Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 am
My wife is going bananas seeing all these stories and charts showing that AZ is becoming one of the fastest rising COVID-19 states, just as we prepare our visit to Tucson.
I don’t blame her.
Response on fb on a friend’s post with this information “typical leftist bullshit.”

Huh?

My state deserves this. Too many dumb fucks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Data and factual information -- the truth itself -- has become politically partisan.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This country needs a full reset.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My brother says his wife said some nurse at some hospital said they aren't any busier than normal implying those cases reported are fake. So there’s that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:39 pm
My brother says his wife said some nurse at some hospital said they aren't any busier than normal implying those cases reported are fake. So there’s that.
That's quite the game of telephone.

Have your brother's wife's some nurse come to any of the major hospitals in Phoenix and see if she still feels that way :) We'd be happy to have some help.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Heard it from "your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 am
My wife is going bananas seeing all these stories and charts showing that AZ is becoming one of the fastest rising COVID-19 states, just as we prepare our visit to Tucson.
I don’t blame her.
we are too. they are loading our stuff on the truck today and we head out in the morning...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Drive safe.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And here I am wondering how I can convince my remaining family in Phoenix to get the hell out.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I love Phoenix. I have been all over the US and a lot of other countries and this is where I choose to live.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm
I love Phoenix. I have been all over the US and a lot of other countries and this is where I choose to live.
I’m thinking about retiring there half the year. 8-)

Seriously, when I visit Phoenix, I’m always awed by the wide open skies and beautiful clouds. It’s a beautiful state. Plus, you have all climates as you travel North. It also happens to be home to one of the most breathtaking natural wonders of the world.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The summer can be brutal for some. When you have a pool it becomes the best time of the year. I’m generally slower gig wise in the summer for obvious reasons but, it gives me more off time for vacations projects etc.

After all my years in AZ, I have only seen the Grand Canyon once.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:07 pm
After all my years in AZ, I have only seen the Grand Canyon once.
Dude!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s a long drive just to look at a hole in the ground.
:D

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:07 pm
That’s a long drive just to look at a hole in the ground.
:D
Dude...
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

According to Worldometer, we're still getting about +25,000 new COVID cases per day and about +1000 new deaths per day in the US.

Arizona is on the rise, with 32.9k total cases and 1,100 deaths. I have recently traveled from Santa Clara, CA (bay area) to Tucson, AZ, and I was somewhat shocked to find out that Pima County now has more total covid cases (3889) than Santa Clara county (3117), despite the latter having a much larger population and being close to a covid hotspot in SF. That's really embarrassing for Arizona.

A major difference I can already see here in Tucson is that people don't seem to be protecting themselves against the virus. In Santa Clara when my wife and I made our rare trips out to the store to get our groceries, 100% of people were wearing masks. I believe all the stores mandated it, or it may have even been required by the governor or mayor. Here in Tucson when we go out, I'd say about 40-50% of people are wearing masks and the rest aren't. That's reprehensible! We're in the middle of a pandemic, known to be surging in AZ, and these people can't take the most basic precaution to help protect themselves and others.

Part of me wants to say, well fine, let the virus hit these morons the hardest, let it punish those stupid enough not to take it seriously. But, I don't wish such an awful illness or death on anyone, even if they may be misguided. And then there's the collateral damage, the others who face risk because of this. My 70-year-old parents live here in Marana, and they might both die if either one of them catches this thing. I've got two young kids who love their grandparents, and I'm not even remotely ready to lose either of them.

What does this say about our supposedly great USA when half of its citizens won't do the most basic amount of giving a shit about the very lives of themselves and their fellow countrymen?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I took my wife, our 6 month old daughter and our dog on our daughter's first road trip yesterday to hike in some fairly remote areas isolated from people in Prescott I'm familiar with (one of the perks of having a Tacoma and 4WD). We had a wonderful time. I wore my daughter in a carrier on my chest and we all hiked and had a picnic. My wife and I have spent a lot of time with trips and her briefly living in Prescott so we decided to drive into Old Town at the Courthouse Square just to sight see from the comfort of my truck.

We were appalled. There was a street festival with food tents everywhere and several hundred people, walking shoulder to shoulder with no masks or anything, other than MAYBE 5 or 6 people out of hundreds, and one food tent worker. Clearly, people all over the state don't think this thing is real. As we've been distancing and avoiding the public, this was an eye opener. We both didn't know what to say to each other. It's unreal. Just going about their business like nothing at all is going on with a pandemic.

We had our masks in the truck and thought, "maybe people will be respecting distancing and downtown old Prescott will be quiet. We can find a quiet spot and hang out for a minute." No way in hell. I can't imagine how many people might have been spreading Covid-19 around in Prescott yesterday.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Unbelievable.

At least they couldn’t ruin the trail for you

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Many people in Arizona are going to die from COVID-19 due to this kind of misbehavior. Very sad.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Saw this coming...

Inspectors general warn that Trump administration is blocking scrutiny of coronavirus rescue programs
Tom Hamburger, Jeff Stein, Jonathan O'Connell and Aaron Gregg, The Washington Post
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/busine ... 340999.php
WASHINGTON - The Trump administration's intensifying efforts to block oversight of its coronavirus-related rescue programs are raising new alarms with government watchdogs and lawmakers from both parties amid concerns about the anonymity of companies receiving unprecedented levels of taxpayer funds.