Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
JeremyG

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JeremyG »

If anyone wants a calm voice of reason, I recommend Dr. John Campbell's YouTube channel:

(Note: he is not an MD; he has a doctorate in nursing.)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:25 pm
touche'

I never said it was a hoax, but keep pushing that I said that. I never posted a link or article that said it was a hoax, but keep pushing that too.
Yeah, and you never found a napkin on the ground, either. It was a sarcastic post, an exaggeration. But what you DO do is find random articles from sources you haven't even heard of, and instantly believe and reshare them, IF they confirm your existing views. But I can post you 5-10 links to reputable known news sources that don't happen to align with your views, and they bounce right off you as if you had an information force field. So I'm making fun of you, since that is a silly way to behave.
Fair enough. Have at it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A thread with some useful information about Omicron, from the UCSF Dept of Medicine Chair.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:58 pm
If anyone wants a calm voice of reason, I recommend Dr. John Campbell's YouTube channel:

That guy also has videos entitled:

"Ivermectin and Japan"
"Spontaneous abortion after vaccine"
"Severe illness after vaccination"
"Antidepressant reduces hospitalisations and deaths"
"Natural versus vaccine immunity" (in which he argues that natural is better)
"Debunking the BBC debunk of ivermectin"
"Ivermectin advised for India"
"Vaccines and sperm count"
"Infections and deaths after vaccination"
"Vitamin D reduces hospital risk"

These are just the last 5-6 months.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It turns out that the infamously pessimistic Dr. Chris Murray of IHME (the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington's School of Medicine), who runs the widely-used IHME models, is even more optimistic than what I was saying regarding Omicron being milder than influenza:
Researchers found the infection-hospitalization rate of omicron is about 90% to 96% lower than delta, and the infection-fatality rate is about 97% to 99% lower.

In the past, we roughly thought that COVID was 10 times worse than flu and now we have a variant that is probably at least 10 times less severe,” Murray said. “So, omicron will probably … be less severe than flu but much more transmissible.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 967421002/
"At least 10 times less severe" than flu would mean a death rate of 0.01% or lower.

Just to put that in perspective: according to Worldometers about 833,000 Americans have died from Covid.

If Dr. Murray is correct, and every single American catches Omicron, only 33,000 would die.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

JeremyG wrote:If anyone wants a calm voice of reason, I recommend Dr. John Campbell's YouTube channel:

I’m I’m Australia and we’re living pretty free finally but we’re at 90% double vax rate.

And they just bought in a mask mandate again just then, as well as work from home (we never quite got back to the office) and social distancing requirements.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump being interviewed by antivax whackjob Candice Owens again defends the vaccine:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kind of funny. Kind of sad.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I feel like she thinks he's going to instantly align to all her views and points. It's funny. Even towards the end, he praises China and their education system and rightfully bashes ours.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:47 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:29 pm
Fully vaccinated people show higher rate of spreading COVID-19 than people who had and survived COVID.
BY THE LOW ETHIOPIAN REPORTS ON DECEMBER 15, 2021 | WORLD

https://lekreports.com/2021/12/15/fully ... ved-covid/

Never heard of the Lower Ethiopian Reports before.
This is classic In2 in a nutshell. "Guys, here's a study that confirms my prior opinions. I have never heard of the source before. Q.E.D.!" It's from Ethiopia, the bastion of medical research as we all know.
I mentioned that I have never heard of them, and in that I'm not holding them up as a bastion of medical research. The links to the studies included in the article do their own work. I thought it was understood, but in classic Marty way, it's about my posting. :lol:
You don’t even have the ability to comprehend the stuff you post. You just regurgitate links you get from whatever other whack job message board you follow.

Just stop.

