Environment and climate change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Environment

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, weird, it's almost like the whole globe is warming, or something. Some kind of ... Global warming.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:20 pm
Yeah, weird, it's almost like the whole globe is warming, or something. Some kind of ... Global warming.
Interesting concept. You might just be onto something.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Climate Change Alternative We Ignore (to Our Peril)
Posted on February 16, 2020 by The Ethical Skeptic
https://theethicalskeptic.com/2020/02/1 ... our-peril/
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:22 pm

The Climate Change Alternative We Ignore (to Our Peril)
Posted on February 16, 2020 by The Ethical Skeptic
https://theethicalskeptic.com/2020/02/1 ... our-peril/
Thank you. Have you read this and can give a layman summary? Been heavily heads down in work and quickly realized this guy uses a lot of words and science I'm not familiar with. I'd love to roll my sleeves up and try to digest it all.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm in the same boat, tbh.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm
LOL! I guess I'll stick to IT for a living haha.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm
LOL! I guess I'll stick to IT for a living haha.
As soon as I get some time, I'll try to dive in more deeply. This is probably old hat and light work for some on the forum though. Maybe they'll be kind enough to weigh in after reading it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wille said the warm conditions over Antarctica were spurred by an extreme atmospheric river, or a narrow corridor of water vapor in the sky, on its east coast. According to computer models, the atmospheric river made landfall on Tuesday between the Dumont d’Urville and Casey Stations and dropped an intense amount of rainfall, potentially causing a significant melt event in the area.

The moisture from the storm diffused and spread over the interior of the continent. However, a strong blocking high pressure system or “heat dome,” moved in over east Antarctica, preventing the moisture from escaping. The heat dome was exceptionally intense, five standard deviations above normal.

The excessive moisture from the atmospheric river was able to retain large amounts of heat, while the liquid-rich clouds radiated the heat down to the surface — known as downward long-wave radiation.
Wille explained warm air is often transported over the Antarctic interior this way but not to this extent or intensity. “[T]his is not something we’ve seen before,” he said. “This moisture is the reason why the temperatures have gotten just so high.”

Wille said it’s difficult to attribute this one event to climate change at the moment, but he does think rising temperatures helped prime conditions for such an event. Climate change is “loading the dice” for more situations like this, he said.
Wille and his colleagues are studying how climate change will affect the circulation patterns around Antarctica and whether atmospheric rivers will become more common or more intense.
“We do believe they will become more intense because it just simple physics … but the details, we’re still trying to figure that out. It would be very difficult to say that there’s not a climate change fingerprint on an event like this,” he said.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I started that second ne and said maybe some other time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Where did you get that from?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's no need to read an article that tries to explain away climate change. The cause of these high temperatures is climate change. It is as simple as that. People who come up with elaborate theories to try to minimize or explain away climate change have an agenda, and it's the agenda of "duh." Ignore them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:15 am
There's no need to read an article that tries to explain away climate change. The cause of these high temperatures is climate change. It is as simple as that. People who come up with elaborate theories to try to minimize or explain away climate change have an agenda, and it's the agenda of "duh." Ignore them.
It's obvious that you didn't read it, because if you did, you wouldn't have written what you just did. It doesn't explain away climate change, lol.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I didn’t really understand the weather pattern technical details, but from what I gathered:

Unique weather pattern that Antartica experiences regularly, only this time it was more intense than usual. Not directly caused by global warming, but global warming makes these events more likely and more intense.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s getting serious.

Feds Will Cut States’ Access to Colorado River Water
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-a ... iver-water

California, Arizona and Nevada face major water cutbacks from the Colorado River

“The dry period we're in right now is the worst the western U.S. has seen in 1,200 years.”

“If levels drop just a little further, they will get too low to generate hydropower at the Grand Canyon Dam. That is something that's never happened before. So water managers are going to release a lot less water from Lake Powell to keep those turbines running and to keep supplying electricity to about 5 million people.“

“California, Arizona and Nevada still have enough stored water that they are not going to have to shut off anybody's taps, you know, at least for now. All three of those states - they have also been coming up with new ways to conserve water - recycling it, making rules against lawns, really stretching out their limited water supply. Tom Buschatzke is the top water official in Arizona. He says the first thing to go would be outdoor watering for things like grass and swimming pools.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

John Oliver had an informative segment on it a week ago.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw that too. Time to start researching Stillsuits.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Or move.

Mori Chu

Re: Environment and climate change

Post by Mori Chu »

Water shortage expected in states that draw from the CO River.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah that is just talking about the agreed cuts from 2019. Each year the number goes down.

Also, it is primarily an imaginary game. The "treaty" all of the states and Mexico have for use of the Colorado is based on water volumes that never existed. It is just a shell game. (liked talked about in that Last Week Tonight video above)

And it isn't just the West. Even tropical places like Puerto Rico are struggling with water restrictions due to lack of rain. It isn't getting better any time soon.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It is a little scary. A friend of mine in Phoenix is considering moving back to Ohio because he is afraid the water shortage will decimate housing prices and destroy the economy in Phoenix.