Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:12 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 am
3rdside wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:29 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ds/596668/

It's a long article, so search the word 'test' and start from the 8th 'test' in the search ..
Ah, so you don't mean any and all tests. You are talking about Standardized Tests. I took them all through school (I think I started with the Iowa Tests in the mid-80s) and finished with the SATs in the early 90s. The ones throughout K-12 are not impactful at all. They just forced teachers to teach to the test for a month before we took it. It was a huge waste of time. The SATs are one of the most talked about standardized tests when it comes to inequities in test design. You can do a simple google search and find very reputable studies that show how biased it is.
If it's just the standardised tests then I can agree that it's biased, but it sounds to me there were no tests at all if they did away with these?:

"Instead of giving grades, teachers at our school wrote long, detailed, often deeply knowledgeable reports on each student".

Regardless of background (or gender, apparently..) there has to be some testing (IQ tests possibly, which rely less on preparation?).

Maybe I can be convinced otherwise, but I doubt it.
I doubt it, too. ;)

And IQ tests are probably the most flawed.

As far as the article, yes I think what they said was that one school was trying to do away with tests. I don't think that is the precipice of some great liberal wave of educations sweeping the land. I remember my teachers in the late 80s talking about some of the middle and high-schools in the mid-70s as choose your own adventure eduction. There was one big room with 4 classes going on at once with different topics/subjects. And the student picked which teacher to sit near and listen to. I am not sure how long that lasted, but it was certainly gone when I was there. Just fads that pass through.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I don't doubt the loopy left will try to find any way to remove supposed stratification or inequalities in society, no matter how misguided they are.

To no surprise it's a euro country that's figured it out best - no standardized testing at all, one test at the end of final year high school only.

Probably couldn't happen in such an unequal society as the USA, but that doesn't mean the process can't be benchmarked.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovati ... -49859555/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There are no mandated standardized tests in Finland, apart from one exam at the end of students’ senior year in high school. There are no rankings, no comparisons or competition between students, schools or regions. Finland’s schools are publicly funded. The people in the government agencies running them, from national officials to local authorities, are educators, not business people, military leaders or career politicians. Every school has the same national goals and draws from the same pool of university-trained educators.

So Finland has figured it out? Our private voucher schools are definitely out since their school system is 100% government funded. The government runs them all. All teachers come from university trained educators. None of that would fly with ANY Republican I know in the US.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We've reached the 'Red Covid' phase of the pandemic
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/politics ... index.html
More than 9 in 10 self-identified Democrats (92%) report that they have had at least one dose of one of the three vaccines for Covid-19. That number among Republicans? Just 56%.

That's a stunning data point that tells a very clear story: there are Republicans who are getting seriously ill -- and even dying -- as some sort of distorted political stance.
How did we get here? There's no single person to blame, but in my mind it's quite clear that former President Donald Trump and Fox News bear the lion's share of the responsibility.

The result of all of this misinformation and politicization of Covid-19 is stark. The 12 states with the highest case rate for every 100,000 people are all run by Republican governors. The 13 states with the highest hospitalization rate per 100,000 residents are all run by Republican governors. The 15 states with the highest percentage of deaths per 100,000 are all run by Republican governors.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't remember ever seeing a political effort that so clearly caused its own members to die. Isn't this going to come back to bite Republicans, the fact that they've embraced denial of modern medicine to the point that hundreds of thousands of their own tribe are falling ill and dying off?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:53 am
There are no mandated standardized tests in Finland, apart from one exam at the end of students’ senior year in high school. There are no rankings, no comparisons or competition between students, schools or regions. Finland’s schools are publicly funded. The people in the government agencies running them, from national officials to local authorities, are educators, not business people, military leaders or career politicians. Every school has the same national goals and draws from the same pool of university-trained educators.

So Finland has figured it out? Our private voucher schools are definitely out since their school system is 100% government funded. The government runs them all. All teachers come from university trained educators. None of that would fly with ANY Republican I know in the US.
Very true. Can you imagine requiring a national minimum standard for K-12 education in this country?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:17 am
I can't remember ever seeing a political effort that so clearly caused its own members to die. Isn't this going to come back to bite Republicans, the fact that they've embraced denial of modern medicine to the point that hundreds of thousands of their own tribe are falling ill and dying off?
Literally dying to own the libs .. you can't fault their passion :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Literally dying to own the libs .. you can't fault their passion :)
You think they are literally dying to prove a point? Boy oh boy...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

It was a joke?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, it was a joke. And you got it backwards.

They aren't dying to prove a point. They are proving a point by dying.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:08 pm
Yeah, it was a joke. And you got it backwards.

They aren't dying to prove a point. They are proving a point by dying.
But not the one they intended.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Copied over from the locked thread on the main page:
In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:49 pm
Suns_Dave wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:04 pm
I am so into seeing if our competitors are affected by this. This is such an obvious unforced error that could have some impact. You have to be fully vaxxed and as far as we know people like Kyrie and Wiggins are facing missing the start of the season. They basically have this week to get their shot to not miss any time. Im all for people losing their footing in the playoffs and idiocy having consequences in this regard.
Unfortunately, the consequences of another team's unvaccinated player carrying the virus and infecting others could mean OUR guys miss time. We've already had like what, 4 players out due to COVID? And we know at least some of them had been vaccinated, if not all. The vaccine protects, but it doesn't make you invulnerable. Let's be careful what we wish for.
This makes it seem that it is believed that only and all unvaccinated can and most likely do carry and transmit covid. This is frustrating.
It is harder to spread if you have been vaccinated because of the viral load you would be shedding. So, yes, like current hospitalizations and deaths in this country due to Covid, it is 90% unvaccinated people causing this.
Not according to these:

