Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

yes but there are three others that are up in the air that are GOP seats now (AZ, MT, MA). So they really need to get 6 of 11. Closer to 50/50. ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Who got special deals in the stimulus and why they got them
In the $2 trillion package, senators took care of their home state industries and pet projects.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... als-151108

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Environmental Protection Agency says it won't enforce its own rules during the coronavirus pandemic
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... les-2020-3

EDC

Post by EDC »

Some of you fear the GOP will never give up power now that they have it? Did they just forget to enforce that power when they lost the House? They were so busy twirling their mustaches and laughing evilly that they just forgot?

The echo chamber has you guys ramping up a bit much. Might want to truly play devil's advocate once or twice to stop yourselves from spiraling into something that looks like r/politics. :)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

EDC wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:58 pm
Some of you fear the GOP will never give up power now that they have it? Did they just forget to enforce that power when they lost the House? They were so busy twirling their mustaches and laughing evilly that they just forgot?

The echo chamber has you guys ramping up a bit much. Might want to truly play devil's advocate once or twice to stop yourselves from spiraling into something that looks like r/politics. :)
Many are fearful Trump will try to figure a way to stay in power even after eight years somehow because they don’t trust him or the GOP. Both party’s crave power and want to stay in power. That is a given isn’t it? Yes, I consider the GOP the evil party. They don’t hide it IMO.

A year before the end of Obama’s term - "I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president," McConnell said.
"The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let's give them a voice. Let's let the American people decide.

A year before the end of Trumps term - Asked during an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt if Republicans would support filing a vacancy on the Supreme Court in 2019 or 2020, McConnell said "absolutely."

Stuff like this screams out evil.

The President asked a foreign government to investigate his political rival.
The President withheld vital military funds from that government to press it to do so.
The President delayed funds for an American ally at war with Russian invaders.
The President's purpose was personal and political.
Accordingly, the President is guilty of an appalling abuse of the public trust.
What he did was not "perfect"— No, it was a flagrant assault on our electoral rights, our national security interests, and our fundamental values. Corrupting an election to keep oneself in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one's oath of office that I can imagine. - Romney

What Trump did was evil. What Republicans did defending him was evil. Romney knows it and his conscience got the best of him.

Giving out a massive tax cut for the 1% and then lobbying to cut food stamps right after that is nothing short of evil IMO.

Trump repeatedly lying, throwing other people under the bus and never ever taking any responsibility for anything is nothing short of evil.

This is spiraling into politics because this is the politics folder where we talk about politics.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

EDC wrote:
Did they just forget to enforce that power when they lost the House?
I'd say they enforced their power to the maximum level during the impeachment "trial".
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

EDC wrote:

That's a pretty broad brush you've popped out of the woodwork from and painted us all with - constructive participation from you might be more useful? And come across a little less arrogant..

If you told me there is a 0% chance Trump hasn't at least thought about how a permanent arrangement might occur, I'd really question your judgement.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A great article pondering what it will be like post Covid-19

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/489 ... ndemic-age

The economic and social impact of COVID-19 has been the fastest and largest single shift in our lifetimes. Many will lose jobs, incomes, homes, savings and retirement incomes, overnight. America may go from the lowest unemployment rate in our lifetime to the highest, within weeks.

First and foremost, many businesses will die and tens of thousands of manufacturing, retail and service jobs will not return. Many companies were on shaky financial foundations and will be shuttered forever. Many of those businesses are being replaced during the shutdown. Amazon alone is adding at least 100,000 to its workforce; the pandemic has made the shift to online retail permanent and decisive. Medical and legal professionals, bankers and nearly every other service sector have learned to work from home, suggesting a permanent, low-overhead model for many. Distance learning will grow and there will be more focus on telemeetings, as the structure of work changes.

Some sectors may have changed forever. In health care, a tremendously far-reaching pandemic response policy now allows doctors to practice across state borders. Doctors had been licensed state-by-state, but that impeded the smooth flow and reallocation of medical resources across the country. The new policy instantly creates a national, rather than regional, medical system and ushers in nationwide telemedicine and nationwide health delivery systems, making available the best medical advice to everyone in the country, instantly. It brings potential for vastly better allocation of capital and improved diagnostic and treatment services, nationwide. That’s a huge step toward better health care delivery and lower prices.

