Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
JeremyG

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:52 pm
Does the common cold kill 3000 Americans a day?
Adjusting the population of Denmark to that of the US, they've been averaging around 1,100 deaths per day, and the US has been averaging around 2,400 deaths per day.

So it is still killing a lot of people in Denmark, but they are expecting vulnerable people to protect themselves and letting people live freely like they used to.

Liberty and personal responsibility. What a foreign concept to most Americans these days.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:27 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Adjusting the population of Denmark to that of the US, they've been averaging around 1,100 deaths per day, and the US has been averaging around 2,400 deaths per day.

So it is still killing a lot of people in Denmark, but they are expecting vulnerable people to protect themselves and letting people live freely like they used to.

Liberty and personal responsibility. What a foreign concept to most Americans these days.
I thought it was the common cold. How many people die of the common cold every day in the US? Of the flu?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

So then you don’t believe in speed limits, or traffic lights, or drinking and driving laws right?

If you’re worried, then just don’t drive.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:24 pm
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... orse-cold/
The land where Covid is now no worse than a cold
As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.
Still waiting for clarification on this. Does the common cold now kill thousands of people per day? Has it mutated in a way that I was not aware of?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Fact check: You are not more likely to die from the common cold than COVID-19
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKCN26D0XT
“The common cold is generally not lethal, with some rare exceptions”, the Digital Health Lab explains. “The flu, which is deadlier than the common cold, killed 0.1% of the people who contracted it in 2019. It is still too early to discern accurate global death estimates for people who have contracted COVID-19, but estimates have ranged from 1% to 25% of all cases, depending on the country”.

The experts argue that a conservative death rate of 1% would therefore make COVID-19 at least 10 times as deadly as the flu, and therefore “significantly more lethal” than the common cold.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:11 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

So then you don’t believe in speed limits, or traffic lights, or drinking and driving laws right?

And we shouldn't regulate what companies do. Liberty and all that. If a company wants to sell tainted meat or pills, people just shouldn't buy them. If GM/Ford want to sell cars that might explode when in minor accidents, don't buy them. If you don't want to drink a ton of carcinogens, don't live in a town down river from a chemical plant. If you don't want to breathe in carcinogens, don't live in a town with a refinery. They shouldn't be forced to curtail their pollution. That's the AMERICAN WAY!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I thought it was the common cold. How many people die of the common cold every day in the US? Of the flu?
Over 900,000 Americans have died from Covid in the last 2 years.

It would take over 25 years of flu deaths to come close to that.

This is such a stupid argument.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:23 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:24 pm
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... orse-cold/
The land where Covid is now no worse than a cold
As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.
Still waiting for clarification on this. Does the common cold now kill thousands of people per day? Has it mutated in a way that I was not aware of?
Lol, I'm not the one who claimed that. That was Denmark's director of infection preparedness.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:43 am
Fact check: You are not more likely to die from the common cold than COVID-19
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKCN26D0XT
“The common cold is generally not lethal, with some rare exceptions”, the Digital Health Lab explains. “The flu, which is deadlier than the common cold, killed 0.1% of the people who contracted it in 2019. It is still too early to discern accurate global death estimates for people who have contracted COVID-19, but estimates have ranged from 1% to 25% of all cases, depending on the country”.

The experts argue that a conservative death rate of 1% would therefore make COVID-19 at least 10 times as deadly as the flu, and therefore “significantly more lethal” than the common cold.
Omicron is nowhere near a 1% death rate, even among confirmed cases.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:17 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:11 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

And we shouldn't regulate what companies do. Liberty and all that. If a company wants to sell tainted meat or pills, people just shouldn't buy them. If GM/Ford want to sell cars that might explode when in minor accidents, don't buy them. If you don't want to drink a ton of carcinogens, don't live in a town down river from a chemical plant. If you don't want to breathe in carcinogens, don't live in a town with a refinery. They shouldn't be forced to curtail their pollution. That's the AMERICAN WAY!
You all don't seem to have a very good grasp of the libertarian position.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, it is "don't tell me what to do" even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

There's no doubt that Omicron isn't the killer that Delta was. Let's get everyone vaccinated and let it run free.

Wait. Lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

About Denmark removing their mandates / lockdowns: There are some important differences between Denmark and the US. For one, they got Omicron sooner than we did, so they're operating from a future state where Omicron waves are receding. Second and more importantly, they have much better rates of vaccination and general obedience of health guidelines than we do here. When their health experts say to wear masks and quarantine and get vaccinated and do other reasonable health measures, they do it, in a much greater percentage than Americans do. They don't have anything as toxic as the US GOP actively telling half their citizens to do everything they can to defy health guidelines and be unsafe and endanger others. When that toxic force is removed, you can actually relax a lot of the restrictions because people collectively are not such assholes to each other.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this article, and the tweet thread it's part of, interesting. We have a societal trust problem here in the US, and it's getting worse.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's another striking example related to COVID: When 100k Americans were dead, NYT declared it an "incalculable loss"; now that 900k are dead (!), NYT talks about people being tired of it and wanting to get back to normal. We normalize horrifying mass death so quickly.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 am
Yeah, it is "don't tell me what to do" even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths.
Covid restrictions do not prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths: https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files ... tality.pdf

The only thing that could prevent deaths is China-style lockdowns. So if you are opposed to China-style lockdowns, then you are saying "'don't tell me what to do' even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths."
Last edited by JeremyG on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:01 am
About Denmark removing their mandates / lockdowns: There are some important differences between Denmark and the US. For one, they got Omicron sooner than we did, so they're operating from a future state where Omicron waves are receding. Second and more importantly, they have much better rates of vaccination and general obedience of health guidelines than we do here. When their health experts say to wear masks and quarantine and get vaccinated and do other reasonable health measures, they do it, in a much greater percentage than Americans do. They don't have anything as toxic as the US GOP actively telling half their citizens to do everything they can to defy health guidelines and be unsafe and endanger others. When that toxic force is removed, you can actually relax a lot of the restrictions because people collectively are not such assholes to each other.
Did you read the article about Denmark that I linked to? They're not wearing masks anymore, and they are at their peak right now. The US has actually come down from its peak much more than Denmark has:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... y/denmark/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Covid restrictions do not prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths: https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files ... tality.pdf

The only thing that could prevent deaths is China-style lockdowns. So if you are opposed to China-style lockdowns, then you are saying "'don't tell me what to do' even if it may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths."
That 'meta' analysis conveniently only looked at lockdowns, instead of including the #1 mitigation strategy of vaccinations. Everyone knows that only doing a lockdown won't work, because too many people think their desires are more important than the health and safety of their neighbors.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The death rate of Omicron in the US has been 0.3% of confirmed cases. Infections are usually estimated to be about three times confirmed cases (and the US has had an increase in at-home rapid testing which isn't reported plus difficulty obtaining tests in general, which probably makes it more than three times). So that is a 0.1% infection fatality rate at most, in the United States. In other words, the same estimate the CDC gives for influenza.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:48 pm
Indy wrote:

That 'meta' analysis conveniently only looked at lockdowns, instead of including the #1 mitigation strategy of vaccinations. Everyone knows that only doing a lockdown won't work, because too many people think their desires are more important than the health and safety of their neighbors.
If you are opposed to China-style lockdowns, then you think your desires are more important than the health and safety of your neighbors.