Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

Or at least prevents him from winning.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 14023
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

I love it. I hope dividing around the COVID/vaccination issue costs him the Presidency. He must be kept from the White House at all costs.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

He could always do what he usually does when faced with a problem like this. Just announce that he has always been against vaccines and was just misquoted by the Liberal media.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

Not just America…

Self-Proclaimed ‘Plague Spreader’ Dies of COVID After Boasting About Maskless Grocery Store Stunt
https://www.thedailybeast.com/maurizio- ... tore-stunt
An Italian anti-vaxxer and COVID-denier who sparked outrage after declaring himself a “plague spreader” and boasting about how he walked around sick and maskless in a supermarket is now dead of COVID-19, according to local media reports.

Buratti’s condition took a turn for the worse, perhaps unsurprisingly, after he called in to the Zanzara radio program on Radio 24, where he was a frequent and well-known commenter, and openly told listeners he was seriously ill, with a high fever, but had made a point to stroll through a crowded grocery store maskless.

He railed against pandemic-related restrictions and claimed he was “defending the constitution,” saying he would not get tested for the coronavirus because of a supposed conspiracy in which he said the test swabs themselves cause the virus.

According to Brescia Today, he went to the hospital only at the insistence of fans and Giuseppe Cruciani, the host of Zanzara, and he refused to seek treatment at a hospital in his native Mantua “because the Communists are there.”

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

Wow, the Chinese get serious. Reminds me of GOT.

“Shame!….Shame!…Shame!…”

Chinese lockdown rule-breakers are publicly shamed and paraded through the streets carrying placards with their names on in bid to ensure Covid rules are obeyed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... beyed.html


Image


User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 14023
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »


User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 14023
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »


Online
JeremyG
Posts: 2741
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:04 pm
First Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa:
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 19,157 on January 11
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 577 on January 14
Death rate: 3.0%

Second Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Delta):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 20,076 on July 8
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 419 on July 26
Death rate: 2.1%

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases (so far): 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths (so far): 31
Death rate: 0.13%

(Data taken from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... th-africa/)

While the Omicron wave hasn’t quite peaked yet in South Africa, the data look very encouraging so far.
Update: it looks like December 17 may have been the peak after all for cases this wave, as the 7-day average has gone down the last two days, to 20,083 now.

So we have, so far:

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases (so far): 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths (so far): 33 on December 18
Death rate: 0.14%

Overall, allowing for a 2-week lag between cases and deaths, we have a death rate of 3.1% from the start of the entire pandemic to cases as of November 16/deaths as of November 30. For cases from November 16 to December 5 and deaths from November 30 to December 19, we have a death rate of 0.58%.
Update:

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 67 on December 26
Death rate: 0.29%

That looks like it will be the final peak numbers from this wave.

Overall, allowing for a 2-week lag between cases and deaths, we have a death rate of 3.1% from the start of the entire pandemic to cases as of November 16/deaths as of November 30. For cases from November 16 to December 19 and deaths from November 30 to January 2, during the Omicron wave, we have a death rate of 0.38%. If we start counting cases and deaths two weeks later respectively, then it's 0.31%.

Keep in mind that there is a lack of testing in South Africa, so the case numbers are at least several times the reported numbers, which probably means the death rate is actually a lot lower, likely less than 0.1%.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

That's really promising. My in-laws just tested positive for Covid, and my father-in-law is just recovering from chemo treatments, so he's not exactly in full strength and isn't even walking around regularly. I trust my wife to get them better, and hoping it's omicron variant.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 23588
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:31 pm
That's really promising. My in-laws just tested positive for Covid, and my father-in-law is just recovering from chemo treatments, so he's not exactly in full strength and isn't even walking around regularly. I trust my wife to get them better, and hoping it's omicron variant.
I’m really sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best for them.

Unfortunately, my friend’s aunt just died of Covid last week at the age of 61. She had an underlying condition and had been on Prednisone for the last 26 years. She was being very careful but her husband was very careless and was going out without a mask and was being around a lot of people. He contracted Covid and gave it to her.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I want to be who I think I am." - Frank Kaminsky

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

I talked to my brother who got Covid. He got out of the hospital awhile ago and they said he went back to work. We just talked to him on the phone and he sounded bad. He’s still on oxygen and has a cough with trouble breathing. The doc said it could take six months to heal. He damaged his lungs. I guess the business would fold unless he did invoices so he has been going to work.

He didn’t get the vaccine. He waited too long to go to the hospital. When he got there they wanted to give him the Monoclonal antibodies covid drugs and have him sign a waver. He refused and left because he didn’t want to take experimental drugs. The next day he was really bad and went back and then signed the waver.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

As the Supreme Court is hearing arguments on the mandates. I saw this. I have not seen these claimed before.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 5638
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

She is so evil. She just wants to destroy America with her socialist agenda because she hates America.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

There is a reason your source didn't use quotes. She didn't say 100k kids are hospitalized. She didn't say Omicron is deadlier than Delta (she said it causes just as serious of illness in the unvaccinated as delta). She didn't say deaths are at an all time high (even though they are, because every day when 2,000 people die in the US the total is an all-time high). She said infections today are at higher rates than they were a year ago.

You think we all harp on your sources as a straw man argument, but it isn't. You don't even fact check the shit they spew before posting it here.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:13 pm
She is so evil. She just wants to destroy America with her socialist agenda because she hates America.
Your words, not mine, so don't try to kid and frame them as this is what I said or intimated.

I was going to ask if anyone can confirm this. I see that Indy has. Indy, are you watching the oral arguments right now? Do you have quotes? I'm curious.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

don't have time to watch/listen. I read quotes afterwards. Actual quotes, with actual quotation marks, from publications that have actual credentials.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
There is a reason your source didn't use quotes. She didn't say 100k kids are hospitalized.
What did she say about 100k kids?

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
She didn't say Omicron is deadlier than Delta (she said it causes just as serious of illness in the unvaccinated as delta).
I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Everything I've seen on the Omicron is that's it's much much less deadly.

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
She didn't say deaths are at an all time high (even though they are, because every day when 2,000 people die in the US the total is an all-time high).
Thanks for explaining what she was saying, because she didn't make herself clear as you would expect. Why are you doing this for a Supreme Court Justice?

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
She said infections today are at higher rates than they were a year ago.
I believe this is correct, and would not dispute this at all.

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
You think we all harp on your sources as a straw man argument, but it isn't. You don't even fact check the shit they spew before posting it here.
You ok, Indy? I'm sincerely glad you are feeling better and are back in here with your always jovial self. It's honestly not the same without you.

You can believe what you want. Where you listening to the arguments that were made? I just said that I hadn't seen those claims before. I admit that I didn't listen to her speak on this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 14023
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing is, go look at the Twitter timeline from that greg_price11 guy In2 cites as his source. He's a complete shithead Trumper troll. He has a tweet just a few down from that where he says that he has sources saying that Sotomayor is the dumbest person who has served on the Supreme Court in decades. Okay, sure. What an asshole. And honestly what a waste of all of our time to have to wade through such shitty low-quality "information" just to patiently explain yet again why it is garbage.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 8339
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

I don't follow this person, but I don't doubt the description of a Trumper troll. It is what it is. Twitter seems to be a place for a huge amount of trolls.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
ブランドンに行こう

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 14023
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

Dangerously dishonest.


Post Reply