The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Nodack »

So ridiculous that people fall for this BS.

Satanic panic is making a comeback, fueled by QAnon believers and GOP influencers
Baseless accusations are branding people as satanist pedophiles at the speed of the internet — just ask a GOP prosecutor who recently lost re-election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/s ... -rcna38795
PROVO, Utah — On June 1, David Leavitt, the prosecuting attorney for Utah County, stood behind a lectern in his windowless Provo office before a gaggle of reporters. Wearing a gray suit and an exasperated look, he wanted to make something categorically clear: Neither he nor his wife were guilty of murdering or cannibalizing young children.

While the current obsession with Satan was boosted in part by the QAnon community, partisan media and conservative politicians have been instrumental in spreading newfound fears over the so-called ritualistic abuse of children that the devil supposedly inspires, sometimes weaving the allegations together with other culture war issues such as LGBTQ rights. Those fears are powering fresh accusations of ritual abuse online, which are amplified on social media and by partisan media, and can mobilize mobs to seek vigilante justice.

The rumors started on YouTube when Nicholas Rossi, an American who has been accused of faking his death and escaping to Scotland to evade rape charges in Utah, posted videos in which he accused Leavitt and his wife of leading a “ritual sex abuse cult.” Leavitt was overseeing an effort to extradite and prosecute Rossi.

The accusations were part of a new case from Utah County Sheriff Mike Smith. Smith, who backed Leavitt’s opponent, had just announced he was opening an investigation into “ritualistic child sexual abuse from as far back as 1990.”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green, R-Ga., credited the devil with whispering to women who choose to have abortions and controlling churches who aid undocumented immigrants. In June, she tweeted a video of a man dressed as the devil, stating that the mythical creature would be the next witness called by the House Jan. 6 committee. “They all know him, they all love him, and some even worship him,” she wrote.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These people are dangerous. This is the kind of authoritarian shit they will do if you ever give them power again.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:18 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:15 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:54 am
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.
Have you seen what Jerry is up to lately?
What did I miss?
probably for the politics thread...
Spoiler: show/hide
Hmm, I hadn't seen that. Do you mean just his typical donations to whoever the GOP nominees are or has he made actual endorsements/comments supporting them?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:38 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:54 am
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.
What did I miss?
Hmm, I hadn't seen that. Do you mean just his typical donations to whoever the GOP nominees are or has he made actual endorsements/comments supporting them?
He came out and officially endorsed Lake.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:38 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

What did I miss?
He came out and officially endorsed Lake.
Yikes, I hadn't seen that. I don't remember him doing that in any previous elections.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That video came from this page. I enjoyed the videos. I got a laugh out of the poll questions they asked people and their responses.

How a zombie apocalypse is informing a new wave of Dem ads
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/2 ... s-00057986
Respondents were asked if the Democratic and Republican parties were a touch, feel, or texture, which would they be, and why? Things that came to mind when people thought of Democrats were cotton, suede and hugs. Republicans elicited coarser materials like sandpaper, corduroy, and dollar bills slapping a person across the face, the research showed.

Indeed, a common image that emerged of Democrats was that of a cuddly bunny (Republicans were described as sinister clowns).

“We’re cute. We’re cuddly but ultimately, we’re ineffectual,” Mushovic said. “You just don’t bring a bunny to a gunfight.”

Among the other questions asked:

Which party would you rather hold power of attorney over your finances? Fifty-five percent of independents chose Republicans, whom they argued would be more frugal with it.

Which political party would you rather be on a desert island with? Eighty-three percent of independents chose Democrats, contending they would make better company.

And, finally, they asked which party would you rather be in charge during a zombie apocalypse? Among independents, Republicans won this one, too: Sixty percent to Democrats’ 30 percent, with 10 percent choosing a combination of both.

Some of the answers the firm half-anticipated — such as the respondent who said they would hate for Democrats to be in charge during the zombie apocalypse because they would stop to ask the zombies their preferred pronouns. Other responses, though, were less predictable. One white man said if it were merely about surviving the zombie apocalypse, he’d have chosen the Republicans. But as he began thinking about the broader community, he worried they’d leave many of the others behind.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AOC is constantly fending off death threats from extremist Republicans. She spends essentially 100% of her salary on it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Fetterman has good people doing his ads.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The latest buzzword the GOP uses is to refer to the current administration as the "Biden regime."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:32 pm
These people are dangerous. This is the kind of authoritarian shit they will do if you ever give them power again.

This is one of the most scary things I've seen in quite a while.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They are just straight up saying they will violate American democracy at this point.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How politicians can stand up and blatantly lie in front of people for political gain in a way that destroys credibility in our system of government makes my stomach turn. I have a total disdain for these people. They know exactly what they are doing. They know they are lying and they know they are destroying Democracy and they just don’t care.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans openly embrace the Great Replacement Theory.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans are fascists. They do not respect Democrat-won elections and try to seize power by any means. Exhibit #123456:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Arizona is officially off my list of retirement destinations.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

GOP House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy indicates that if the Republicans take the House majority next month, they will cut off US aid to Ukraine. So spiteful and evil.