Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 pm
I sent a PCP who’s patient came to the ER with covid a message saying the data now unequivocally shows Ivermectin is not effective and now I can’t give your patient paxlovid because they interact, so please reconsider in future. His response to me was “FREEDOM OF SPEECH!”
That is so crazy. After hearing that I think we should use the pharmacological definition of PCP for that person instead of the medical one.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I sent a PCP who’s patient came to the ER with covid a message saying the data now unequivocally shows Ivermectin is not effective and now I can’t give your patient paxlovid because they interact, so please reconsider in future. His response to me was “FREEDOM OF SPEECH!”
That is so crazy. After hearing that I think we should use the pharmacological definition of PCP for that person instead of the medical one.
Lol. It’s sad. He works in an affluent area of town and is a quack. I don’t know why, but I felt like it would be less likely to have docs going rogue in town than in rural areas

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There are idiot Republicans everywhere.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wow.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Everybody acts like COVID is old news. I hardly see anybody wearing masks or taking any other precautions. But I got two notifications this week from my kid's daycare about other kids catching it; I still can't vaccinate any of my three children; and case counts are still high in the US (70-80k new cases/day). And I suspect they are undercounting the cases since most people who get mild cases aren't reporting them to anybody.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Split T

Post by Split T »

The one thing I will say is my hospital is no longer seeing many patients… went from 90 covid patients at our peak, 50-60 this last winter, to now single digits. Covid is still happening, but it seems like the strains we are seeing now must be less severe. I don’t know if that’s the case everywhere, but if hospital systems are not being stressed, not sure we need to do anything drastic. Stay home when your sick, practice good hygiene, wear masks around at-risk populations. Does anyone know what hospitals around the country look like? Are some places still being over taxed with Covid?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sounds like Covid is the new normal that we'll have to deal with similarly to how we deal with the flu. Get your shots each year (I hope they get it down to one) and go about our lives. That's what I've been doing anyway. I haven't worn a mask for a while now. If I get sick, I will wear one if out and about.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think the extreme measures China is taking, locking down entire cities, seem ridiculous. I don't know what the best policy would be. I guess I just didn't mind the masks as much as most people? If they kept the spread down, I was totally fine to keep wearing them when in crowded areas like stores and theaters. Given that we don't really know the extent to which long COVID can wreck a person's body systems, and given that my kids are unable to get vaccinated, I still would strongly like to avoid catching it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I get that…And I never minded the masks either. I don’t wear them in public anymore, but I certainly don’t think it’s crazy to wear one…it’s probably been the last maybe two months I’ve stopped. About the time we saw the number of covid patients in my hospital plummet. We still wear them at the hospital.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Variants are definitely more pathogenic and getting more infectious. But the odds are against with it not preventing infections and its systemic infections —offering a cloudy future.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:56 am
The one thing I will say is my hospital is no longer seeing many patients… went from 90 covid patients at our peak, 50-60 this last winter, to now single digits. Covid is still happening, but it seems like the strains we are seeing now must be less severe. I don’t know if that’s the case everywhere, but if hospital systems are not being stressed, not sure we need to do anything drastic. Stay home when your sick, practice good hygiene, wear masks around at-risk populations. Does anyone know what hospitals around the country look like? Are some places still being over taxed with Covid?
Ditto.

I’m still masking, but it’s because I’m frequently around family that is immunocompromised and I’d rather mask in public and be free around them than the opposite.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:56 pm
but what about my freedoms Drew?
Freedumb for all! Honestly I’m actually kidding. I don’t judge others for going back to pre-pandemic ways. But it’s aggravating as a parent and as an immune compromised person to know that we aren’t collectively using the tools we “learned” to live with the virus. I have only a dart board to understand why that is, maybe there are elections to win?
The political messaging from CDC is in stark contrast to all the news from medical journals coming out on how damaging Covid is for everyone. We’ve successfully prevented the immediate collapse of our local hospitals by protecting our acute beds. Our political system is inept at solving our social problems and we’re also to blame. As a country we failed the fucking marshmallow test.
Wtf we will do once these variants start chugging out more rapidly and producing longer more frequent waves is beyond me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:59 am
Sounds like Covid is the new normal that we'll have to deal with similarly to how we deal with the flu. Get your shots each year (I hope they get it down to one) and go about our lives. That's what I've been doing anyway. I haven't worn a mask for a while now. If I get sick, I will wear one if out and about.
And as soon as I say this, I had an appointment with my PCP today. I'm about to walk into the office when I see masks required. I run back out to my car to grab one. Makes sense at a doctor's office or hospital that it's still required.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Interesting rumors going around that lots of NBA players have had covid to end the season and even in the playoffs, but aren't required to test and as long as they don't test positive, they don't have to enter protocols.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nearly every day over the last month or so I find out someone new around me has COVID.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are averaging around 4-5 deaths a day in AZ instead of the 150 a day we had during the peak. Obviously something has changed. Less lethal variants, better treatments and Covid shots have made Covid a much less lethal thing for most of America.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:38 pm
We are averaging around 4-5 deaths a day in AZ instead of the 150 a day we had during the peak. Obviously something has changed. Less lethal variants, better treatments and Covid shots have made Covid a much less lethal thing for most of America.
The chart drew shared above shows the lethality for older people is actually a lot higher, but so many of the million deaths were already in that age group, there isn't as many people left.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Somehow my parents have managed to not get it although they rarely leave the house except for doctors appointments.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

As you all know, my wife and I, both vaccinated and boosted, got Covid about 5 weeks ago. Our daughter, 2 1/2 so unable to be vaccinated, got it as well. We had minor symptoms at the time. A bit of a head cold. Some congestion. For the sake of testing about 15 to 20 days later to see how the test would come back, sure enough we all still had positive tests, my wife's a stronger result than the first time.

Since that time, I had a day where I basically couldn't do anything last week and had to lay in bed, taking the day off from work, curled up in a ball. Had really bad inflammation in my intestines like I've never felt before, some severe diarrhea, cramping in my lower back likely in my kidneys due to dehydration, though I kept drinking water and seemingly instantly urinating it out.

My wife has had the worst cough she's had since I've known her, persistent for a week now. She's been coughing out phlegm that has slowly gone from green-yellow to clear. She's also had head fog and inflammation in her chest and lungs. Our daughter started coughing about two nights ago, though she insists "I'm not sick daddy!". Last night, I had to lay in bed again with similar inflammation in my intestines, this time coupled with nausea most of the night.

This hasn't been a great stretch and it all began with Covid. I'm certain these symptoms and ills we are facing today are because of it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton