The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: The RNC

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Gingrich is irrelevant now, sure, but that's not the point. The article makes clear the genesis of the extreme partisan problem of today is much to do with him back in the 70's and 80's - did you even read it?
On your suggestion, I went back and read it. I'm at work, and that was a long f'n article...lol. Not your fault. I'm a really slow reader, as I have a bit of dyslexia. I'm feeling a little guilty for taking the time out to read that whole thing, haha.

Perhaps it's true, that Newt was the genesis of partisan politics. It's not great right now, but I wouldn't say that Newt is driving the agenda or policy in the GOP, nor would I say that he's making politics better or worse. I just don't think that the people that are making it hostile and partisan are even thinking about Newt, feeling pride in him, or even gives him a nod of thanks or anything like that.
Maybe Newt wasn't the first; I am sure there were beta versions before him. But he was current GOP v1.0. McConnell is basically Newt v4.0.
You really think this? I think McConnell is happy to play as the underdog and loves the business as usual or just loves being an obstructionist. Either way, his days are numbered, imo.
I am not sure what makes you say he likes being an underdog. He has wielded more power as the majority leader than any house or senate member of my lifetime. He isn't an obstructionist, unless he is stopping the other party from doing something. He moves quickly and decisively if it supports his party (and his judges, his reelection, election of other GOP senators to keep his majority seat, etc.).

And you keep saying his days are numbered but I am not sure why you think that. As you said, there are very few ways to remove a sitting senator. Maybe you know something about his health that we don't?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Gingrich is irrelevant now, sure, but that's not the point. The article makes clear the genesis of the extreme partisan problem of today is much to do with him back in the 70's and 80's - did you even read it?
On your suggestion, I went back and read it. I'm at work, and that was a long f'n article...lol. Not your fault. I'm a really slow reader, as I have a bit of dyslexia. I'm feeling a little guilty for taking the time out to read that whole thing, haha.

Perhaps it's true, that Newt was the genesis of partisan politics. It's not great right now, but I wouldn't say that Newt is driving the agenda or policy in the GOP, nor would I say that he's making politics better or worse. I just don't think that the people that are making it hostile and partisan are even thinking about Newt, feeling pride in him, or even gives him a nod of thanks or anything like that.
Maybe Newt wasn't the first; I am sure there were beta versions before him. But he was current GOP v1.0. McConnell is basically Newt v4.0.
You really think this? I think McConnell is happy to play as the underdog and loves the business as usual or just loves being an obstructionist. Either way, his days are numbered, imo.
I am not sure what makes you say he likes being an underdog. He has wielded more power as the majority leader than any house or senate member of my lifetime. He isn't an obstructionist, unless he is stopping the other party from doing something. He moves quickly and decisively if it supports his party (and his judges, his reelection, election of other GOP senators to keep his majority seat, etc.).

And you keep saying his days are numbered but I am not sure why you think that. As you said, there are very few ways to remove a sitting senator. Maybe you know something about his health that we don't?
I meant as an obstructionist, like he was for judges and Supreme Court judges in Obama's term. He's going to have a hard time being that as the Senate Minority leader now though. And, I don't know anything about his health.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm
No comment.
Probably for the best. I’m sure he’s staying warm where he’s at.
Like I learned from Bambi, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
3rdside wrote:

Ok .. tough article if you're dyslexic.

They may not be thinking it, but it's undeniable he's influenced GOP behaviour.

It's like me saying I may not be thinking about my finance professor when I make my next purchase decision - which is technically true - but that's to discount his impact on my thought process knowing full well I've been encouraged to think a certain way by him .. which is no different to what's happening with the GOP today; nasty, ignorant, hypocritical and just plain stupid is what I see, all personal character traits of Gingrich, funnily enough.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

FOX News top story is Rush Limbaugh. The story title?

“The Greatest Of All Time”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been reading about the huge Arctic cold wave hitting the country and specifically Texas and their power outages. The GOP was blaming those damn liberal wind turbines for the outages. Apparently they don’t work to well in sub freezing temperatures. Then I heard their wind turbines represent 13% of their power grid so, blaming them seemed like standard Republican BS.

I just watched Rachael Maddow who is a favorite of most Republicans. She did a great job explaining the real issue. The real issue is that Texas is famous for being the nations largest generator of power. They are also the only state that is 100% independent of the rest of the country’s power grid. They are Texas and like being independent of the rest of the nation for power. Since they do their own thing they aren’t regulated by the US government in any way and they like it that way being Texas and all.

