Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
pickle

Re: Coronavirus

Post by pickle »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 am
Here in the US we blame China for the virus. In China they blame the US.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1186556.shtml
The alleged scientist, Shi Yi, claimed that American officials had “not given any public response” on the issue of a Chinese Communist Party conspiracy theory that a U.S. Army laboratory in Maryland was the origin of the virus.

The remarks came amid circulating reports alleging that the Fort Detrick laboratory, which handles high-level disease-causing materials such as Ebola, in Fredrick, Maryland, may be the origin of the deadly novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 2.6 million Americans with nearly 20,000 deaths as of 4:30 pm Thursday.

The lab was ordered to shut down in July 2019, reportedly for multiple causes, including failure to follow local procedures and a lack of periodic recertification training for workers in the biocontainment laboratories.

Some other posts on social media platforms also alleged that a US armed diplomatic driver and cyclist who was in Wuhan in October 2019 for the cycling competition in the Military World Games, could be patient zero for COVID-19 in Wuhan.
I'm really sorry to hear about your unemployment situation 'dack.

And this post is also very pertinent. The average Chinese netizen lacks the ability to differentiate between rumor and news from reputable sources, thus my rant yesterday about the state of the media today. What I've seen over the years, which may explain some of the behavior we've seen over the last few months in both China and the US: both the Chinese and American people have a deep-rooted mistrust of the government. The difference being, when the government says we are at threat level 5 out of 10, Chinese people automatically think the real threat level is at 15 and the government is trying to pull a fast one, whereas Americans think threat level is at 1.5 and the government is just using this as an excuse to infringe upon our civil liberties.

Back to your post, Chinese people are notorious for going for the most sensational stories, no matter how unlikely, just as long as it garners a reaction. I flamed a lot of people over the first few weeks of the crisis with, sadly, limited success. Once people believe something, they refuse to listen to arguments based on logic.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

3rdside wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:17 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am
I’m not the only one.

One Man's Maddening Trip Through Arizona's Byzantine Unemployment System
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... t-11463128
Sorry to hear that, and man it makes me angry.

Don't take this the wrong way as I love the USA, it's people and what it used to stand for, but it is a shit show right now.

You guys are getting screwed royally and if Trump wins in 2020 we're all screwed.
Agreed. It's infuriating how the "system" is failing working/middle/lower class people. Hope everyone makes it through this (relatively) OK.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

pickle wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:40 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 am
Here in the US we blame China for the virus. In China they blame the US.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1186556.shtml
The alleged scientist, Shi Yi, claimed that American officials had “not given any public response” on the issue of a Chinese Communist Party conspiracy theory that a U.S. Army laboratory in Maryland was the origin of the virus.

The remarks came amid circulating reports alleging that the Fort Detrick laboratory, which handles high-level disease-causing materials such as Ebola, in Fredrick, Maryland, may be the origin of the deadly novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 2.6 million Americans with nearly 20,000 deaths as of 4:30 pm Thursday.

The lab was ordered to shut down in July 2019, reportedly for multiple causes, including failure to follow local procedures and a lack of periodic recertification training for workers in the biocontainment laboratories.

Some other posts on social media platforms also alleged that a US armed diplomatic driver and cyclist who was in Wuhan in October 2019 for the cycling competition in the Military World Games, could be patient zero for COVID-19 in Wuhan.
I'm really sorry to hear about your unemployment situation 'dack.

And this post is also very pertinent. The average Chinese netizen lacks the ability to differentiate between rumor and news from reputable sources, thus my rant yesterday about the state of the media today. What I've seen over the years, which may explain some of the behavior we've seen over the last few months in both China and the US: both the Chinese and American people have a deep-rooted mistrust of the government. The difference being, when the government says we are at threat level 5 out of 10, Chinese people automatically think the real threat level is at 15 and the government is trying to pull a fast one, whereas Americans think threat level is at 1.5 and the government is just using this as an excuse to infringe upon our civil liberties.

Back to your post, Chinese people are notorious for going for the most sensational stories, no matter how unlikely, just as long as it garners a reaction. I flamed a lot of people over the first few weeks of the crisis with, sadly, limited success. Once people believe something, they refuse to listen to arguments based on logic.
You seriously think it's any worse than people watching Fox News, Alex Jones etc? Like i said before, my Dad is an educated man that went from "don't put photos on Facebook, you can't trust the internet" to "Hilary Clinton ran a paedophile ring from the basement of a pizza parlour".