Telemedicine, distance learning, emergency response, telecommuting, even tele-socializing will all expand after this crisis.

China’s decision to expel U.S. journalists, and the unfortunate threat from the Chinese foreign ministry to withhold lifesaving antibiotics from the U.S. has created a predictable, bipartisan, nationalistic reaction in Washington that may lead to policies aimed at creating more secure, probably domestic, supply sources for critical pharmaceuticals, rare earth metals, 5G technology, or any other sensitive technology.

From a survival perspective, it’s worth observing that COVID-19 laid bare the devastating impact that a planned bioterror attack might have, and the relative ease with which such an attack could be launched. The objective of successful modern military attacks is not simply body count nor destruction of military capability — it is decisive economic, political and social disruption. If this had been an attack, it would have been the quickest and one of the most devastating military attacks in history.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“We’re talking about a much smaller range” of deaths than from the flu, he said on March 2. “It’s very mild,” he told Hannity on March 4. On March 7, he said, “I’m not concerned at all.” On March 10, he promised: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

Flu .1%
Covid-19 3.4%

34Xs more deadly doesn’t equal “a much smaller range of deaths than from the flu.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I did a little timeline

Jan 22 - Are there worries about a pandemic at this point?”
The president responded: “No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Jan 28 - “They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

Jan 30 - “We have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.”

Jan 31- “Coronavirus,” Hannity said. “How concerned are you?”
Trump replied: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China.

On Feb. 5, the C.D.C. began shipping coronavirus test kits to laboratories around the country. But the tests suffered from a technical flaw and didn’t produce reliable results, labs discovered. The Trump administration could have begun to use a functioning test from the World Health Organization, but didn’t. It could have removed regulations that prevented private hospitals and labs from quickly developing their own tests, but didn’t. The inaction meant that the United States fell behind South Korea, Singapore and China in fighting the virus. “We just twiddled our thumbs as the coronavirus waltzed in,” William Hanage, a Harvard epidemiologist, wrote.

Feb 19 - “I think the numbers are going to get progressively better as we go along.”

Feb 22 - “We have it very much under control,” and added: “We had 12, at one point. And now they’ve gotten very much better. Many of them are fully recovered.”

On Feb. 23, the World Health Organization announced that the virus was in 30 countries, with 78,811 confirmed cases, a more than fivefold increase over the previous three weeks.

End of Feb - He criticized CNN and MSNBC for “panicking markets.” He said at a South Carolina rally — falsely — that “the Democrat policy of open borders” had brought the virus into the country. He lashed out at “Do Nothing Democrat comrades.” He tweeted about “Cryin’ Chuck Schumer,” mocking Schumer for arguing that Trump should be more aggressive in fighting the virus. The next week, Trump would blame an Obama administration regulation for slowing the production of test kits.

On Feb. 26, he said: “We’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down, not up.” On Feb. 27, he predicted: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” On Feb. 29, he said a vaccine would be available “very quickly” and “very rapidly” and praised his administration’s actions as “the most aggressive taken by any country.” None of these claims were true.

By the end of February, there were 85,403 confirmed cases, in 55 countries around the world.

Trump suggested on multiple occasions that the virus was less serious than the flu. “We’re talking about a much smaller range” of deaths than from the flu, he said on March 2. “It’s very mild,” he told Hannity on March 4. On March 7, he said, “I’m not concerned at all.” On March 10, he promised: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

The first part of March was also when more people began to understand that the United States had fallen behind on testing, and Trump administration officials responded with untruths.
Alex Azar, the secretary of health and human services, told ABC, “There is no testing kit shortage, nor has there ever been.” Trump, while touring the C.D.C. on March 6, said, “Anybody that wants a test can get a test.”

That C.D.C. tour was a microcosm of Trump’s entire approach to the crisis. While speaking on camera, he made statements that were outright wrong, like the testing claim. He brought up issues that had nothing to do with the virus, like his impeachment. He made clear that he cared more about his image than about people’s well-being, by explaining that he favored leaving infected passengers on a cruise ship so they wouldn’t increase the official number of American cases. He also suggested that he knew as much as any scientist:

“I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

On March 10, the World Health Organization reported 113,702 cases of the virus in more than 100 countries.