It’s so sad that the vaccination rates correlate with level of education. The well educated are less likely fooled by garbage they read on YouTube, or their aunts sisters cousin eating donkey turd right after getting covid and survived so donkey turd must be a cure. It’s a sad state for this society and I wish it was never politicized because these people do not deserve to die, no matter how poor their decisions.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:05 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 pm

Once Omicron is the virtually exclusive strain (and we’re almost there—only 4.7% of cases in the Southeast US were Delta last week), I see no reason to treat it any differently than other viruses players get. They can’t keep putting players into protocols for something that is milder than influenza.
Would love to see the mortality numbers that indicate it is less severe than influenza. Specifically need to see a mortality rate of 0.1% or less.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... erview.pdf

Hospitalizations are "Confirmed and SGTF" but it's unclear if the same is true for deaths, so for now let's just assume the deaths are only among confirmed omicron cases. Even so, that's 18 deaths/74,089 cases = 0.02% death rate. That also doesn't consider the fact that many mild/asymptomatic cases are probably not being sequenced, which would lower the death rate even more.

It is true that the numbers may go up since there is a lag for deaths, but so far it looks incredibly mild. 195 hospitalizations out of 239,893 cases (confirmed plus SGTF [S-Gene Target Failure])?!
I don’t know the website you got this data from, but that certainly is encouraging.

Now this is obviously a single strain, and really has no indication toward the future yet. I would love if this thing gets to a point where it’s a common cold. Who knows what future strains will be like, I guess time will tell.

I can tell you I am still admitting 3-4 patients myself daily that are hypoxic due to Covid, or have blood clots due to the virus. 90% unvaccinated. May not be a death, but you’re still talking about long term morbidity

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:02 pm
Vaccines provide much better protection than "natural immunity" conferred by having previously been infected with COVID. Also, if you were infected a year ago, you likely no longer have very strong "natural immunity" against COVID today. Sources:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... ed-to-know
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... l-immunity
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... ction.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -immunity/

Also, just look at the numbers. How many people are in hospitals sick and dying who are vaxxed and boosted? And how many are unvaxxed ignoramuses? It's almost 100% the latter group. Why would that be true if the vax were bad and if "natural immunity" were so effective?

In2 says he's gotten his antibodies tested and that they're still very high, which sounds dubious to me. Either it's made up, or he's misunderstanding what he got tested and what the results meant. A COVID infection from 1+ year ago would not still provide high antibody levels a year later.
Quit making false dichotomies. I never said the vax is bad. And yes some people do have high antibody levels a year later. Why should people with high antibody levels from natural immunity be discrimated against while people with zero or near-zero antibody levels who have been vaccinated be allowed special privileges? That is the definitition of insanity.
You’re not wrong.

Many places do not offer titers, simply qualitative tests that say you have antibodies or you don’t.

It definitely would be nice to get to a point where you could check your titers every 6 months, and decide on further boosters at that point if needed. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable thought.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lol, trump's own restaurant is kicking out anti vaxxers:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It always seems Trump supporters would support Trump no matter what he did or say. There are dozens of women claiming sexual assault and it bounces right off him. All the fraud that he commits doesn’t faze them a bit. Being banned from all social media for lying constantly was water off a ducks back.

Trump being pro vaccines is totally inexcusable behavior to his supporters.

Wacky world.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

My friends in biomedical research, including some leading figures, have been curiously optimistic about Omicron in private conversations. Maybe they have known about the results of the HKU study that found that Omicron is 70x as likely to spread in the upper respiratory tract and 1/10th as likely to spread in the lungs as original COVID.

I am quite optimistic myself, this will get all the anti-vaxxers sick and immune without killing them. The short term hospital numbers will look scary, though.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Does Vermont not have alternate testing sites? Why are people going to the ER to get tested with no symptoms? The ER should just tell them to go elsewhere if it’s an issue.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ya, that seems dumb. You don’t go to a hospital with zero symptoms. That’s like calling 911 because you got a paper cut.You go to a testing place and then go home and isolate.

The new strain is super contagious but seems to be less severe. This is good news for anti vaxxers. As V9 said “this will get all the anti-vaxxers sick and immune without killing them.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Alex Jones Slams Trump for Supporting Covid-19 Vaccines: Either ‘Ignorant’ or ‘The Most Evil Man Who Has Ever Lived’
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/alex- ... ver-lived/

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe Trump’s pro-vaccine stance will be what keeps him out of the running in 2024