Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
JeremyG

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pm
Again. It is believed that asymptomatic TRANSMISSION is insignificant in influenza. That’s what matters.
If it's insignificant then why does the CDC warn about it?

Also, it's absolutely incredible how people are characterizing me as "right-wing," "uneducated" (as if you have any idea what my education level is), and pro-Trump. And this is after I specifically stated in this thread that I am not pro-Trump. I am a libertarian-minded registered Independent who votes third-party (Gary Johnson in the last presidential election), and I am opposed to both Republicans and Democrats. I do not accept the left-right paradigm, but if you want to say it exists, then I am anti-right and anti-left.

I will definitely not be voting for Trump this year.
You can have 3 doctorate degrees and be a globally recognized leader in your field and still be uneducated when it comes to medicine and virology. Read the medical journals or at least some studies published in those journals before assuming you know more than physicians and clinical scientists and virologists on this.
The statement was not about being uneducated in one specialty such as virology, he literally said, “the uneducated sector of America that has found a voice through Trump.”

A lot of backtracking going on in this thread.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 pm
I can tell you that none of my colleagues, republican or democrat, who are physicians experiencing this pandemic firsthand are speaking of influenza and COVID as remotely similar. We all know another physician, friend or family who died of this just already. That’s not the case with influenza.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What a crackpot. But you can’t argue with all the doctors standing behind him in solidarity.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 pm
I can tell you that none of my colleagues, republican or democrat, who are physicians experiencing this pandemic firsthand are speaking of influenza and COVID as remotely similar. We all know another physician, friend or family who died of this just already. That’s not the case with influenza.
Yeah I knew it was a matter of time before you started using YouTube as your sources. I am an emergency medicine physician. I work in COVID, it is my life. I am surrounded by Democrats, Republicans, all different specialties from all different backgrounds. Not a single one of my colleagues feels this to be the case. This is a quack family medicine physician who’s extent of corona care is a YouTube video. Please. Next.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 pm
Again. It is believed that asymptomatic TRANSMISSION is insignificant in influenza. That’s what matters.
If it's insignificant then why does the CDC warn about it?

Also, it's absolutely incredible how people are characterizing me as "right-wing," "uneducated" (as if you have any idea what my education level is), and pro-Trump. And this is after I specifically stated in this thread that I am not pro-Trump. I am a libertarian-minded registered Independent who votes third-party (Gary Johnson in the last presidential election), and I am opposed to both Republicans and Democrats. I do not accept the left-right paradigm, but if you want to say it exists, then I am anti-right and anti-left.

I will definitely not be voting for Trump this year.
You can have 3 doctorate degrees and be a globally recognized leader in your field and still be uneducated when it comes to medicine and virology. Read the medical journals or at least some studies published in those journals before assuming you know more than physicians and clinical scientists and virologists on this.
The statement was not about being uneducated in one specialty such as virology, he literally said, “the uneducated sector of America that has found a voice through Trump.”

A lot of backtracking going on in this thread.
Yeah, it’s true. Trumps base as a whole is the sector of America that never graduated high school or college. He feeds off them. His fans are: the very wealthy who really only care about how he’s done for their pockets, and the largely uneducated white sector of America that is fooled by his fake Christianity and fake patriotism . It’s what I see, sorry. I don’t see reasonable, middle class folk turning even a pandemic into a war cry. It’s just quite honestly the dumbest thing I’ve ever witnessed.
Last edited by specialsauce on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 pm
Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm
WHO is saying today that asymptomatic transmission is rare now. Idk what is going on over there. Clown show. They also discouraged from wearing masks unless caring for a COVID patient, makes no sense.
Don't wear a mask. It won’t protect you if you are near someone with Covid but, if you are caring for someone with Covid make sure you wear a mask, it might help you not get it.

Clear as mud.
It’s totally ridiculous.

If you wear a mask but the person infected doesn’t, risk of transmission is still quite high. Both must be wearing a mask for effective control.

I see by the picture that you are much less likely to catch it if you and your clone are both wearing masks. :D

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
WHO is saying today that asymptomatic transmission is rare now. Idk what is going on over there. Clown show. They also discouraged from wearing masks unless caring for a COVID patient, makes no sense.
Don't wear a mask. It won’t protect you if you are near someone with Covid but, if you are caring for someone with Covid make sure you wear a mask, it might help you not get it.

Clear as mud.
It’s totally ridiculous.

If you wear a mask but the person infected doesn’t, risk of transmission is still quite high. Both must be wearing a mask for effective control.

I see by the picture that you are much less likely to catch it if you and your clone are both wearing masks. :D
:lol:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Clear as mud.
It’s totally ridiculous.

Annals of internal medicine published a study June 3rd that estimates somewhere between 30-45% of infections are transmitted by asymptomatic carriers, directly contrasting the WHO statement. Here’s the Time article covering it, with the link to the annals study in the article.

https://time.com/5848949/covid-19-asymptomatic-spread/

Indy

Post by Indy »

WHO is back-tracking because they are trying to get Trump to authorize their funding.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 am
WHO is back-tracking because they are trying to get Trump to authorize their funding.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/worl ... ticleShare

Just a circus act all around.

Now they’re backtracking on their backtracking as a result of backlash from the medical community.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ducey's Duplicity on COVID-19 Leads to a New Emerging Crisis

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/a ... ing-crisis

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:12 pm
Annals of internal medicine published...
Shout out to my favorite subscription for reading while on the toilet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:48 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Lollll

It’s annals, not anals, ya big nasty

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:48 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Lollll

It’s annals, not anals, ya big nasty
Hey, you don't know what his toilet reading consists of!
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Annals of internal medicine published a study June 3rd that estimates somewhere between 30-45% of infections are transmitted by asymptomatic carriers, directly contrasting the WHO statement. Here’s the Time article covering it, with the link to the annals study in the article.

Did you even look at the study? It found that 30-45% of cases were asymptomatic, it had nothing to do with asymptomatic transmission:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-3012
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 am
Indy wrote:

Now they’re backtracking on their backtracking as a result of backlash from the medical community.
The original WHO statement was not referring to pre-symptomatic transmission, since of course every common virus is transmissible before symptoms appear. The question, which the WHO believes requires more studying, is how often it is transmitted by truly asymptomatic individuals.
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:45 pm
Ducey's Duplicity on COVID-19 Leads to a New Emerging Crisis

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/a ... ing-crisis
Like I said about the curfew in the other thread, Ducey just does whatever his CEO buddies want him to do. They wanted the economy to reopen because it was hurting their businesses, so he unethically manipulated the numbers, by artificially lowering the positivity rate with his "testing blitzes." Of course I don't believe he ever had the authority to shut down the economy in the first place, nor do I think it was the right decision. But manipulating the data, and making people think it had peaked and the risks were gone is completely unethical.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Did you even look at the study? It found that 30-45% of cases were asymptomatic, it had nothing to do with asymptomatic transmission:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-3012
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 am
Indy wrote:

The original WHO statement was not referring to pre-symptomatic transmission, since of course every common virus is transmissible before symptoms appear. The question, which the WHO believes requires more studying, is how often it is transmitted by truly asymptomatic individuals.
You’re correct re: annals study. I did read it, misread their conclusion as asymptomatic transmission not infection. My mistake

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife is going bananas seeing all these stories and charts showing that AZ is becoming one of the fastest rising COVID-19 states, just as we prepare our visit to Tucson.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 am
My wife is going bananas seeing all these stories and charts showing that AZ is becoming one of the fastest rising COVID-19 states, just as we prepare our visit to Tucson.
I don’t blame her.