In fact, a preprint paper by the prestigious Oxford University Clinical Research Group, published Aug. 10 in The Lancet, found vaccinated individuals carry 251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated.
You should google your sources before copying and pasting:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-275980853664
CLAIM: A preprint paper by the prestigious Oxford University Clinical Research Group, published Aug. 10 in The Lancet, found vaccinated individuals carry 251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The study is being misrepresented. It found vaccinated health care workers with breakthrough infections caused by the coronavirus delta variant had higher viral loads — the amount of virus detected in a person — compared to patients infected with earlier strains of the virus. Furthermore, other studies that compare the viral loads between vaccinated and unvaccinated delta patients found similar amounts of viral material in the two groups.

THE FACTS: The website, The Defender, which is published by the anti-vaccine organization, Children’s Health Defense, posted an article this week that distorts the findings of a recent study of breakthrough delta infections among vaccinated hospital staff in Vietnam.

The misleading article, written by Dr. Peter A. McCullough and posted online on Aug. 23, claims the study found vaccinated individuals carry “251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated,” and pose a “threat to unvaccinated patients, co-workers.” The article falsely blames the delta-driven surge in new COVID-19 cases on vaccinated people who are “acting as powerful Typhoid Mary-style super-spreaders of the infection.”
It goes on.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 am
Copied over from the locked thread on the main page:
In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:41 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:49 pm
Suns_Dave wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, the consequences of another team's unvaccinated player carrying the virus and infecting others could mean OUR guys miss time. We've already had like what, 4 players out due to COVID? And we know at least some of them had been vaccinated, if not all. The vaccine protects, but it doesn't make you invulnerable. Let's be careful what we wish for.
This makes it seem that it is believed that only and all unvaccinated can and most likely do carry and transmit covid. This is frustrating.
It is harder to spread if you have been vaccinated because of the viral load you would be shedding. So, yes, like current hospitalizations and deaths in this country due to Covid, it is 90% unvaccinated people causing this.
Not according to these:

In fact, a preprint paper by the prestigious Oxford University Clinical Research Group, published Aug. 10 in The Lancet, found vaccinated individuals carry 251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated.
You should google your sources before copying and pasting:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-275980853664
CLAIM: A preprint paper by the prestigious Oxford University Clinical Research Group, published Aug. 10 in The Lancet, found vaccinated individuals carry 251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The study is being misrepresented. It found vaccinated health care workers with breakthrough infections caused by the coronavirus delta variant had higher viral loads — the amount of virus detected in a person — compared to patients infected with earlier strains of the virus. Furthermore, other studies that compare the viral loads between vaccinated and unvaccinated delta patients found similar amounts of viral material in the two groups.

THE FACTS: The website, The Defender, which is published by the anti-vaccine organization, Children’s Health Defense, posted an article this week that distorts the findings of a recent study of breakthrough delta infections among vaccinated hospital staff in Vietnam.

The misleading article, written by Dr. Peter A. McCullough and posted online on Aug. 23, claims the study found vaccinated individuals carry “251 times the load of COVID-19 viruses in their nostrils compared to the unvaccinated,” and pose a “threat to unvaccinated patients, co-workers.” The article falsely blames the delta-driven surge in new COVID-19 cases on vaccinated people who are “acting as powerful Typhoid Mary-style super-spreaders of the infection.”
It goes on.
So still according to this part, it still shows that your shedding statement wasn't correct.

What happened to my other links?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of which, I was happy to see that YouTube is now banning Covid misinformation.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:00 am
Speaking of which, I was happy to see that YouTube is now banning Covid misinformation.
Now if they could only ban Suns misinformation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Will this get flagged as misinformation? As the kids say nowadays, "the Japanese have no chill", and the jokes will probably write themselves.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's about time for YouTube, Facebook, etc. to get more serious about their moderation. Get rid of vaccine misinformation. Get rid of white supremacist crap. Get rid of fake/bot accounts that are just retweeting each other to boost their stats. Is it censorship? Sure. Censorship of a private platform. Don't like it, go use some other platform. Drive the whackos off the mainstream sites and onto their own garbage sites where they won't spread to the rest of us. They can go post on Parler or Stormfront or 4/8chan or wherever else they hang out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's the American way to censor people and allowed under the 1st Amendment, right? Are Big Tech actually private companies?

Exclusive: Documents Show Big Tech is Censoring Public at Request of U.S. Government
By
PUBLISHER
MAY 25, 2021
https://montanadailygazette.com/2021/05 ... overnment/

Documents made available in a federal lawsuit demonstrate that Big Tech has an agreement with the U.S. government to censor American citizens
It’s not just a left-right issue. Whether Republicans or Democrats, there is an actual written agreement between Big Tech and at least one state government to censor people who are critical of politicians. The Deep State documents are now a matter of public court record, made available by Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai. And according to the court record, the judge presiding over the case has insisted on the documents being entered into the public record because they are absolutely revolutionary.

Spoiler: show/hide

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
I don't think it's exactly broken down by political sides only. Do you know the breakdowns of other types of demographics on vaccine hesitancy like education, race, and income?

By education:

By others:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

According to Google, the "Montana Daily Gazette" is not a real newspaper; it's a fake site set up by state Republicans in 2020 to masquerade as if it were a newspaper. It has one contributor.

https://www.votereilly.com/post/fake-ne ... rn-montana