He's been hacked, like so many of them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And now today Trump suggests injecting Lysol and sunshine as a cure.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 am
And now today Trump suggests injecting Lysol and sunshine as a cure.
I don't know how anybody can watch that clip and defend the man. He clearly has no idea what he is talking about. He talks about using UV and sunlight inside the body, and about injecting or otherwise inserting cleaners like bleach to clean/scrub out bad gunk from the lungs. He acts like he just came up with these brilliant ideas and that the experts should get right on it and look into it. I don't know if I have ever seen a more perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

How can anybody defend this guy's competency, his handling of this virus? When he goes on national TV, clearly has spent no time learning anything about anything, spouts ridiculous "cures" that would kill you if you actually tried them? The only defense for this stuff is to just completely ignore his words as the ravings of a madman. We really want a person like that as the leader of the country?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

People can rationalize and defend anything. Besides, the gotcha media is just pulling clips and spinning everything he says to make him look bad.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:39 pm
If Trump isn't attacking China it's because money's involved. Follow the money and patents given to Ivanka. Trump's the biggest globalist of anyone so long as he's lining his pockets.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump ... 21571.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Man drinks a bottle of rubbing alcohol for COVID-19
https://www.miamitimesonline.com/covid- ... MnRSJ0lUXg

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Without a mixer? Gross.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump is trying to paint Biden as soft on China.

Donald Trump is reported to owe tens of millions of dollars to China, through a real estate debt which falls due in 2022, offering “astonishing leverage” to Beijing.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/2 ... ebt-205475

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump approved of Georgia’s plan to reopen before bashing it
https://apnews.com/a031d395d414ffa655fdc65e6760d6a0
President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence repeatedly told Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp that they approved of his aggressive plan to allow businesses to reopen, just a day before Trump pulled an about-face and publicly bashed the plan, according to two administration officials.

The green light from Pence and Trump came in separate private conversations with the Republican governor both before Kemp announced his plan to ease coronavirus restrictions and after it was unveiled on Monday, the officials said. Trump’s sudden shift came only after top health advisers reviewed the plan more closely and persuaded the president that Kemp was risking further spread of the virus by moving too quickly.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

So dodgy .. how he was ever allowed to run business while being President is mind boggling, but isn't it the perfect deal for both parties.

Trump gets to hustle, and hustle the country, the GOP gets to install its weirdo-right ideology, with neither caring what the other one does so as long as they each get their needs met.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

GOP memo urges anti-China assault over coronavirus
The Senate Republican campaign arm distributed the 57-page strategy document to candidates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/2 ... rus-207244

The National Republican Senatorial Committee has sent campaigns a detailed, 57-page memo authored by a top Republican strategist advising GOP candidates to address the coronavirus crisis by aggressively attacking China.

The memo includes advice on everything from how to tie Democratic candidates to the Chinese government to how to deal with accusations of racism. It stresses three main lines of assault: That China caused the virus “by covering it up,” that Democrats are “soft on China,” and that Republicans will “push for sanctions on China for its role in spreading this pandemic.”

“Coronavirus was a Chinese hit-and-run followed by a cover-up that cost thousands of lives,” the April 17 memo states.

The document urges candidates to stay relentlessly on message against the country when responding to any questions about the virus. When asked whether the spread of the coronavirus is Trump’s fault, candidates are advised to respond by pivoting to China.

“Don’t defend Trump, other than the China Travel Ban — attack China,” the memo states.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

'No evidence' that recovering from Covid-19 gives people immunity, WHO says
https://www.france24.com/en/20200425-no ... y-who-says
The World Health Organization warned on Saturday that recovering from coronavirus may not protect people from reinfection as the death toll from the pandemic approached 200,000 around the globe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump says he's going to stop / reduce his daily Corona briefings. I think that may be the right decision. It feels like whichever candidate has the media's attention loses. Trump keeping the focus on himself is probably hurting him. Plus he's gotten to the point where he says a bunch of crazy and ignorant things at each briefing, which can't be helping.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:33 am
'No evidence' that recovering from Covid-19 gives people immunity, WHO says
https://www.france24.com/en/20200425-no ... y-who-says
The World Health Organization warned on Saturday that recovering from coronavirus may not protect people from reinfection as the death toll from the pandemic approached 200,000 around the globe.
And it may be impossible to develop a vaccine. If both those things are true, this virus is here to stay.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... vid-2020-4

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Welp, at least they're using hand sanitizer

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

FOX News has my mother under their spell.

So we got my parents moved into their new home on a golf course. The previous owners had a statue of a golfer swinging his club in their backyard but, it’s head was broken off, probably by an errant golf ball. They left the broken statue in the back yard. My step dad was on the back porch and I put the 3 foot plastic statue on the porch to show him in jest. Later on my mother comes out sees the statue and FREAKS!

“The previous owners were Muslims and they left this for me as a message! You know they cut people’s heads off!”

Thanks FOX News for destroying my mother.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:19 am
Welp, at least they're using hand sanitizer

Rex Chapman? Where have I heard that name before?