It turns out every time it gets this cold in Texas the power goes out and millions lose their power. They did a study to find the problem a long time ago. It turns out their power systems are not insulated against the cold and fail when the temperatures get below freezing. It’s a well known problem. If they were regulated by the US government they would be required to insulate against cold temperatures. We all know that regulations are bad and no state hates regulations more than Texas so, they never fixed the problem and probably never will. Why fix the problem when you can just blame the evil Dems and their evil wind turbines. It turns out you can insulate wind turbines too. Countries like Norway have a lot of wind turbines that seem to work in the cold just fine.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree that they need to upgrade those wind turbines to withstand freezing temps. They are all over the world where it's freezing all the time. I also heard the power % from wind and solar in TX was closer to 21%. It seems that they could find other renewable energy sources. Perhaps hydroelectric isn't quite as prevalently available, but could they do geothermal? Maybe those compact fusion reactors in the Latest Military Hardware forum could help in the future? I don't know the exact answer for this. They need to be able to scale up their power output, in case of another surge in demand if temps fall well below normal lows again. Every power source is going to have some type of drawback or weakness right now.

Germany had a similar problem very recently where their solar panels were covered with snow and the wind wasn't blowing, so they had to fall back to 100% fossil fuels. I don't think this the ultimate answer, but you have to have contingency plans, and at least Germany realizes that they will get snow and possibly no wind for times. https://worldnewsera.com/news/startups/ ... s-startup/
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The vast majority of Texas power comes from Natural Gas and those systems have failed because they weren’t insulated against the cold too. Republicans focusing on Green power is disingenuous. They say this only happens every hundred years in Texas so, they weren’t concerned enough to spend the money. This 100 year problem happened in 1989, 2011 and now 2021. Texas has now asked the evil gubermint to help them and we all get to pay for it. If they would have enacted federal regulations on their grid in the first place none of this would be happening. The bottom line is no matter what the source of power, if you don’t protect it from the cold and it gets cold you are in trouble.

As far as I am concerned Texas should have taken care of this many decades ago and refused. I predict it will get warmer and their power will return and Texas will forget this ever happened and they will ignore the problem once again until the next time and then they can all act surprised. All the Texan politicians can announce they will get to the bottom of it even though they all know exactly what the problem is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, it will get warmer and warmer in TX starting tomorrow according the forecast. They should go back and protect their grid, but you may be right that they will just forget it happened. They shouldn't, as a number of people have died because of this.

My aunt and uncle live in Austin and went to Vegas for Valentines Day. Their friends told them to not come home yet, so they extended their vacation, as they didn't think they would be able to make it to their house from the airport. At least it the power wasn't down in Vegas.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Now, they're blaming covid for lack of inspections on extreme weather preparedness?
https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/e ... s/2555578/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Mars landing happens in 5 minutes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:43 pm
The Mars landing happens in 5 minutes.
They just released a photo of the landing!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Too little too late? And again, deflecting responsibility and placing blame elsewhere when he's the Gov

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-gov-gr ... 45035.html
Abbott is calling on Texas legislators to pass measures mandating the winterization of power generators, as well as provide funding to ensure the winter preparations and modernization occurs.

“I want everyone to know that all of us in the state of Texas believe it is completely unacceptable that you had to endure one minute of the challenges you faced,” Abbott said. “All of us agree on the necessity of action. Not just the action taken to restore your power, but the action to ensure that you never have to endure anything like this ever again.”

Abbott has slammed the Electric Reliability Council of Texas in recent days over its handling of the winter weather event that led to millions of power outages.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This will sound like I'm sticking up for Abbott, but I assure you I'm not. I do want to say that although the ultimate responsibility falls to him, he can't do everything and this is why you have others and they have jobs to do. If it was the responsibility and job of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, and they didn't do their job, you can't expect that Abbott was going to travel everywhere himself, put on the hard hat and clip book and inspect them himself.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I know it's not just a R or D thing. It's human nature to react rather than be proactive. And if it costs money to upgrade things, those things will most likely be ignored until after something goes wrong. But it does ultimately fall on him as Governor. And if 90% of Texas energy is coming from Texas, it should be high on the list of "shit we can't let fail". They had their warnings and recommendations were made fairly recently. Now it's just finger pointing and blaming after the fact while millions suffer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree that they shouldn't be trying to finger point and just fix the problem. Every business that I've worked for and imagine everyone else has worked for try to fix the problems and vulnerabilities as soon as they are discovered. Afterwards, they take a look at why it happened, what went wrong and how can they ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am
I agree that they shouldn't be trying to finger point and just fix the problem. Every business that I've worked for and imagine everyone else has worked for try to fix the problems and vulnerabilities as soon as they are discovered. Afterwards, they take a look at why it happened, what went wrong and how can they ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Apparently not Texas. This is like the 4th or 5th time this has happened in just the last 30 years.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am
Apparently not Texas. This is like the 4th or 5th time this has happened in just the last 30 years.
It's not the same governor for last 30 yrs, so Abbott better be serious about it and they better fix it now, instead of kicking down the road. Otherwise...we know what will happen again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It isn't like he didn't have huge power in Texas last time this happened. He was the AG.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I didn't realize that was part of his job duties and job as AG. Is that true?