Environment and climate change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Environment and climate change

Post by Nodack »

I saw a couple of articles talking about the Antarctic ice shelf melting and wildlife around the world becoming a thing of the past and thought I would share.

Wildlife in 'catastrophic decline' due to human destruction, scientists warn

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54091048

Wildlife populations have fallen by more than two-thirds in less than 50 years, according to a major report by the conservation group WWF.

Thwaites: 'Doomsday Glacier' vulnerability seen in new maps

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54079587

Scientists may just have identified Thwaites Glacier's Achilles heel.
This Antarctic colossus is melting at a rapid rate, dumping billions of tonnes of ice in the ocean every year and pushing up global sea-levels.

So sad...
Last edited by Nodack on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nodack

Re: Environment

Post by Nodack »

August 2020 was the hottest month ever in Phoenix, breaking record set in July
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/august ... et-in-july

The average high temperature in August also topped 110 degrees for the first time ever, putting our average summer high temperature at 108.5 degrees.

Phoenix has also experienced a record number of days at 110 degrees or higher this year. That count stands at 50 days, which completely shatters the previous record of 33 days set back in 2011. We could still add more to this record tally, too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Our children and grandchildren will never forgive us for what we are doing, and not doing, to the planet. The very future of life itself is at stake. But hey, I hear climate change is just a Chinese hoax!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Northern Hemisphere sees its hottest summer on record
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -on-record
The three-month season from June through August broke a record that had been set in 2016 and tied in 2019.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Humans aren't good at dealing with future issues. They mostly deal with current issues. Well, global warming is now a current issue. I hope it's not too late to do something about it. At least slow it down so a few more generations have a chance before rocketing to Mars to live in a bubble.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sometimes I wonder how we got this far.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm
We never had Trump until now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm
That graphic that shows "If the earth's history were represented by a single year" doesn't it say that humans first appeared at like 5 minutes to midnight on December 31st? We have only been here a blink of an eye in cosmos time.

EDIT--I was a little off. https://biomimicry.net/earths-calendar- ... 20we%20are!

So homosapiens showed up around 11:36 pm.

The industrial revolution started at 2 seconds to midnight...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Two major glaciers are breaking off:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... -thwaites/

I think we are in for some very rough years in the future. I worry about the world we are leaving to our children. Our species may not have very many years left to exist at this rate.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 am
Our species may not have very many years left to exist at this rate.
We’re looking at Malthusian catastrophe, not extinction.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 am
Our species may not have very many years left to exist at this rate.
We’re looking at Malthusian catastrophe, not extinction.
A Malthusian catastrophe (also known as Malthusian trap, population trap, Malthusian check, Malthusian crisis, Malthusian spectre, Malthusian crunch) occurs when population growth outpaces agricultural production, causing population to be limited by famine. It is named after Thomas Robert Malthus, who suggested that while technological advances could increase a society's supply of resources, such as food, and thereby improve the standard of living, the resource abundance would enable population growth, which would eventually bring the per capita supply of resources back to its original level.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wonder if they have bets in Vegas on this. Will we all die from the environment, famine or war? I think all three simultaneously. The environment gets so bad there is famine and a fight over the limited resources left leading to a final war and the end of man.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am
I wonder if they have bets in Vegas on this. Will we all die from the environment, famine or war? I think all three simultaneously. The environment gets so bad there is famine and a fight over the limited resources left leading to a final war and the end of man.
What good would it be to win that bet?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 am
Nodack wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am
What good would it be to win that bet?
maybe it pays out in clean water

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Heat killed a record number of people in Arizona last year, 'a staggering increase'
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 294654001/

With climate change pushing temperatures higher, experts say the growing number of lives lost underlines an urgent need to scale up efforts to protect those who are most vulnerable and mobilize government resources at the local and federal levels to mitigate this chronic hazard.

The deaths of at least 494 people were linked to heat during 2020, state health officials said this week, a preliminary number that may continue to grow as more deaths under investigation are resolved.

Last summer, during Phoenix’s hottest summer on record, the city broke records for the most days with temperatures of 100 degrees or hotter (145 days) and the most days that hit 110 or hotter (53 days).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 am
Heat killed a record number of people in Arizona last year, 'a staggering increase'
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 294654001/

With climate change pushing temperatures higher, experts say the growing number of lives lost underlines an urgent need to scale up efforts to protect those who are most vulnerable and mobilize government resources at the local and federal levels to mitigate this chronic hazard.

The deaths of at least 494 people were linked to heat during 2020, state health officials said this week, a preliminary number that may continue to grow as more deaths under investigation are resolved.

Last summer, during Phoenix’s hottest summer on record, the city broke records for the most days with temperatures of 100 degrees or hotter (145 days) and the most days that hit 110 or hotter (53 days).
The great Heat Hoax!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This was definitely a hot summer. It's tragic that 494 deaths were linked to heat. You would think we of AZ would have figured this thing with heat out by now. I wonder why that was? Were they stuck at home and their air conditioner went out with nowhere to go?

Perhaps we are having wide swings in weather. We've seen snow in Phoenix, Vegas, Malibu, and even Death Valley this past week. I sure hope that we aren't going to have another hot summer this coming year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 pm
This was definitely a hot summer. It's tragic that 494 deaths were linked to heat. You would think we of AZ would have figured this thing with heat out by now. I wonder why that was? Were they stuck at home and their air conditioner went out with nowhere to go?
Mostly people who don’t have air conditioning, or even homes. And occasionally some poor schmo on a hike.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:28 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 pm
Mostly people who don’t have air conditioning, or even homes. And occasionally some poor schmo on a hike.
That's a sad situation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And I imagine some illegal aliens that don’t quite make it all the way.