Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:44 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:31 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:42 pm
The theory I heard was that the virus was naturally occurring in bats and they were just studying it in a lab. A worker got infected unknowingly and took it outside the lab to the wet market where it started spreading.
And uh, who exactly is propounding this theory? Anyone who knows what they’re talking about?
Some friend posted a link on Facebook..I’ll see if I can find it

Edit: Not the article I saw, but references the theory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
Article basically says they’re looking into the possibility, as they would in the case of any outbreak, but the weight of evidence is against it.
Right, I didn’t mean to imply it was anything more than just a rumor.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:55 am
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:42 pm
The theory I heard was that the virus was naturally occurring in bats and they were just studying it in a lab. A worker got infected unknowingly and took it outside the lab to the wet market where it started spreading.
And uh, who exactly is propounding this theory? Anyone who knows what they’re talking about?

Article basically says they’re looking into the possibility, as they would in the case of any outbreak, but the weight of evidence is against it.
This is one way misinformation gets started. Officials say they always look into the possibility of lab origins, but while they haven’t yet been able to definitively rule it out, they haven’t found evidence for it. This becomes “The theory I heard is that it came from a lab,” which becomes “I heard somewhere that it came from a lab,” which becomes “It came from a lab,” and people are running with it as fact.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Damn, Oktoberfest has been canceled. Oktoberfest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rus-spread

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:55 am
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:

This is one way misinformation gets started. Officials say they always look into the possibility of lab origins, but while they haven’t yet been able to definitively rule it out, they haven’t found evidence for it. This becomes “The theory I heard is that it came from a lab,” which becomes “I heard somewhere that it came from a lab,” which becomes “It came from a lab,” and people are running with it as fact.
There was talk of a theory that China created the virus in a lab on here, I was responding to that and saying the theory I heard wasn’t that China created it but that they were studying a natural occurring virus.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So basically we really know nothing except that it came from China. Everything else is internet theories. To me it doesn’t matter. There is no evil villain we can catch to blame this all on. The evil villain is most likely mother nature as usual.

I am more interested in dealing with the crisis and getting back to normal as fast as possible if that is possible. One of the places I gig at pretty regularly said they won’t have any events larger than 40 people until next year. Most Americans aren’t going to be able to take a year off of work. Can the US government pay most of the country unemployment for a year?

I applied for unemployment for the first time in my life. So far I haven’t had any success. The internet application was confusing, especially for self employed . They wanted my employers information. I am self employed. I put myself down. Then they sent me a form asking if I fired or laid off myself. I wanted to call and talk to a real person but, they said due to the virus and the overwhelming response they have stopped accepting calls. I filled out everything and sent back the forms they sent and haven’t heard back in a week or so. Perfect.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Donald Trump announces complete halt of all immigration into the USA. Wow. (May include exemptions for some categories, such as farm workers.)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/2 ... rus-197755

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Another Stephen Miller special I'm sure. Taking full advantage of a disaster.

Cap

Post by Cap »

pickle

Post by pickle »

I am disappointed in what the media has become... not to point fingers per se, but the Twitter age has devastated the average person's ability to focus on long discourse (myself included) and news articles are shunning responsible investigative journalism for sensationalist headlines. Most of the news-consuming public with their twitchy fingers don't bother to slow down and think, or to verify, before passing them on so they can appear to be in the know. The "fake news" stuff that Trump spews is perhaps the most dangerous legacy he leaves behind, imho. On the China side, things are no better. Chinese netizens are probably worse in the conspiracy theory regard. In the early days of this pandemic, plenty of people posted theories that this was some sort of biological weapon engineered by the West to devastate China, and scientists actually had to actively dispel this as rumor...

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about you, T... Just disappointed in the state of the world and venting without a specific target. Other than Trump. Trump is always a target.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

This is a really good dissection of how fucked up the path Trump and the weirdo-right are leading America down, with Corona Virus as the subject matter in this instance:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Here in the US we blame China for the virus. In China they blame the US.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1186556.shtml
The alleged scientist, Shi Yi, claimed that American officials had “not given any public response” on the issue of a Chinese Communist Party conspiracy theory that a U.S. Army laboratory in Maryland was the origin of the virus.

The remarks came amid circulating reports alleging that the Fort Detrick laboratory, which handles high-level disease-causing materials such as Ebola, in Fredrick, Maryland, may be the origin of the deadly novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 2.6 million Americans with nearly 20,000 deaths as of 4:30 pm Thursday.

The lab was ordered to shut down in July 2019, reportedly for multiple causes, including failure to follow local procedures and a lack of periodic recertification training for workers in the biocontainment laboratories.

Some other posts on social media platforms also alleged that a US armed diplomatic driver and cyclist who was in Wuhan in October 2019 for the cycling competition in the Military World Games, could be patient zero for COVID-19 in Wuhan.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just a typical misinformation campaign IMO.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Most likely. The blame game continues.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been trying to get unemployment in AZ. So far it has been a complete bust. If you call they tell you “Due to the high number of phone calls, calls are no longer being accepted at this time” forcing you to rely on their web site. Their web site kept crashing but, I finally sort of finished. I checked the self employed check and they asked for my employers info. I put my own name in and they sent me a form asking me if I fired, laid off or other Nodack. I put other and wrote a detailed explanation. I never heard back. They say you have to keep putting your weekly unemployment claim in every week even if your application is pending. I made a 4 digit pin number to access the site earlier but, making a weekly claim it asked for my longer password that I never made yet. There is no “forgot password” link so that was a dead end. I tried calling again. “Due to the high number of calls.... If you don’t make a claim for that week you give up your right to any money for that week. I haven’t worked in a month and they will never pay me for those days because I didn’t submit a claim that I can’t submit. I gave up and let my wife try. After an hour she gave up too.

Oh well.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m not the only one.

One Man's Maddening Trip Through Arizona's Byzantine Unemployment System
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... t-11463128

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That sucks, man! Here in California, I don't think my son has received his money yet but has been told it's coming. He already was able to buy groceries with the debit card equivalent of food stamps.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sad to see that the most recent test data doesn't look good for remdesivir, a second candidate COVID-19 treatment drug. It looked promising in some initial attempts but may not ultimately be effective in fighting the disease.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... successful

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am
I’m not the only one.

What a cluster fuck this all is.

I'm reading this thread and a lot of the same elsewhere in other states you are experiencing.

Top comment:

Periodicowner123
830 points

9 hours ago
So many of those unemployed right now can't even apply for unemployment benefits because their states unemployment programs keep failing with websites crashing and nobody answering phone calls.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Perfect...

Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder was tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2243CE
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - On January 21, the day the first U.S. case of coronavirus was reported, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services appeared on Fox News to report the latest on the disease as it ravaged China. Alex Azar, a 52-year-old lawyer and former drug industry executive, assured Americans the U.S. government was prepared.

Azar tapped a trusted aide with minimal public health experience to lead the agency’s day-to-day response to COVID-19. The aide, Brian Harrison, had joined the department after running a dog-breeding business for six years. Five sources say some officials in the White House derisively called him “the dog breeder.”

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am
I’m not the only one.

Sorry to hear that, and man it makes me angry.

Don't take this the wrong way as I love the USA, it's people and what it used to stand for, but it is a shit show right now.

You guys are getting screwed royally and if Trump wins in 2020 we're all screwed.