The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Mori Chu »

Kevin McCarthy takes a shot at Matt Gaetz.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ouch!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The gloves have been dropped! It is no secret that Gaetz is a creep.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And after all that bootlicking McCarthy did for Trump, that weasel Gaetz ends up taking him out. I think Marjorie has taken over the mantle of most extreme of her party.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He was supposed to hold the line and McCarthy kept cupitulating to the Dems. Nancy Pelosi would never do that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You mean compromise? Get something done?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It wasn't a compromise, it was a total surrender of what the Reps wanted to stand for and what he promised he would do.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What were they standing for?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Compromise is good. The two parties *should* work together. This attitude that nobody should ever bend toward the other party, and doing so is a horrible failure and a loss, is recent and harmful.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not against compromise at all. It just seems like a one way street when both parties feel the other one is so far away from each other. When that happens, you have reasonable bills that get spoiled by a poison pill being inserted. Then when you are forced to vote against a poison pill, you are framed as the bad guy, that wouldn't vote for a reasonable bill, even though they fully know it wasn't anything of the sort w/ the pork added.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

There is no denying that todays Congress gets absolutely nothing done on purpose.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Could you imagine getting paid for gigs, and not actually playing?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Every once in awhile that happens because of weather or a double booking.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

But not regularly, right? I mean I've seen you actually play.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Getting paid to stay home doesn’t happen much. Gigs cancel fairly often, usually way ahead of time for various reasons. A Wedding and the couple break up before the wedding. A birthday party and the birthday person dies before their party.

What Congress is doing is like me going to the gig, setting up and then standing there on stage refusing to play.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Agreed

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another bugaboo of mine is, I don't think the chambers of Congress should be able to just stuff a bill in the filing cabinet without putting it to a vote. Forcing congress critters to actually vote on things and put themselves on record is important for accountability. And there have been several examples of popular bills that would probably pass, but some a-hole speaker of the house / senate majority leader just won't let it go up for a vote. It's a full "veto" by one man that I don't think the founders intended.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but playing devil's advocate, what if it's a ridiculous bill by someone? We could come up with some creative ridiculous bills as examples.

Here I made one up:
Lauren Boebert puts forth a bill to outlaw home pools, unless they have a lifeguard on duty, because most drownings happen in home pools. You know if you save at least one life, it was worth it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 am
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but playing devil's advocate, what if it's a ridiculous bill by someone? We could come up with some creative ridiculous bills as examples.

Here I made one up:
Lauren Boebert puts forth a bill to outlaw home pools, unless they have a lifeguard on duty, because most drownings happen in home pools. You know if you save at least one life, it was worth it.
Let it come forth and be voted down

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So I guess they're going to put forward a motion to oust Speaker Johnson? "They" being Marjorie Taylor Greene and some others.