POTUS/VP Debates

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: POTUS/VP Debates

Post by Nodack »

Today Trump says he’s never heard of the Proud Boys.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

My wife was watching the debate last night and kept saying they should just turn down the mic of anyone refusing to stop talking when it’s not their turn.

Debate commission adding option to cut candidates' mics: report

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... ics-report

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:52 pm
My wife was watching the debate last night and kept saying they should just turn down the mic of anyone refusing to stop talking when it’s not their turn.

Debate commission adding option to cut candidates' mics: report

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... ics-report
My wife and I were saying the same thing last night. But now I think that is a bad idea, actually. You should see the candidates in all that they are. If Wallace would have been muting mics during the 2 minutes each person spoke, or even during the open discussion period, Trump would have looked much more sane.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I suppose. I certainly didn’t mind seeing Trump get repeatedly shut down by Wallace. I’m sure Trump has said a few unkind words about Wallace at one point today.

I was just reading this interview with Wallace about last night.

Chris Wallace Calls Debate ‘a Terrible Missed Opportunity’
https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/30/chris-wall ... portunity/
“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall,” he said.

And he noted that cutting off the audio feed of a presidential candidate is a more consequential act than some pundits give it credit for. “People have to remember, and too many people forget, both of these candidates have the support of tens of millions of Americans,” he said.

“Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there,” Mr. Wallace said, in conclusion. “I’m just disappointed with the results. For me, but much more importantly, I’m disappointed for the country, because it could have been a much more useful evening than it turned out to be.”

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Don't mute anyone. The entire world needs to see exactly who these people are. Muting also allows them to play the victim.

I'll have none of that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm
And it’s perfectly OK for POTUS to be that ignorant of what’s happening in the country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife and I were saying the same thing last night. But now I think that is a bad idea, actually. You should see the candidates in all that they are. If Wallace would have been muting mics during the 2 minutes each person spoke, or even during the open discussion period, Trump would have looked much more sane.
Don't mute anyone. The entire world needs to see exactly who these people are. Muting also allows them to play the victim. I'll have none of that.
I get the mindset behind these quotes, but the debates have a purpose. A challenger like Biden deserves a fair chance to express his policies and plans and to challenge the incumbent. There was a lot to challenge Trump about last night, from the NYT tax expose ("$750") to the Supreme Court / Amy Coney Barrett hypocrisy, to the mishandling of COVID, on and on. But Biden was barely able to finish half a sentence without Trump yelling and interrupting him. It completely threw the debate into a chaotic mess. We weren't able to get the President to be challenged on his various policies and mistakes.

In the current circumstance where Biden is already a very well known politician and is already up by roughly 7 points in the polls, maybe that's okay. But it would be disastrous if Biden were, say, down by 7, or were a relative unknown as a candidate and urgently needed the debate to present himself to the American people. He would get no chance to make his case. Basically in the general case a debate like this is a disaster and robs the American people of an asset that they urgently need to help them decide between the candidates.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm
And it’s perfectly OK for POTUS to be that ignorant of what’s happening in the country.
Remember when he said he didn't know who David Duke was?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I remember him barely knowing a lot of fine people.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pm
Don't mute anyone. The entire world needs to see exactly who these people are. Muting also allows them to play the victim. I'll have none of that.
I get the mindset behind these quotes, but the debates have a purpose. A challenger like Biden deserves a fair chance to express his policies and plans and to challenge the incumbent. There was a lot to challenge Trump about last night, from the NYT tax expose ("$750") to the Supreme Court / Amy Coney Barrett hypocrisy, to the mishandling of COVID, on and on. But Biden was barely able to finish half a sentence without Trump yelling and interrupting him. It completely threw the debate into a chaotic mess. We weren't able to get the President to be challenged on his various policies and mistakes.

In the current circumstance where Biden is already a very well known politician and is already up by roughly 7 points in the polls, maybe that's okay. But it would be disastrous if Biden were, say, down by 7, or were a relative unknown as a candidate and urgently needed the debate to present himself to the American people. He would get no chance to make his case. Basically in the general case a debate like this is a disaster and robs the American people of an asset that they urgently need to help them decide between the candidates.
If you had to put a number on how much the 'debate' hurt or helped each candidate, do you really think that the balance went in favor of Trump?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:47 am
If you had to put a number on how much the 'debate' hurt or helped each candidate, do you really think that the balance went in favor of Trump?
No; it absolutely hurt Trump. My point is that letting any one candidate have the power to completely derail the debate and turn it into a complete useless mess is not a good way to run the debates.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:47 am
No; it absolutely hurt Trump. My point is that letting any one candidate have the power to completely derail the debate and turn it into a complete useless mess is not a good way to run the debates.
That is exactly how I would describe his running of the country. :lol:

I think it was more effective for turning people away from him than would have happened if he were muted.

At this point, you are not going to get a ton more people motivated to vote FOR Biden. Those people are already on board. You have to get those 1-2% of people that have always voted GOP that are willing to not this time, and get them disgraced enough to go do it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I was trying to imagine how I would have handled the situation of Trump talking over me. I think I would have just stopped talking and made him look like even more or an ass while talking over my time and waited patiently for him to stop and then start speaking again as if he hadn't said anything. Basically how I would treat my dog if she just started barking continuously while I was talking to her.

On the other hand, you don't want to appear weak and allow somebody to talk over you. I think a few bursts of MAY I SPEAK? and/or WAIT FOR YOUR TURN!

I also wished Biden would have retorted with "You're right, Sir. Nobody should use the word 'smart' when dealing with you."
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I couldn't believe Biden didn't bring up Herman Cain when Trump said his Tulsa event had not problems.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:52 pm
I couldn't believe Biden didn't bring up Herman Cain when Trump said his Tulsa event had not problems.
Yep, that too. First thing that came to my mind.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
My wife and I were literally yelling at him through the TV. We were invested.

Not sure if it’s universal, but it seems the people in my social network that were trump supporters were much more subdued than Biden supporters. In fact most of the trump supporters I know have admitted they didn’t watch the debate. I wonder if it’s because it’s a reminder of who they are really voting for.

He is a vile man.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Yep, that too. First thing that came to my mind.
It should be noted that Cain still supports Trump, despite being dead. He’s tweeting from the grave.