybe in a month or two they will think about ventilators and masks. You don’t want to rush into these things...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

States are reportedly trying to stop doctors from 'hoarding' potential coronavirus treatment drugs
https://theweek.com/speedreads/904446/s ... ment-drugs
The New York Times reports that states like Idaho, Kentucky, Ohio, Nevada, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Texas are so worried that doctors are stockpiling potential novel coronavirus treatment drugs for themselves that they're issuing emergency restrictions, or at least guidelines, for pharmacists.

"This is a real issue and it is not some product of a few isolated bad apples," said Jay Campbell, the executive director of the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy.

Many of the drugs have yet to be proven effective against COVID-19, but they are approved to treat malaria, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, H.I.V, and other conditions, so states are concerned there could be a shortage for patients who need their prescriptions to be filled while dealing with those illnesses.

Idaho was the earliest state to jump on the problem, issuing a temporary rule banning pharmacies from dispensing chloroquine an hydrochloroquine unless the prescription includes a written diagnosis of a condition the drugs are proven to treat, which currently does not include COVID-19. Others have followed suit. Companies like CVS and Walgreens have said their pharmacists will comply with state rules and, in CVS' case, otherwise use "professional judgment" to determine a prescription's validity. Read more at The New York Times. Tim O'Donnell

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 am
It is pretty sad that this is a world wide emergency and we cannot believe anything our President says.

An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after they ingested chloroquine phosphate - an aquarium cleaning product similar to drugs that have been named by President Trump as potential treatments for coronavirus infection.

This guy is dead because he believed Trump.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... -test-kits
The Trump administration will formally trigger the Defense Production Act (DPA) Tuesday to secure coronavirus testing kits, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency said.

Way to jump on this early... Maybe in a month or two they will think about ventilators and masks. You don’t want to rush into these things...
This is an example of the media being misleading. There are two forms of chloroquine, one used to treat malaria and the one this person consumed, which is to clean fish tanks. The fish tank version has a huge warning that it isn't for human consumption. The Hill already deleted the tweet about this story, but the damage is done. The headline said "man dies after taking malaria medication touted by Trump as possible cure for coronavirus." Not at all what actually happened, no wonder most people on either side don't trust the media these days.

The guy is dead because he was an idiot and took a product aimed to kill fish bacteria and should do more research before blindly taking things.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am
Is there any argument against the claim that Trump is doing an absolutely horrible job handling this situation? I almost cannot think of how a leader could do a worse job dealing with this crisis.
Yes. Trump himself said he's handling it excellently and gave himself a 10 out of 10.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BigLewy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am
The guy is dead because he was an idiot and took a product aimed to kill fish bacteria and should do more research before blindly taking things.
Like I've been saying. A lot of Darwinism going on.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The headline said "man dies after taking malaria medication touted by Trump as possible cure for coronavirus."

The headline said - “Arizona man dies after taking chloroquine for coronavirus”
Last edited by Nodack on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:33 am
The headline said "man dies after taking malaria medication touted by Trump as possible cure for coronavirus."

The headline said - ‘Arizona man dies after taking chloroquine for coronavirus’
I must have been looking at a different/revised tweet, which was the basis for my initial reply. Still not a fan of that headline though, it implies that chloroquine as a whole is the cause, and it may be splitting hairs, but that's not the case, at least in my opinion.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Doctors Are Hoarding Unproven Coronavirus Medicine by Writing Prescriptions for Themselves and Their Families
Pharmacists told ProPublica that they are seeing unusual and fraudulent prescribing activity as doctors stockpile unproven coronavirus drugs endorsed by President Donald Trump.
https://www.propublica.org/article/doct ... r-families

States try to stop hoarding of possible coronavirus treatments
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/s ... index.html

Idaho, Nevada, Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma and West Virginia have all taken measures to make sure doctors aren't unnecessarily prescribing chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine

Katherine Rowland, a pharmacist in Oregon, wrote Sunday that a dentist tried to call in prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine "for himself, his wife & another couple (friends.). NOPE. I have patients with lupus that have been on HCQ for YEARS and now can't get it because it's on backorder."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump, during Fox News coronavirus townhall, calls for re-opening economy by Easter: ‘We have to get back to work’
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... ck-to-work

Less than 3 weeks from now? The spread of the virus is getting worse every day, not getting better. I would bet my house, car and what’s left of my savings that that is not going to happen and I would bet every medical expert on planet earth would agree with me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It'll happen and he'll say it's great, everything's going great, things are back to normal and people are going back to work and we made it thru the pandemic with the lowest numbers of any country and everything was overblown by the media and he handled everything great and our numbers are better than ever.

Whether or not state/local officials do in fact open things back up and people go back to work is another story.

And from what I've seen on social, Dr. Fauci isn't at his press conferences anymore? If true, that tells you exactly where we're headed.