Democratic Convention

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Democratic Convention

Post by Superbone »

Big week and big night tonight!

https://www.demconvention.com/

Let's go! Let's get this country back on track.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: Democratic Convention

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched only parts of Night 1. My quick thoughts:

- The message clearly is that Biden is a unifier, a man who unites the party under a very big tent. There are not many candidates who can earn the endorsement of both Bernie Sanders and John Kasich, of AOC and Mitt Romney. There is room in this party for everyone.

- Michelle Obama's speech was the highlight. She made clear why there is such urgency to get Trump out of office. Lots of good quotes from her speech, including her use of Trump's recent phrase, "It is what it is" used back at him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think conventions are just really long commercials, so I never watch them. I do try and catch the highlights the next day.

That said, I did watch Obama's speech. She is everything we need in a leader. Too bad she realizes how awful politics is and stays as far away as her heart will let her.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:01 am
I think conventions are just really long commercials, so I never watch them. I do try and catch the highlights the next day.

That said, I did watch Obama's speech. She is everything we need in a leader. Too bad she realizes how awful politics is and stays as far away as her heart will let her.
I like Michelle Obama a lot, but there's something to be said for experience. I think Trump has shown that electing someone President who has not served in any elected office before is very risky. If Michelle wanted to run for Congress or mayor or governor and then work her way up, I would support it more. The path Hillary Clinton took is a great example; she had some flaws and issues of her own, but she was extremely experienced and qualified for the job of POTUS.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:01 am

I like Michelle Obama a lot, but there's something to be said for experience. I think Trump has shown that electing someone President who has not served in any elected office before is very risky. If Michelle wanted to run for Congress or mayor or governor and then work her way up, I would support it more. The path Hillary Clinton took is a great example; she had some flaws and issues of her own, but she was extremely experienced and qualified for the job of POTUS.
The troubles we are facing in this country because of Trump have nothing to do with the fact he hasn't been elected to a lower office. It has to do with his corrupt nature, his racism, his sexism, his nepotism, and his tendency to always surround himself with yes-men. It also helps that we have Citizens United to support a huge push from foreign and domestic money into things like the Federalist Society and NRA that drives lobbying and money into the campaigns of anyone willing to look the other way while they get richer.

Several presidents were never elected to public service before becoming POTUS. Washington, Grant and Eisenhower come to mind--all military men.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, there is no doubt that Obama's speech was the highlight of the night. She hit Trump where it hurts!

Also, if you missed this, check it out. Imagine what it would be like to have the next President have empathy for his fellow man and be a good father to his children:

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Never understood the point of conventions. Has anybody’s mind ever been changed by a convention? It’s a giant circle jerk.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I officially announces their candidate and is intended to fire up the base right before the election.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 pm
Never understood the point of conventions. Has anybody’s mind ever been changed by a convention? It’s a giant circle jerk.
Sure they have. Haven’t you heard of undecideds?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
It isn't for people from the other party. It is to try and encourage more people from your own party to vote. (It is ridiculous that anyone has to encourage people to vote... We haven't had even 2/3rds turn out in over 100 years. We barely get above 50% anymore.)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 am
specialsauce wrote:
It isn't for people from the other party. It is to try and encourage more people from your own party to vote. (It is ridiculous that anyone has to encourage people to vote... We haven't had even 2/3rds turn out in over 100 years. We barely get above 50% anymore.)
Even worse. Who is going to watch that wasn’t planning on voting? I vote every time and I’ve never watched

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 am
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Even worse. Who is going to watch that wasn’t planning on voting? I vote every time and I’ve never watched
same. And I doubt many likely non-voters will watch. I wasn't saying it was a good thing, just why they do it.

But I will say that the coverage it gets might be enough to make someone that only votes sometimes be more likely to get out if they are excited by seeing someone they respect/think highly of nudging them to do so.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:05 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 am
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
same. And I doubt many likely non-voters will watch. I wasn't saying it was a good thing, just why they do it.

But I will say that the coverage it gets might be enough to make someone that only votes sometimes be more likely to get out if they are excited by seeing someone they respect/think highly of nudging them to do so.
Yeah understood, it’s just silly to me

Indy

Post by Indy »

Same. Obviously meant a lot more before TV, 24 hour news coverage, and the internet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't think it's silly. Nothing wrong with getting amped up about the next president of the United States. Especially when we're in the toxic environment we're in now. Might get you off your butt and recruiting others to vote.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There are so many that don't think their vote counts. But they're wrong. If they all go to the effort to vote, it can make a big difference.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We barely get 50% of eligible voters to vote in this country.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And I don't think conventions help move the needle much. Most Americans do not care enough to vote, and a ton of others are prevented/discouraged from voting (or have their vote rendered meaningless due to gerrymandering).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A common fallacy with all these rah-rah political thingies is to think they are about persuasion. In many cases they are about activation and enthusiasm. There are some potential voters who are liberal but might feel kind of "meh" about Biden. Things like the conventions and debates can convince those voters to get up and go to the polls rather than staying home. I agree that very few people watch a convention and flip from one party/candidate to the other because of it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

But there are undecideds. These conventions could be the difference.
"Be Legendary."