The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Nodack »

KNEWZ EXCLUSIVE: Paul Manafort Denied Flight To Dubai Over Revoked Passport
https://knewz.com/knewz-exclusive-paul- ... -passport/

New York - Former Donald Trump presidential campaign chair and once-convicted felon Paul Manafort was removed from a Miami flight bound for Dubai on March 20, officials confirmed.

A Republican-led Senate group found that Manafort was a “grave counterintelligence threat,” according to USA Today. He had longstanding ties to people affiliated with Russian intelligence and had a willingness to share information with them during the 2016 presidential race.

The panel found that Manafort’s presence on the campaign created opportunities for Russian intelligence to have influence over and inquire information about the Trump campaign.

Paul Manafort was 'a grave counterintelligence threat,' Republican-led Senate panel finds
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 390437001/
WASHINGTON – Paul Manafort's role as chairman of the Trump campaign, his longstanding ties to people affiliated with Russian intelligence services and his willingness to share information with them "represented a grave counterintelligence threat" during the 2016 presidential race, according to a new report from the Senate Intelligence Committee.

"The Committee found that Manafort's presence on the Campaign and proximity to Trump created opportunities for Russian intelligence services to exert influence over, and acquire confidential information on, the Trump campaign," according to the nearly 1,000-page report released Tuesday.

The wide-ranging, bipartisan report gives a comprehensive account of contacts between Russian actors and Trump associates, including Manafort and Donald Trump Jr., the president's eldest son. It confirms the findings by former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation that Russia sought to sway the 2016 race in Trump's favor and that members of the president's campaign were eager beneficiaries of the effort, although there was no evidence of a conspiracy with the Kremlin.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:42 am
Uh, okay. This GOP senator has some interesting thoughts on interracial marriage.

I know it is weird for me to think of it this way, but until that senator was 13 years old, you couldn't legally marry if you were any part black and your spouse wasn't. Like we sending astronauts to space and people still couldn't marry across race. It is nuts.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Uh, okay. This GOP senator has some interesting thoughts on interracial marriage.

Why are we still talking about interracial marriage? I feel like this thing has been decided for like a 100 yrs now.

What's next? Are we going to relitigate indentured servitude and slavery now? It's abhorrent and ridiculous. I didn't even watch the clip.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Why are we still talking about interracial marriage? I feel like this thing has been decided for like a 100 yrs now.

What's next? Are we going to relitigate indentured servitude and slavery now? It's abhorrent and ridiculous. I didn't even watch the clip.
The average age in the Senate is 64. That means the average senator lived in a US where interracial marriage was illegal. And this idiot thinks it should be up to each state to decide if people are allowed to do it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:37 am
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

The average age in the Senate is 64. That means the average senator lived in a US where interracial marriage was illegal. And this idiot thinks it should be up to each state to decide if people are allowed to do it.
Ugh
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The government deciding whom can marry whom. That's not George Orwellian or anything.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:

I appreciate you calling him out despite him being in the same party as you. In response to your question, we are still talking about this because a few bad folks are still talking about it and have backward discriminatory views. IMO they should be voted out of positions of power in our government.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:41 pm
In2ition wrote:

I appreciate you calling him out despite him being in the same party as you. In response to your question, we are still talking about this because a few bad folks are still talking about it and have backward discriminatory views. IMO they should be voted out of positions of power in our government.
I'm to the point where every single incumbent needs to get the boot. Doesn't matter what party they belong to. It's hard to find any good ones there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:49 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I'm to the point where every single incumbent needs to get the boot. Doesn't matter what party they belong to. It's hard to find any good ones there.
I agree that they all get way too comfortable. We need more turnaround.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It is really hard to be good at a job without ever doing it before. I mean I am not in favor of senators that have been there for 40 years, but I am also not in favor of term limits. It takes time to practice your craft, build relationships, and manage the weight of your decisions/work.

(Honestly, all of this would be fixed if you got dark money out of politics.)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It is really hard to be good at a job without ever doing it before. I mean I am not in favor of senators that have been there for 40 years, but I am also not in favor of term limits. It takes time to practice your craft, build relationships, and manage the weight of your decisions/work.

(Honestly, all of this would be fixed if you got dark money out of politics.)
Dark money? Does that include the money that they launder back to themselve in foreign aid? Does it include the money they make from insider trading?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Dark Money is mostly used as a term for the collection of undisclosed political contributions from groups like The Federalist Society. It essentially hides the identity of who's running (funding) those groups, and in recent extreme cases hand picking political appointments.

Once again, thanks to the Citizens United legislation.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is a clear link between the Federalist Society and the uprising of white supremacy and fascism in the United States.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If you believe that Dark Money is the only bad money that needs to be removed, I hate to break it to you, but nothing will change.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No one said that. We're just providing a definition of how the term is being used in politics.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy intimated that when he said, "Honestly, all of this would be fixed if you got dark money out of politics."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Citizens United was a catastrophe for American democracy. Undo that, and ban Congressmen/others from stock trading, and keep closing corruption loopholes like that. That would be a huge start. We let these guys get away with way too much. They work for us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It would be a start, but doesn't fix a large amount of ways of corruption. $500K per painting of a novice new undiscovered artist by non-disclosed buyers anyone?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am
It would be a start, but doesn't fix a large amount of ways of corruption. $500K per painting of a novice new undiscovered artist by non-disclosed buyers anyone?
Yeah, I hate that sort of thing, too. I don't know legally the best way one would deal with it. Being in politics shouldn't force one's entire family to be subject to a bunch of weird restrictions, I don't think. But it's clearly concerning when a major politician's spouse, child, sibling, etc. gets some kind of sweetheart deal that is obviously meant to curry favor or influence. I wish I knew of a simple solution. And it doesn't really work to address these things at the ballot box since they don't bubble up enough to affect things.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »