The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: The RNC

Post by 3rdside »

The assassination of the nuclear scientist in Iran:

https://www.cityam.com/an-assassination ... ign=buffer

Interesting take - positive words for Trump, seems to cast doubts on Obama's approach, is clear that it was a deliberate move by Trump (or Pompeo at least) to make things difficult for Biden to bring back Obama's approach.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yes, Trump going way out of his way to make things difficult for Biden in a very non Democrat way. Is Putin in office or Trump. I can’t tell the difference.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:38 am
Yes, Trump going way out of his way to make things difficult for Biden in a very non Democrat way. Is Putin in office or Trump. I can’t tell the difference.
Well, one 'won' re-election and one did not. :lol:

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

A reminder of how it all started going so wrong - old article, even more infuriating to read the second time around.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... me/570832/

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

What a f***ing idiot.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

And another one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, that is a giant mess and needs to be fixed ASAP. So many people (especially at-risk people) rely on the post office. And I don't mean to get letters from grand kids. Life saving medicine and checks to keep themselves fed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump appointed a bunch of saboteurs into federal government positions. Often the people leading the orgs were explicitly on record as wanting to dismantle or break those orgs. DeJoy is such a person. He should be out immediately. I don't think Biden wants to fire him; he wants to fill USPS Board vacancies and then have the Board vote to remove him. Then he would not be as nakedly abusing executive power. I think he'd have the votes once he gets his people on the Board, but how long will that take? And what damage will DeJoy cause in the meantime?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think he can fire him. The USPS Board has to do that. But he can fire the board. At least, that is how I understand it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Then how did Trump just put him there in the first place?

Indy

Post by Indy »

The board did, not officially Trump. He can nominate/recommend, but the governing board chooses the post master general. And the board is required to be bi-partisan.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I mean, trump and Brexit confirmed this world isn’t all that clever or sane, but Gingrich takes the cake for me .. who thinks the way to “keep America from dying” is through extreme antagonism, false accusation, lying, and hypocrisy?

You run a company or a family like that it’s DOA, so there is no sane basis anyone could possibly think running a nation that way would produce different results.

That a single, narrow minded, dangerous idiot has been allowed to wreak havoc on an entire nation is the tragedy in all this, the only saving grace I guess is that idiots don’t win (even though they can cause a world of trouble in the process - in USA’s case it literally could be the end of it, literally the opposite of Gingrich’s stated intention).

Moron.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gingrich is irrelevant and has been for a long time. No one listens to him, takes orders from him, or listens to what he says.

If all Biden can do is replace the board with his cronies to vote out DeJoy(I could care less, btw), then how is that not nakedly abusing executive power, just like he's done in his first month?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am
Gingrich is irrelevant and has been for a long time. No one listens to him, takes orders from him, or listens to what he says.

If all Biden can do is replace the board with his cronies to vote out DeJoy(I could care less, btw), then how is that not nakedly abusing executive power, just like he's done in his first month?
It is amazing to me that you think Biden using exec orders is abusing power but didn't say a word about it when Trump was doing it. Well, not amazing I guess.

Why do you not care if the post office works? Millions of people rely on it to stay alive and well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am

It is amazing to me that you think Biden using exec orders is abusing power but didn't say a word about it when Trump was doing it. Well, not amazing I guess.

Why do you not care if the post office works? Millions of people rely on it to stay alive and well.
It is amazing to me that you think Trump used exec orders over 4 yrs was abusing power but don't say a word about it when Biden signed nearly as many in his first week. Well, not amazing I guess.

I don't care if DeJoy is voted out. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough. Hence the parentheses after DeJoy's name.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They all argue about executive orders. Trump blasted Obama for using executive orders and then went crazy with them himself. Biden as far as I know has used most of his executive orders to reverse Trumps executive orders. Now it’s the GOP’s turn to tell us Biden shouldn’t use executive orders. It’s all a stupid game played out over and over and over and over.. Our job is to act surprised.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thank god Biden is doing what he's doing.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Unfortunately the trend for many years now has been for the President to govern largely by executive order and to get quasi-legislation passed through budget reconciliation, rather than having Congress pass actual laws by an up/down vote. I think this is really bad, and I wish it would be fixed, but this is where we are. I don't think Biden has abused any power whatsoever; if you think that, I'd love to know where you were for the past 4 years when Trump did exactly the same thing, helping pass only 1-2 noteworthy pieces of legislation in his term as President but instead passing a ton of executive orders. Trump was much worse in terms of abusing the power of the executive; he also refused to submit his cabinet members for congressional approval, instead making them "acting" indefinitely. He abused the congressional budget and often reallocated it for things he wanted, such as his wall. He ignored congressional oversight. He instituted sweeping policies that were not in the interest of the American people, such as banning folks from Muslim countries from entering the US and torturing immigrants and refugees in camps at the border. Biden has penned several exec. orders in his first month, many of which were direct deletions and refutations of Trump's own exec. orders, but I really don't think he has done anything drastic or excessive.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:14 am
Thank god Biden is doing what he's doing.
What's been good, that you are thanking your god?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am
Unfortunately the trend for many years now has been for the President to govern largely by executive order and to get quasi-legislation passed through budget reconciliation, rather than having Congress pass actual laws by an up/down vote. I think this is really bad, and I wish it would be fixed, but this is where we are. I don't think Biden has abused any power whatsoever; if you think that, I'd love to know where you were for the past 4 years when Trump did exactly the same thing, helping pass only 1-2 noteworthy pieces of legislation in his term as President but instead passing a ton of executive orders. Trump was much worse in terms of abusing the power of the executive; he also refused to submit his cabinet members for congressional approval, instead making them "acting" indefinitely. He abused the congressional budget and often reallocated it for things he wanted, such as his wall. He ignored congressional oversight. He instituted sweeping policies that were not in the interest of the American people, such as banning folks from Muslim countries from entering the US and torturing immigrants and refugees in camps at the border. Biden has penned several exec. orders in his first month, many of which were direct deletions and refutations of Trump's own exec. orders, but I really don't think he has done anything drastic or excessive.
What did Trump do at the border that makes you think he's been torturing immigrants and refugees in the camps?

Which EOs Joe has signed do you think were good and which one's, if any, do you disagree with?