On the night of March 11, Trump gave an Oval Office address meant to convey seriousness. It included some valuable advice, like the importance of hand-washing. But it also continued many of the old patterns of self-congratulation, blame-shifting and misinformation. Afterward, Trump aides corrected three different misstatements.
This pattern has continued in the days since the Oval Office address. Trump now seems to understand that coronavirus isn’t going away anytime soon. But he also seems to view it mostly as a public-relations emergency for himself rather than a public-health emergency for the country. On Sunday, he used his Twitter feed to lash out at Schumer and Joe Biden and to praise Michael Flynn, the former Trump aide who pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I.

March 24 - “We’re opening up this incredible country. Because we have to do that. I would love to have it open by Easter,” Trump said. “Wouldn’t it be great to have all the churches full?” Trump asked. “You’ll have packed churches all over our country … I think it’ll be a beautiful time.”

March 26 - The United States reported the most coronavirus cases in the world for the first time, over China and Italy with at least 82,404 infections and more than 1,000 deaths.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How are you doing Nodack? Are you going to be able to withstand this lack of gigs for a while? My youngest son was supposed to start his first real job out of college last Monday but it has been put on hold indefinitely. He had to apply for unemployment in the meantime.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am
How are you doing Nodack? Are you going to be able to withstand this lack of gigs for a while? My youngest son was supposed to start his first real job out of college last Monday but it has been put on hold indefinitely. He had to apply for unemployment in the meantime.
Been teaching kids your son's age and I'm concerned that few will find meaningful employment.

'dack -- hope you're doing all right -- is your wife still in the travel industry?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm just glad our POTUS cares about the important things during these times.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Thanks guys. Yes, all my gigs cancelled as it did for all musicians, entertainers for the most part. We are doing ok. My wife works at the airlines and is working a double today. I am concerned with her working there for obvious reasons. We have been helping my parents sell and buy a new home and have been around them a lot taking care of that. We have been trying to avoid contact as much as possible and taking as many precautions as we can. They say it takes two weeks to show symptoms. Every time we have to go over there I wonder if I am going to kill my parents.

My main band has been keeping in touch through messaging like we always do. Apparently I qualify for the relief money through unemployment. I have never taken unemployment my entire life. I might this time. I don’t think musicians were ever allowed to take unemployment before. I never tried. The standard rule is If you can’t make enough gigging, get a real job. My first wife said I didn’t make enough just gigging, so I got a second job. Then she said I was never home enough. Sigh.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thanks guys. Yes, all my gigs cancelled as it did for all musicians, entertainers for the most part. We are doing ok. My wife works at the airlines and is working a double today. I am concerned with her working there for obvious reasons. We have been helping my parents sell and buy a new home and have been around them a lot taking care of that. We have been trying to avoid contact as much as possible and taking as many precautions as we can. They say it takes two weeks to show symptoms. Every time we have to go over there I wonder if I am going to kill my parents.

My main band has been keeping in touch through messaging like we always do. Apparently I qualify for the relief money through unemployment. I have never taken unemployment my entire life. I might this time. I don’t think musicians were ever allowed to take unemployment before. I never tried. The standard rule is If you can’t make enough gigging, get a real job. My first wife said I didn’t make enough just gigging, so I got a second job. Then she said I was never home enough. Sigh.
LOL good call getting a second wife. Good luck and stay strong.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

215k cases in US as of today; 5110 total deaths. +27k cases today alone, and +1049 deaths. First day of over 1000 deaths in a single day. Total death count passes 9/11. Blood on Trump's hands.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The virus breaks out. People start panic buying groceries and masks and gloves. They announce that the public should not buy ANY masks to save them for medical professionals. Medical professionals like Saucy complain they aren’t getting enough supplies like masks and get mad at civilians buying masks. Now we hear we have lots of masks and they are selling them to foreign countries, 280 million of them on Monday alone? Today the Los Angeles mayor says nobody should go outside without a mask on.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... wear-masks

“Don’t buy any masks but, make sure you wear your masks.”

“The masks protect you”.

“Masks provide no protection”.

“We need more ventilators”.

“They don’t need that many ventilators”.

“Stay home and avoid people”.

“I see no reason people shouldn’t go to work”.