Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Racism in the US

Post by Mori Chu »

It amazes me that the Confederate flag is still praised and defended in this country. It's like if people celebrated 9/11 or something, with flags to celebrate Osama bin Laden.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I liken it more to the Union Jack. Imagine a portion of the country flying and waving that flag and calling it heritage or history because of the British colonies and settlers whom we fought against and kicked out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Who? I don't THANK so. He was joking, right? No, I'm serious. I think he was. Went and read the comments and I'm pretty sure he was.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, that sounded like sarcasm to me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:13 am
Yeah, that sounded like sarcasm to me.
Especially if you watch to the very end.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Brent Terhune is a comedian. He's mocking a stereotype of a redneck Trump supporter.

https://www.wamc.org/post/how-comedian- ... nt-terhune

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea he posts a lot of satirical videos.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sounds like a fun gig.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 am
It amazes me that the Confederate flag is still praised and defended in this country. It's like if people celebrated 9/11 or something, with flags to celebrate Osama bin Laden.
It amazes me that that the Republican party was formed to end slavery. They ended up in a Civil War because they felt so strongly about it. The flag they pledged allegiance to was the Stars and Stripes. The South (Democrats) were in favor of slavery and ended up in a Civil War because they felt so strongly about it. The flag they pledged allegiance to was the confederate flag.

How is it Republicans today fantasize about the South rising again and fly the Confederate flag?

Democrats were pro slavery during the Civil war and I’m pretty sure they started the KKK.

Somewhere along the line they switched name tags.

Democrats History Channel
https://www.history.com/topics/us-polit ... atic-party

Republicans
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... ty-founded

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is a well done and eye opening video:

It’s a little long so if you’re struggling to watch it all, at least jump to 16:15.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

OK, I care. What next?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:46 am
OK, I care. What next?
You just did it. Keep asking questions and then act on them.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I really didn't want to click on that website link. Could you please provide a short bit of context so I could find other sources myself next time?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:00 am
I really didn't want to click on that website link. Could you please provide a short bit of context so I could find other sources myself next time?
Lol, sure - I thought I might get some blow back on that website (I follow it on Twitter, to try to stay balanced - though more often than not I just get irritated):

"The company is saying that Duke, Spencer and blogger Stefan Molyneux were banned due to their violation of the supremacy policy, per The Guardian. YouTube also banned Spencer’s Radix organization, as well as two accounts belonging to the American Renaissance".

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm glad that social media companies are starting to ban racist content.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's about time.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea about 10-15 years too late but hopefully they really crack down. I dont think hate speech is free speech and the spread of those ideas and ideaologies thru social media is extremely dangerous. And more and more you see people rationalizing it as if it's a legitimate argument, both sides-ing stuff online.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How is it Republicans today fantasize about the South rising again and fly the Confederate flag?
The thing that really blows my mind is that the Confederate flag is being flown proudly by extremists who aren't even in the South. People in the
Dakotas, in Oklahoma, in New England are flying it. You can't tell me that is about "Southern pride" or "celebrating local history."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am
The thing that really blows my mind is that the Confederate flag is being flown proudly by extremists who aren't even in the South. People in the
Dakotas, in Oklahoma, in New England are flying it. You can't tell me that is about "Southern pride" or "celebrating local history."
And what could you be proud about? That would be like being a descendant of Benedict Arnold and proudly displaying his name/portraits every where you go.