Beirut explosion

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Beirut explosion

Post by Mori Chu »

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/89896993 ... ng-windows

There was a huge explosion today in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed around 50 people and injured thousands more. It could be seen for miles and heard for over 100+ miles. People are saying it's one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions in human history.

What exploded, and what caused it? People are still trying to figure it out. Apparently what blew up was a warehouse containing many tons of ammonium nitrate (why?), which may have ignited due to a nearby fire.

President Trump has already gone on TV and said that he thinks it was a bomb or an attack of some kind. Trump claims "his generals" told him that. Not clear whether that is genuine US intel or just Trump mouth vomit.

Indy

Re: Beirut explosion

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:03 pm
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/89896993 ... ng-windows

There was a huge explosion today in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed around 50 people and injured thousands more. It could be seen for miles and heard for over 100+ miles. People are saying it's one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions in human history.

What exploded, and what caused it? People are still trying to figure it out. Apparently what blew up was a warehouse containing many tons of ammonium nitrate (why?), which may have ignited due to a nearby fire.

President Trump has already gone on TV and said that he thinks it was a bomb or an attack of some kind. Trump claims "his generals" told him that. Not clear whether that is genuine US intel or just Trump mouth vomit.
how fucking ridiculous is it that there is even a question of validity when potus says the military told him a huge bomb when off? well, i guess i am old enough to remember the wmd discussion in iraq, but still. fucking crazy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mr. Wartime President is mostly sure it was a bomb.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Reminds me of a similar explosion in Tianjin, China some 5-6 years ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

That isn’t showing anything for me. Is it this tweet?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Similar but a bit closer to the explosion.

Early reports are this explosion was around an equivalent of 100 tons of TNT. By comparison, the explosion I referred to in China was 337 tons.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I heard it was a fireworks place that went up. The video shows the first fire with what appears to be fireworks or small arms going off. Then a much larger explosion goes off that they say was ammonium nitrate and is fertilizer/bomb material.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've seen a few different angles/videos and there are definitely smaller explosions going off prior to the larger explosion. It seems that there were 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in that warehouse for the past few years. Haven't seen definitive statements about what set the explosion off.

It's crazy tho how everyone's an expert on Twitter and claiming to know "what really happened" based on the videos. Some are absolutely sure it was an atomic explosion because of the mushroom cloud they saw and things are being covered up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:57 am
I've seen a few different angles/videos and there are definitely smaller explosions going off prior to the larger explosion. It seems that there were 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in that warehouse for the past few years. Haven't seen definitive statements about what set the explosion off.

It's crazy tho how everyone's an expert on Twitter and claiming to know "what really happened" based on the videos. Some are absolutely sure it was an atomic explosion because of the mushroom cloud they saw and things are being covered up.
mushroom clouds are not indicative of nuclear explosions, just huge ones. love reading experts on twitter. :)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Tell that to the Twitter explosives experts.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

jEt FuEl CaNt MeLt StEeL

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:44 pm
jEt FuEl CaNt MeLt StEeL
That one always makes me crazy. The idea that the amount of energy in a gallon of jet fuel is the same as the amount of energy in 100,000 gallons is just so... stupid.