Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Racism in the US

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:55 am
And what could you be proud about? That would be like being a descendant of Benedict Arnold and proudly displaying his name/portraits every where you go.
Yeah, my go-to analogy is that it's like having a flag saying, "I love 9/11" with a photo of a heart and the towers blowing up.

The thing they are "proud" of, is racism.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How could any decent human being be proud of racism? I think I just answered my own question.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am
How is it Republicans today fantasize about the South rising again and fly the Confederate flag?
The thing that really blows my mind is that the Confederate flag is being flown proudly by extremists who aren't even in the South. People in the
Dakotas, in Oklahoma, in New England are flying it. You can't tell me that is about "Southern pride" or "celebrating local history."
This is one of the most unrealized parts of what I consider to be the Liberal center of the country, the West coast. Take a trip anywhere outside of the major metropolitan areas in California, Oregon, and Washington and you'll see plenty of narrow minded BS like Confederate flags and overtly racist attitudes.

Oregon in particular, where I've spent a fair number of years, is like a totally different world outside of Portland, Eugene and Ashland.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
How is it Republicans today fantasize about the South rising again and fly the Confederate flag?
The thing that really blows my mind is that the Confederate flag is being flown proudly by extremists who aren't even in the South. People in the
Dakotas, in Oklahoma, in New England are flying it. You can't tell me that is about "Southern pride" or "celebrating local history."
This is one of the most unrealized parts of what I consider to be the Liberal center of the country, the West coast. Take a trip anywhere outside of the major metropolitan areas in California, Oregon, and Washington and you'll see plenty of narrow minded BS like Confederate flags and overtly racist attitudes.

Oregon in particular, where I've spent a fair number of years, is like a totally different world outside of Portland, Eugene and Ashland.
Have you seen that movement to separate the northern part of California? They want to make their own state called Jefferson. A big part of it is that rural folks in northern CA feel that the big cities don't accurately represent their political views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... fic_state)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:43 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Have you seen that movement to separate the northern part of California? They want to make their own state called Jefferson. A big part of it is that rural folks in northern CA feel that the big cities don't accurately represent their political views.

You've gotta remember that these are simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know... morons.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Yeah, I learned about this when I first moved to Eugene almost 20 years ago. Some of my friends who were born and raised there didn't even know about it. :lol:

My first extended living experience in Oregon was working a summer job in 2003 in Roseburg, Oregon. For context, Roseburg is at the northern edge of 'Jefferson State'. It was the first time I had spent any considerable time outside of the greater Phoenix area not including vacations and it was a bit of culture shock.

I was used to hearing racist language towards Hispanics and even towards myself from them (white boy, cracker, etc.), but it never felt all that serious. Maybe it's because I befriended other kids from a spectrum of ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. I just thought of it all as kind of a joke.

Roseburg was, and still is, different. Everyone is white. Everyone is a gun owner. And they won't hesitate to tell you about using their gun for something other than hunting animals. They're also not joking. I later came to find out from a college friend that there was a sign stating something along the lines of "No Negroes Allowed" next to the I-5 highway as people drove into the Roseburg area well into the 1970's. I haven't been able to find proof of this online today, but I sadly wouldn't really doubt it.

Here's a great piece about the history of Oregon and race.
https://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded- ... 1539567040

This is a much darker piece about the realities of the Southern Oregon communities. There are more people like this POS than one would typically imagine.
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-nort ... oot_3.html
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Yeah, I learned about this when I first moved to Eugene almost 20 years ago. Some of my friends who were born and raised there didn't even know about it. :lol:

My first extended living experience in Oregon was working a summer job in 2003 in Roseburg, Oregon. For context, Roseburg is at the northern edge of 'Jefferson State'. It was the first time I had spent any considerable time outside of the greater Phoenix area not including vacations and it was a bit of culture shock.

I was used to hearing racist language towards Hispanics and even towards myself from them (white boy, cracker, etc.), but it never felt all that serious. Maybe it's because I befriended other kids from a spectrum of ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. I just thought of it all as kind of a joke.

Roseburg was, and still is, different. Everyone is white. Everyone is a gun owner. And they won't hesitate to tell you about using their gun for something other than hunting animals. They're also not joking. I later came to find out from a college friend that there was a sign stating something along the lines of "No Negroes Allowed" next to the I-5 highway as people drove into the Roseburg area well into the 1970's. I haven't been able to find proof of this online today, but I sadly wouldn't really doubt it.

Here's a great piece about the history of Oregon and race.
https://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded- ... 1539567040

This is a much darker piece about the realities of the Southern Oregon communities. There are more people like this POS than one would typically imagine.
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-nort ... oot_3.html
It is a well known fact that cities in general vote Democrat and rural areas vote Republican. They are almost like two different worlds they live in. We are all just people though. There is no city gene or rural gene. We are all the sum of our surroundings. We have more in common than differences. It’s all our best interests to pay off the debt, have health care and a strong military. We let ourselves be led by people who have no morals.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:37 pm
You've gotta remember that these are simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know... morons.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

You know how Boston is the racist big city in America? I feel like Oregon is that for a state not in the south.

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:53 am
He got close to a cop. You test a cop, they'll kill you. That's the law.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty crazy that the protests are still going strong, and that cops are still attacking and hurting protestors, after all that's happened and all the other bad clips that have gone viral.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 pm
Pretty crazy that the protests are still going strong, and that cops are still attacking and hurting protestors, after all that's happened and all the other bad clips that have gone viral.
but there is (almost) no consequence for a cop behaving this way. Even if they end up getting fired (not just re-assigned), it is easy to go over to the adjoining jurisdiction and get a job there. I personally know cops that have done that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You guys following this stuff going on in Portland? Federal law enforcement officers in camo uniforms with no ID or badges are apprehending peaceful protestors and putting them into unmarked minivans and taking them away to detention cells. Apparently it's coming from the order of the President and the acting Homeland Security secretary.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-accused- ... nt-1518595
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/07/16/o ... ion-stunt/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... g-america/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Was reading up on it today...probably the same group that was in DC a few weeks ago...Trump and Barr's "special police". These guys need to go and all of this needs to be investigated.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was impressed that FOX News actually did a nice story on John Lewis passing. I also noticed they shut down the comment section on that story, which was wise. It would be a bad look if all their viewers called him racists names. If you go to The Hill you will see a lot of racists comments. To be fair I am not sure how many are actual Americans and not foreign trolls seeking to divide.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Was reading up on it today...probably the same group that was in DC a few weeks ago...Trump and Barr's "special police". These guys need to go and all of this needs to be investigated.
Portlands Mayor told Trump to get his troops out and Dems have called for an investigation. Investigations seem to be a waste of time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd like to see Biden win in November and some real investigations and accountability take place but I'm not holding my breath.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:00 am
I was impressed that FOX News actually did a nice story on John Lewis passing. I also noticed they shut down the comment section on that story, which was wise. It would be a bad look if all their viewers called him racists names. If you go to The Hill you will see a lot of racists comments. To be fair I am not sure how many are actual Americans and not foreign trolls seeking to divide.
Good on FOX but that last part is scary as hell. It's hard to tell which way is up anymore.
"Be Legendary."