Racism in the US

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Racism in the US

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t catch that part.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So they are saying the only reason there are black pilots is because the Left forced them to hire black pilots and that those pilots most likely aren’t qualified to fly airplanes? They aren’t qualified because they didn’t go through proper training or are they saying they aren’t qualified because they are black? I think I know the answer already.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They're racist, is what it is. There's a lot of complaining about "DEI" lately from right-wingers and buffoons in their orbit like Musk. But basically it all comes back to "black/brown people bad, I don't like them."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No, their argument is that instead of prioritizing the best and most qualified, they are prioritizing diversity and inclusion. So, you won't get the most qualified or best pilots. They don't believe that the color of your skin should ever be considered over quality of the candidate regardless of their color. If the absolute best candidates or even only candidates that are qualified are of another race and/or gender, that's fine. Just that color or gender shouldn't be the first thing considered when finding pilots.

It's pretty on brand to immediately frame this as them being racist, and idk perhaps a lot of people are. I for one, could care less what color someone is or what gender they are. It's not important to me at all, as everyone is beautiful and no one is inherently better than anyone else. No one can control to whom or where they were born.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What's racist is to assume someone is unqualified because they are a minority, which is what he is saying in the clip.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, to assume that someone is unqualified because of their race or gender is wrong. I don't think anyone would, if DEI wasn't specifically being pushed as a priority over quality of applicants. That's the problem.

If I was in charge of a Quantum Cold Fusion Power plant, and I said that we don't have enough trans pygmies or disabled little people represented and working in the this new power plant. Then I said that our quota is tied to having half of our new hires be this. Am I trying to find the best people to work at this place? Am I prioritizing ability, competence and safety of the public above anything else in my hiring process? It certainly wouldn't seem to be. Perception that you are going after only the very best for the job is needed to public trust. Am I wrong?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Was slavery practiced regularly in California history?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:02 am
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... California
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Tell me you've never worked a retail job in California without telling me.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm
In2ition wrote:
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... California
From the wiki article, are they going to be giving reperations to indeginous people, as they represent far and away the vast majority of slaves?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:29 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tell me you've never worked a retail job in California without telling me.
Haha, no I've never lived in California. I'm sure everyone that's worked in retail thinks it's some type of soft slavery.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was a telemarketer in Los Angeles while going to school. That’s worse than retail.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:33 pm
I was a telemarketer in Los Angeles while going to school. That’s worse than retail.
It's not. Especially on the management end.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow!

And Chapman nailed it:

“Weirdly Al Campainis was before his time. If he said this stuff today he would be celebrated by the far right and speaking at CPAC.“
"Be Legendary."